Reload this Page >

Health and safety

Health and safety

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Nicholas7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health and safety

Hi all,
Recently I went to a hair saloon in Montreal for a male hair cut. The saloon is in West Island Shopping mall.

The barber shaved my sideburns with a used razor - he did not change the blade. After the hair cut I inquired why he did not put a new one? He replied, he only changes when he sees blood on the blade!!!

I was so devastated as this could be a serious health risk. Since then I have been looking for somewhere to make a complaint with no success. Public Health, Ministry of Health, local council..... no one wants to know about it.

I live in Toronto now and I am concerned about some of the saloons and Nail Spa practices (for my wife).

Please help me to find the right regulatory body! I am sure they have one here.

Thank you so much.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health and safety

If it wasn't a disposable razor, it has to be disinfected between customers (certainly in Alberta, from this Google):

http://www.health.alberta.ca/documen...airstyling.pdf

Was it a disposable?

Here' the Ontario version:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/p.../pssp_2008.pdf

Go and have a read. Also ignore all of those adverts on TV with big Pharma companies trying to peddle drugs to prevent you getting this, that and the other...

Standards and practices are probably higher here than they are in the UK, at there are far fewer ancient barbers and steamed-up hairdressing salons here...

Last edited by withabix; Feb 22nd 2015 at 3:05 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:03 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Cut throat razors are not thrown away after every shave so why would a blade be any different? He most likely dips it in some kind of liquid sterile fluid
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicholas7
Hi all,
Recently I went to a hair saloon in Montreal for a male hair cut. The saloon is in West Island Shopping mall.

The barber shaved my sideburns with a used razor - he did not change the blade. After the hair cut I inquired why he did not put a new one? He replied, he only changes when he sees blood on the blade!!!

I was so devastated as this could be a serious health risk. Since then I have been looking for somewhere to make a complaint with no success. Public Health, Ministry of Health, local council..... no one wants to know about it.

I live in Toronto now and I am concerned about some of the saloons and Nail Spa practices (for my wife).

Please help me to find the right regulatory body! I am sure they have one here.

Thank you so much.
Jesus wept.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Jesus wept.
....hopefully not on the blade, wouldn't want it to go rusty
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Go to a different barber, surely has to be a lot simpler, or do you plan a crusade on every personal care business in the province before frequenting the store?

One could prepare a questionnaire for them to answer before using them.

How do you manage in a restaurant with previously used cutlery or crockery? Paper cups and plastic knives and forks?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Aviator for your thoughtful comments.
However this could be much more serious than 'restaurant with previously used cutlery'.

Very good chance of contracting hepatitis, nail fungal infection or aids. I am sure you will appreciate the seriousness. The rules are there for a reason.

Please accept my apology if I had offended you, but I was not aware of this happens in restaurants.

Generally I thought the safety records in the UK (Especially London) are very good. Please do not crucify me for this comment.

withabix - thank you. I will have a look. It was disposable. In my opinion even if it is re-usable, they should be 'sterilised' if you really want to prevent Aids etc. Just washing in disinfectant liquid or alcohol is not enough to prevent spread of disease.

The educational level and the background vary hugely for saloon workers in Ontario. Therefore one has to be vigilant.

Last edited by Nicholas7; Feb 22nd 2015 at 4:16 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Very good chance of contracting hepatitis, nail fungal infection or aids. I am sure you will appreciate the seriousness. The rules are there for a reason.
A very very tiny chance.

Health information leaflets are written for hypochondriacs.

Last edited by withabix; Feb 22nd 2015 at 4:05 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Health information leaflets are written for hypochondriacs.
Hypochondria? That's the one thing I don't suffer from.

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

They don't leave the razors sitting around, they are sterilized between customers. I have lived in Canada most of my life and have had countless barbers use razors on me without ever once having a problem so I highly doubt you need to be so concerned about this.

As for Health & Safety in general - Canada is much more sensible in this regard than Britain is, where everything seems to be ridiculously over the top so you had best adjust and lose your British mentality towards health & safety.

Last edited by colchar; Feb 22nd 2015 at 5:11 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

However this could be much more serious than 'restaurant with previously used cutlery'.

Since I have never once heard of that happening at a barber shop here in Canada I doubt you have much to worry about. And if you are overly worried about it, I think you have bigger issues to deal with.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Good heavens!!

If your post is serious, and if you are so concerned, why on earth did you not enquire BEFORE your shave ?

You probably SHOULD avoid restaurants, doctor's offices, hospitals, schools & daycares too, if you're really concerned .
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for all your wonderful enlightening comments.

It has been an eye opener in more than one way. I also learned that some us are lot more cleaver / wiser than the medical professional.

I hope this discussion continues and will be helpful to some ...

Some interesting read:
Manicure, spa and tattoo health violations disclosed | Toronto Star
Nail salons should be regulated, says Toronto’s medical officer of health | Metro
Dirty pedicures: The ugly side of pretty feet | CTV News

withabix - thank you. It is very useful.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 6:39 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Did he shave hair off your nails too, urrk that's yukky !!
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar

As for Health & Safety in general - Canada is much more sensible in this regard than Britain is, where everything seems to be ridiculously over the top...
I've often wondered why workplace deaths in Canada are so much higher than the UK. Now I know it's because they are sensible while the UK is too over the top. Or should that be careful.

UK 2013/14 = 133
Canada (most recent available) 2012 = 977 and average 972 2000-2012

Half the population, 7 times as many deaths. What's that, a death rate 14 times higher in Canada?

No doubt some of this is down to extreme weather and dangerous occupations, but does it explain 14 times as many or is H&S maybe done better in the UK?

Can't recall seeing roofers in the UK with just a plank to walk on rather than scaffolding.

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 22nd 2015 at 9:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.