Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help! Owe tax after working holiday

Help! Owe tax after working holiday

Old Jul 30th 2015, 2:00 am
Just Joined

AllyMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Owe tax after working holiday

I was in Canada on a WHV from August 2013 to May 2014.
I filed my tax return for 2013 before I left through turbo tax which estimated I would be refunded $700.
I put myself down as a non resident because I thought this was what applied to me since I had been in country for only 5 months of the tax year.
After leaving work I travelled a lot so I lost contact on what the outcome of my tax return had been although I did ask CRA to change my address back to my home address.
I then did my 2014 tax return through taxback because I thought it hadn't worked when I tried to do it myself.
They told me that although I was entitled to a 700 refund for the 2014 year I had a debit of 1000 for 2013. So now my refund doesn't even cover my debt or their fee.
I called CRA and they guy told me that this was because taxback filed me as a resident where as I filed myself as non resident so I wasn't entitled to the personal tax credits. He said I need to ask for a reassessment as a resident because I was a part of the year resident, so that I can get the tax credits prorated.
I was then on the phone to someone else sorting out my online services who told me that actually I was filed as a non resident on both my returns so this wasn't the reason for the discrepancy but he didn't know what was.
Now I have to call back when the office opens.
From my own research the only thing I can think for why I would owe tax is that they think I had other world income.
I spent most of the year travelling so I only had a job in the UK for the first few months of the year but I did not put this on my return.
Now that I have been told two different things by the CRA it doesn't seem worth it to fill out the reassessment form until I have clarified this but does anyone have any advice or experience. I don't understand why the outcome of the two tax years is so different when I earn't very little both years.