Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help a newbie re police transfer to Ontario region

Help a newbie re police transfer to Ontario region

Old Apr 1st 2017, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

xmamox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help a newbie re police transfer to Ontario region

Hi, I am a British Police Officer with 17 years service and am in talks with an Ontario force regarding a potential move.
I have seen some news that prohibits transfer of police pension to Canada and want to know if this is true?

Also, how easy is it to join the Canadian pension as a expat? I think it would be the OMERS pension scheme, that is certainly the one this service uses. Would I be allowed to join that as a Brit?

Interested in any unseen pitfalls that may come my way if I take the plunge!
Real newcomer to thinking of moving so apologies if this is real simple but I am struggling to get any real up to date information on the internet...most relates to 2008/2009 when Brit cops went in bulk.

Thanks in advance for help.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help a newbie re police transfer to Ontario region

Here is the bad news to become a Police Officer in Canada or any Police Force within Canada you must usually be a Canadian citizen or hold Permanent Residence status in Canada.

Years ago several forces went on a recruiting spree and hired UK officers but sadly that is no longer the case.

You can always see if you are eligible to get PR status by seeing what you score on the CRS for any skilled worker providing you also score 67 or higher on the FSW grid points.
Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

The CRS table is found in this link and you need at least over 430 points
Entry criteria and the Comprehensive Ranking System
Old Apr 4th 2017, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

tomu is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid that I can't answer your pension question, though I'm sure that there will be someone on here who has moved previously who will be able to.

I'm already in the process of emigrating to Canada as a serving UK Police Officer - although I'm far behind you in terms of experience as I only have three years service. Fortunately I'll be moving over as a dependent on my partner's EE application as between us we have a CRS score of 472 and meet all of the other requirements, save for the funds requirement which we're working towards...

My question to you is: Would you mind sharing with me the details of who you've been talking to and what they've been able to tell you about joining the police in Canada as an ex-British officer? From my research (somewhat mirroring what Former Lancastrian has to say) I've not been able to find any force who are willing to deal with you until you've already got your PR sorted and most of the ex-British police who have moved over did so several years back when they were recruiting internationally.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Here is the bad news to become a Police Officer in Canada or any Police Force within Canada you must usually be a Canadian citizen or hold Permanent Residence status in Canada.
wasn't you in the British military as well as being a UK police officer before you came to Canada, then now working for the Federal Gov't as a immigration or in the Border control service sector of that government?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
wasn't you in the British military as well as being a UK police officer before you came to Canada, then now working for the Federal Gov't as a immigration or in the Border control service sector of that government?
Yes I was a Military Police Officer HM Forces and a bobbie in Lancashire.
I got PR under spousal sponsorship and applied for CBSA as a PR and accepted and the rest is history. Canadian citizens do get priority over a PR on hiring if too many applicants.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Stuart3581 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm am an officer from the UK on a career break to see if I can make it here in Canada, Ontario. It is a mine field.
To be PC here you must be Canadian citizen or have PR status. But it does not stop there. You need to have 4 year college or degree behind you. Then pass the PADI WTC and then the PREP test. Only once you have completed all of this. You've got to get hired. You will start at top rate UK PC. Then it's off to Ontario Police College for 13 weeks. There is no back door here. You can not transfer the pension either. I've come over on a study visa and can't even get on as a special constable(These are paid here) as the testing is expensive and process is long.
The government clip your wings and every employer is the same. Simply look at indeed.ca. it's stupid. I've been out on work placements and the cheif offered me a job but he can not hire me due to my immigration status. I have done some hard things in my life and I have family supporting me through this but I think it is without doubt the hardest process to complete. The NOC does not register officer as cat 0 A or B. Therefore you loss massive amounts of points on express entry. I am seeking another route. If I am successful in my approach I'll share it. My advise is to research research research and get PR from the UK if you can. Best of luck.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:44 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by Stuart3581
Hi. I'm am an officer from the UK on a career break to see if I can make it here in Canada, Ontario. It is a mine field.
To be PC here you must be Canadian citizen or have PR status. But it does not stop there. You need to have 4 year college or degree behind you. Then pass the PADI WTC and then the PREP test. Only once you have completed all of this. You've got to get hired. You will start at top rate UK PC. Then it's off to Ontario Police College for 13 weeks. There is no back door here. You can not transfer the pension either. I've come over on a study visa and can't even get on as a special constable(These are paid here) as the testing is expensive and process is long.
The government clip your wings and every employer is the same. Simply look at indeed.ca. it's stupid. I've been out on work placements and the cheif offered me a job but he can not hire me due to my immigration status. I have done some hard things in my life and I have family supporting me through this but I think it is without doubt the hardest process to complete. The NOC does not register officer as cat 0 A or B. Therefore you loss massive amounts of points on express entry. I am seeking another route. If I am successful in my approach I'll share it. My advise is to research research research and get PR from the UK if you can. Best of luck.
1 NOC 4311 Police officer is NOC B
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes I was a Military Police Officer .
A brass monkey that explains so much now.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
A brass monkey that explains so much now.
Monkey yes, brass monkey no Im from Lancashire and our streets are paved with Gold Apparently I was told I looked rather smart wearing that Red Cap.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, interesting thread. I am in a very lucky position where we have had our confirmation of permanent residency through after a relatively easy and quick application process. I'm a UK bobby and am the accompanying party with my spouse being the main applicant.

My business related experience gained prior to joining the police certainly appeared to be a lot more attractive in terms of NOC rather than my experience as a police officer which may seem a little bizarre to some as it is naturally thought that being a police officer is an occupation with transferable skills.

We have the exciting time ahead, deciding where to live and what to do as future careers and will be in Canada later this year to research the area. I cannot see myself applying for any Canadian police services any time soon... not as an officer anyway. It's not easy and will be starting from fresh. How did you find the CBSA application process? Quite interested in Community Peace Officer roles too.

I am hoping that I can apply for a career break with the job with the intention of finding some kind of law enforcement role to broaden my skills, abilities and professional development, spending a good few years out in Canada before making the decision to return for the end of the career break or stay in Canada.

Interesting to know any personal experience with this.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

bathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
Hi, interesting thread. I am in a very lucky position where we have had our confirmation of permanent residency through after a relatively easy and quick application process. I'm a UK bobby and am the accompanying party with my spouse being the main applicant.

My business related experience gained prior to joining the police certainly appeared to be a lot more attractive in terms of NOC rather than my experience as a police officer which may seem a little bizarre to some as it is naturally thought that being a police officer is an occupation with transferable skills.

We have the exciting time ahead, deciding where to live and what to do as future careers and will be in Canada later this year to research the area. I cannot see myself applying for any Canadian police services any time soon... not as an officer anyway. It's not easy and will be starting from fresh. How did you find the CBSA application process? Quite interested in Community Peace Officer roles too.

I am hoping that I can apply for a career break with the job with the intention of finding some kind of law enforcement role to broaden my skills, abilities and professional development, spending a good few years out in Canada before making the decision to return for the end of the career break or stay in Canada.

Interesting to know any personal experience with this.
Hi Adam

This sounds very similar to us. We arrived in Vancouver at the end of January as permanent residents landing. We are currently on a great recce round Canada and looking for somewhere to settle.

I have wanted to join the police force since I was 21 and shortly before we were accepted as residents of canada I had finally completed all assessments, medicals, physicals and interviews to join Avon and Somerset police, given my training dates, only to turn them down due to the move to Canada. So policing is still something I would like to do here in Canada and its something I've been exploring thoroughly and speaking with municipal forces right across canada. So best of luck to you Adam.

To the original poster. Municipal police departments is the way to go, RCMP you will need at least 10 years residency from my understanding, but a declining number of the recruits might mean this will change soon. RCMP is close to military like training though, on campus living for 26 weeks in Reggina and your family are not allowed to stay with you. Many many municipal forces however have open recruitment and many of them pay more. Not that is important to me.

You will need to be a permanent resident before you can apply though. I am not quite sure where the poster who said you need four years college has got that from, as from my extensive research, the only force who have required that is West Vancouver Police Department, all other departments have required two main things: 1.) Citizen or Permanent Residents and 2.) Grade 12 diploma or international equivalent. So for the UK that would mean finishing A Levels I would imagine. You can have your education evaluated and converted by several companies, such as WES, but whomever is the lead applicant on your permanent residency profile/application will need to get this done anyway.

Ontario Provincial Police have a fairly good program but you will be required to go wherever they send you once you graduate as a cadet.

I have spoken to LOTS of ex officers, current officers, and had my first ride along with Saanich Police Department this week and can say without question, from my recent experience with Avon and Somerset, it is nowhere near as difficult to become a police officer here as it is in the UK now (incredible given the starting salary of a cadet is on average DOUBLE what a cadet is paid in the UK). My application and assessment process took approximately 14 months before I was given my training dates in the UK. I could be wrong, but from the people I have spoken to and from the tons of research I have done, it is nowhere near as slow going here.

Last edited by bathexpats; Mar 4th 2018 at 7:24 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 6:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you have looked at our sub-forum for police officers and those wanting to join? Police - British Expats

I don't like to direct people 'off forum', however you might find this one - for police officers and those wishing to join - of use.

Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, thank you for the info both.

There appears to be so many more options available in Canada when it comes to a career law enforcement. We will most likely settle around the Calgary general area as I have previously completed an IEC work permit in the Rockies and loved it there.

Best of luck with your application for your chosen force and settling in Canada.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

bathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting article if anyone fancies a bit of a read.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle38085153/