Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help please!! (long post)

Help please!! (long post)

Old Apr 30th 2001, 3:24 am
grl
Just Joined

grl is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, this might be a little long, but I would really appreciate any comments, or feedback.

My boyfriend and I are concidering going for the K-1 Visa. We have been together for almost 2 years (in September) and we both want to get married. We've discussed marriage on many occasions, and our feelings about it are the same. I'll give you a little background on both of us, so that you know where we stand right now and perhaps it'll help with the feedback.

My boyfriend: Lives in the US. Currently, he is laid off from work. He had been working at his job for about 7 months, and is now on UI (Unemployment Insurance). He has his High School Diploma, but has not gone to college, or any post-secondary school. I'm a bit worried that this may reflect our approval for our Visa. He is 25 years old, and has been charged one time, with assult, to another man, and spent one night in jail. I'm not exactly sure, I have to ask him again, but I think the charges were dropped. I'm wondering if that will be a negative towards us in this whole Visa process or not?

Myself: I am 23, have my High School Diploma, have gone to Community College, and I do have a diploma. I have never had a criminal record, I'm a very good girl, hehe and currently I am unemployed. I was just in the US visiting him for the past 5 months, and am looking for work now. I live in Canada, and am a permanent resident.

Theres the basic info on the both of us. I believe everything I stated will have an effect on this whole K-1 Visa thing, as I have researched and found that having a trade, skill, or a criminal record, may present a problem in getting approval. I am getting a better idea and understanding of the K-1 process, but there are still a few things that I don't quite understand. The one thing that I am really wondering about though, is we plan on him coming to Canada in the future to stay with me, he does not want to live in the US, and nor do I. He and I have discussed this greatly, and both came to this decision. Now, I have read alot of stories and timelines, and whatnot about this K-1 Visa, and from my understanding, (let's use the UK to US K-1 for example), I have placed myself being in the UK, so it makes it easier to compare. So let's say I'm from the UK. I would apply for a petition? IN the UK for my fiance to come here to marry me, correct? and once that has been sent, I'd wait for him to receive a package in the mail by the UK INS for him to fill out? See, it's hard because I haven't read any stories about Canadians wanting to marry an American, and ultimately having the American live here in Canada, so I am having a hard time understanding where I would go to get the applications, and where he'd have to go, etc, etc. Perhaps I have missed the stories of Canada/American K-1 Visa process, but I've looked in alot of places. AND, I don't even know where the interview would take place, would he have the interview here in Canada, or in the US? hehe I'm sorry I've asked so many questions, but like I have said, I did all the research I could, and am now at the point of understanding some things, but just not everything. I'm determined to find out all the information I can before we go ahead with all of this, so that I know exactly what is going on, and exactly what everything means. I don't want to be stuck in the middle of filling out an application and then coming across something that I don't understand, and then mess everything up. I think I have covered basically everything that I am wondering about, and if ANYONE in this forum can answer my questions, or give me some feedback I would appreciate it SO much! Thanks in advance, and Good Luck to all who is going through this whole Visa process.

grl
Old May 1st 2001, 2:18 pm
grl
Just Joined

Default no help?

guess nobody can help me huh? :/
Old May 1st 2001, 2:46 pm
Ber Lazarus

Hello grl,

Perhaps you could rephrase your question a trifle more succinctly

Ber Lazarus conseiller immigration counsellor Montréal, QC Tél: 514 992-1567 Fax: 514
277-4729 E-maill: [email protected]

grl wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

Old May 2nd 2001, 1:53 am
grl
Just Joined

i apologize for not being clear on my question, i should have really gotten straight to the point, but i had so much info to get out of my head, i wanted to get it all down. lol

what i'm asking is this: a clear and understandable process of the K-1 visa, as i have had a difficult time understanding how it all works. I am confused because my boyfriend would like to move to Canada eventually, and when we apply for this fiance visa, do i need to send in the petition first? and then if that gets approved, they would send him his application? and then would he go to an interview in jacksonville? (that's the closest immigration to him), or would he have to come to canada for the interview? i hope somebody can make this clear for me.

and also, with him not having a job at the time, how much money would he need to have to come over here once he is ready and approved to move? is there a certain amount that he has to have over, or how does that go? thanx so much for any responses

grl
Old May 6th 2001, 5:16 am
Shelley

I'm not sure I understand all you are asking - but I hope this helps. First off - a
K-1 visa is a US visa, so you can go to the US get married. http://www.k1faq.com/
This website is your best source of info on how to get this done, and
"alt.visa.us.marriage-based" is the best newsgroup to help you with this. As far as
you and your future hubby living in Canada - if he has a criminal record he is not
even allowed to visit Canada, and would not be allowed to immigrate - at least not
for a time. I believe after 10 years if he has not committed any other offense then a
special permit can be obtained in certain circumstances for immigration to Canada
(not real sure about this). If he wishes to immigrate to Canada so you can get
married the first thing you need to do is check and see if the charges were dropped
or not. If he has no record then you can do a family class immigration (which
includes fiancés) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/efamcls.html see the above link
for info on what you need to do. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 7th 2001, 9:21 am
Jenn

Thank you Shelley! I appreciate your response. I understand what you said about the
criminal record. He has been to Canada to visit me twice now, in the past year, and
he did have one problem getting through the border the first time he came across,
because he didn't have a return ticket on hand. He had never been to Canada in the
past, and we weren't absolutely sure on exactly what he needed, and I never thought
to check that a return ticket was crucial. But he did purchase a return ticket in the
US before he crossed the border, and then was allowed in at no problems. On the
second occasion, he was asked by the customs officer if he had had any previous
convictions, and my boyfriend had said no, because he hadn't thought of the time when
he was charged. Guess it wasn't a big deal to him? It was an aggrivated assult
charge, and the customs officer asked "are you sure?" and he then said, Yes, well I
was charged with aggrivated assult a few years ago, and explained the situation, what
happened, etc. and the customs officer said, you should have just told me what
happened in the first place.. he then let my boyfriend across the border, no
problems. So he IS able to come across the border. We are wanting to eventually
settle in Canada, both him and I want to marry here in Canada. I hope that might
clear up some things you might of not been able to understand in my previous post,
again, sorry for the confusion!

I will contact a professional about his criminal record, to get the appropriate
information in the future though.

Best regards,

Jenn

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
criminal
    >
    >
not
    >
certain
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > i apologize for not being clear on my question, i should have really gotten[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > straight to the point, but i had so much info to get out of my head, i wanted to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > get it all down. lol[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > what i'm asking is this: a clear and understandable process of the K-1 visa, as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i have had a difficult time understanding how it all works. I am confused[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > because my boyfriend would like to move to Canada eventually, and when we apply[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for this fiance visa, do i need to send in the petition first? and then if that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > gets approved, they would send him his application? and then would he go to an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > interview in jacksonville? (that's the closest immigration to him), or would he[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have to come to canada for the interview? i hope somebody can make this clear[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for me.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and also, with him not having a job at the time, how much money would he need to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have to come over here once he is ready and approved to move? is there a certain[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > amount that he has to have over, or how does that go? thanx so much for any[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > responses [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > grl[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -shake what yer momma gave ya-[/usenetquote2]