Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help dealing with Barclaycard

Help dealing with Barclaycard

Old Jul 17th 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help dealing with Barclaycard

Hello I am looking help on dealing with Barclaycard.

I know they have issues if you don't have a UK address.

I have managed thus far by giving my friend's UK address, they know I'm in Canada, and they have my Canadian address as well where they have mailed cards etc.

I was in the UK last week and my friend gave me a letter Barclaycard had just sent me saying:

"We're going to send your cards to your main address.

Hello Mrs Snowy

At the moment we're sending your cards to somewhere other than your main address. From 10 August 2017 we'll have to send your cards to the address at the top of this letter. That's because it's a condition of your account that we send your cards to your main address."

Then they provide a list of countries and overseas territories where they'll send cards:

England, Scotland, Gib, Isle of Man, Wales, NI, CI

I have had my Barclaycard since 1981 (yes I'm that old!). I use it all the time in Canada and for stuff in the UK. I really want to keep it, I'm quite emotionally attached to it and have good credit rating with them, but don't really want to go through the hassle of my friend having to send the card on etc. with the risks that may involve.

Before I get in touch with them to plead my case, has anyone got any suggestions for me as to how I present things to them?

I don't have a Barclays bank account if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance.

A tired and jet lagged Snowy.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help dealing with Barclaycard

I've been using my mum's address - as if I'm living there - since 2004. I use a gmail email account so it doesn't look Canadian. My B/Card is not the only UK card I do that with (I have no B/C bank account either, I only have this one as it started as Egg ) and she mails them on to me in a different envelope.

I just had a look at my current card and it runs for three years, so it's not that often it gets sent.

It's probably more secure in the mail UK to here than within the UK where bank things look they came from...well, a bank, whereas what I get here looks more like a greeting card.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bristol. But do BC mail the cards or are they signed for? If for example my friend had to retrieve them from the Sorting Centre she wouldn't have my ID to do so and she has a different surname from me.

Thanks again
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

None of mine are signed for. Just normal delivery.

One (not B/C) I have to validate with a phone call which I do from here.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK thanks so that's helpful.

Then my friend would send them on ... registered ??

Snowy x
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

My Wife gave Barclaycard our new address, by phone, when we moved to Hungary, no problem.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I've heard that people have done that too ... I wonder how I deal with them over this

I had to plead with them last time to extend the Canadian address for a further year. I've managed just over 5 years now with extensions.

Kind regards.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Snowy560
OK thanks so that's helpful.

Then my friend would send them on ... registered ??

Snowy x
My mum sends them normal mail. I'm very trusting...I just sent off my PR Card renewal application ordinary mail.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know I think you should be applying for Citizenship as well!

I met someone on the plane yesterday travelling to YVR with her family. Canadian, lived in Britain for 20 years married to a British person, 4 kids, all duals. She has ILR in the UK (equiv of PR) she said she couldn't think why she needed to become British. I just told her the usual "you're always better off ...." but I admit people have their own personal reasons and I know I should respect that ... my dad had ILR in the UK up until the last few years of his life then he caved in and took Citizenship, regretfully giving up his previous citizenship to do so.

Back to Barclaycard ...

PS: I have to say: I always mail stuff to IRCC XPress Post tracked (and sometimes signed for but not always). So yes you're very trusting Bristol!! I appreciate your help on this.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 17th 2017 at 6:03 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:15 pm
Oscar nominated

You know I think you should be applying for Citizenship as well!
You never know...renouncing the UK may not be far away.

...yes you're very trusting Bristol!!
Canada Post is very good to me, as can be seen in the Canada Post thread.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:22 pm
Oscar nominated

...Back to Barclaycard ...
I just had an interesting experience with them.

I got an email from them about some gadgetry called BPay.

It seemed to operate like a tap card. I was curious although not in the least bit interested in having one even though they were offering it free. I don't like the idea that someone can find my card (or gadget) and have me pay for what they buy. At least with a PIN a lost card/gadget is more secure.

Anyway, because I was curious I clicked on the link in the email but nothing happened. I clicked in a different bit and got "congratulations, your order is on its way" or something along those lines.

I sent off a secure email telling them I was just curious but that I didn't want it and please cancel it.

They emailed back to say they couldn't stop it but just decline it - even though it's small enough to go in the letter box...remember I use my mum's address in England.

So I alerted my mum to either decline it or mark it not wanted and to send it back.

I also emailed BC and said how surprised I was that a click in an email (rather than on the website) resulted in the item being ordered and also that it couldn't be stopped.

My next contact was another email about my "complaint" which had been escalated and they'd notify me of the outcome.

I emailed back to say there really was no need, I was just making an observation.

That's the last I heard.

I've just discovered a £25 goodwill payment on my account.