Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help with answers re: benefits for family in NS

Help with answers re: benefits for family in NS

Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Maxbrooke09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with answers re: benefits for family in NS

Hi, I don't know if anybody can help me, me and my husband are moving to Nova Scotia in a few months, my husbands income will be $54000 gross annually, on this sole income how much tax credits or benefits would we be entitled to per month with PR status, we have 2 children that will be 12 and 6. The benefits calculator says we would be entitled to 600-700 dollars per month but we don't see how that much is possible as it would be nowhere near that large amount here in the u.k. Does anybody have any personal experience or knowledge of this system? Anything will be helpful, thank you.

Last edited by Maxbrooke09; Jun 13th 2017 at 9:58 am. Reason: Needed more info
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with answers re: benefits for family in NS

Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread (the immi section of the forum is only for visa related queries), and also retitled it for you just so that those in NS will see it. Please have a read of the 'newbies' sticky thread (link in my signature or on the main page) which will help you figure things out.

And best of luck with the move.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxbrooke09
Hi, I don't know if anybody can help me, me and my husband are moving to Nova Scotia in a few months, my husbands income will be $54000 gross annually, on this sole income how much tax credits or benefits would we be entitled to per month with PR status, we have 2 children that will be 12 and 6. The benefits calculator says we would be entitled to 600-700 dollars per month but we don't see how that much is possible as it would be nowhere near that large amount here in the u.k. Does anybody have any personal experience or knowledge of this system? Anything will be helpful, thank you.
That sounds about right. The Canada Child Benefit is a new program that the current government introduced last year and it is quite generous to families with a modest income. It also has the advantage of being tax-free.

It is a federal program so not limited to Nova Scotia. You should apply for it as soon as you arrive to live in Canada.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Use the official calculator for child benefit/tax credits including Provincial.

Child and family benefits calculator

More: Child and family benefits and for NS tax credits Nova Scotia

Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...we have 2 children that will be 12 and 6. The benefits calculator says we would be entitled to 600-700 dollars per month but we don't see how that much is possible as it would be nowhere near that large amount here in the u.k....
If you think of it as just "Child Benefit" than Canada comes out ahead of the UK.

Add in all the rest of the income related stuff like Housing Benefit, working tax credits, financial assistance with eye tests, glasses, NHS dental treatment, prescription exemption as well as non income related matters like the low fixed fee for prescriptions compared to full price and even co-payments, then the UK comes out ahead.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If you think of it as just "Child Benefit" than Canada comes out ahead of the UK.

Add in all the rest of the income related stuff like Housing Benefit, working tax credits, financial assistance with eye tests, glasses, NHS dental treatment, prescription exemption as well as non income related matters like the low fixed fee for prescriptions compared to full price and even co-payments, then the UK comes out ahead.
They are looking at a low-income based Housing Benefit https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...e-renters.html

There's Working tax credits in Canada Refundable tax credit for Working income tax benefit: Application and Eligibility

Youth* and over 65's - and those with specific health issues - can get free eye testing https://fyidoctors.com/en/blog/2016/...he-government/ *age depends on Province

Nova Scotai (and Ontario) cover some dental costs for children https://novascotia.ca/dhw/children-dental/

Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
They are looking at a low-income based Housing Benefit https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...e-renters.html
That's good to know.

Yes, my stepdaughter gets something.
The thing about refundable tax credits, though, is your income needs to be high enough to pay tax to get it refunded.

My wife would have qualified for some disability tax credits to reduce tax but our income wasn't high enough to pay income tax. There was (don't know if there still is) also also this weird catch 22 thing whereby if there's no financial gain in being registered disabled, they didn't register you. So that excludes you from other things that you might otherwise be included in.

Youth* and over 65's - and those with specific health issues - can get free eye testing https://fyidoctors.com/en/blog/2016/...he-government/ *age depends on Province

Nova Scotai (and Ontario) cover some dental costs for children https://novascotia.ca/dhw/children-dental/
Certainly there are some systems that are useful and not very well publicised. But they're all a bit fractured and mean spirited.

Taking into account your mother's GIS and her savings when covering an expensive medication? Cashing in your life insurance and throwing away a $40k pay-out to your kids on your life's contributions for a paltry $2000 that would be gone on meds within 2 weeks? Shocking, absolutely shocking system and I don't know why Canadians stand for it.

Anyway, best not to remain bitter about it It's all in the past now.

Despite the UK cuts over the years, their support systems are more inclusive than here and at more realistic levels without having to be on your knees before qualifying.

But, Child Benefit....more generous.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 2:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about refundable tax credits, though, is your income needs to be high enough to pay tax to get it refunded.
It is the other way around. Non-refundable tax credits can be used to reduce your tax payable to zero. They have no further use.

Refundable tax credits reduce your tax to zero then, if there are any unused credits, they are paid to you.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:47 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is the other way around. Non-refundable tax credits can be used to reduce your tax payable to zero. They have no further use.

Refundable tax credits reduce your tax to zero then, if there are any unused credits, they are paid to you.
If your tax is zero to begin with do you get the whole credit paid?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

If your tax is zero to begin with do you get the whole credit paid?
Yes.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 8:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes.
Shame...that tax credit would have come in handy. Oh well.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

There's Working tax credits in Canada Refundable tax credit for Working income tax benefit: Application and Eligibility

Not completely ........... at least, optometrists in BC can charge an extra amount over and above the rate negotiated with the government for 0ver 65's

We each pay approximately $45 over and above the "free" rate every time we go for our annual exam.