Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance - how does it work?

Health Insurance - how does it work?

Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:05 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health Insurance - how does it work?

I have just spent about 30 mins trawling through the site but can't seem to find an answer to one question.... how does it work?

Say hubby and I get our 3 month insurance, followed then by the 'normal' provincial insurance paid I assume in our tax contributions - do we also then need additional private insurance or are we fully covered under the province insurance?

Also, if, and when, we need regular treatment (visits to doc, dentists or whatever) or even, God forbid, hospital stay, do we pay upfront for the whole costs, part of the costs or nothing and then does our insurance give us the money back (all or part?)

Only asking because we have read one insurance document and it looked like they only covered us for 80% of costs so if we're stuck with a hideous medical bill we have to pay the 20%???

I am hoping I / we are misreading this and being a bit daft cos there is NO WAY we could afford to cover 20% of major costs...

Confused of Devon
Ki
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Health Insurance - how does it work?

Also can someone advise. If husband gets health insurance benefits from his employer, does that just cover him or the family?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ki76
I have just spent about 30 mins trawling through the site but can't seem to find an answer to one question.... how does it work?

Say hubby and I get our 3 month insurance, followed then by the 'normal' provincial insurance paid I assume in our tax contributions - do we also then need additional private insurance or are we fully covered under the province insurance?
For the first three months covered by private insurance I would guess that you will have to pay up front and then claim through the private company.

After the three months are up and you have Alberta Health Care coverage (paid for by your monthly premiums, $88 per month for family and $44 for individual). You will need additional private insurance to cover the cost of prescriptions, ambulance, and other items not covered by Alberta Health Care.

Also, if, and when, we need regular treatment (visits to doc, dentists or whatever) or even, God forbid, hospital stay, do we pay upfront for the whole costs, part of the costs or nothing and then does our insurance give us the money back (all or part?)
Visits to Doctor, hospital stays and all drugs while in hospital are covered by Alberta Health Care and all you have to do is show your AHC card you will not be charged for any of these services.

Only asking because we have read one insurance document and it looked like they only covered us for 80% of costs so if we're stuck with a hideous medical bill we have to pay the 20%???

I am hoping I / we are misreading this and being a bit daft cos there is NO WAY we could afford to cover 20% of major costs...
Dental care is NOT covered by AHC so private coverage would be required if you want coverage. Also as I said earlier that drugs, ambulance, glasses and other items are not covered by AHC and private insurance is available for that. In most cases that coverage is 80% insured, you pay the other 20%, most insurance companies want you to pay up front then claim the 80% back from them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:03 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve - that is extremely helpful and I actually understand it now LOL

Not too different from the UK then really...

Ki
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:27 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Steve - that is extremely helpful and I actually understand it now LOL

Not too different from the UK then really...

Ki
We get Alberta Health premiums and additional coverage through Manulife, included in my husbands package. Both cover the whole family, and like Steve said, it is usual to have to pay 20% of the costs, with the insurers covering the remaining 80%.
For prescriptions, we pay ALL upfront, then claim back
For Dental, they calculate the 20% charge there and then.

I guess it will depend on the insurer

Deb
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:51 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hangman
For the first three months covered by private insurance I would guess that you will have to pay up front and then claim through the private company.

After the three months are up and you have Alberta Health Care coverage (paid for by your monthly premiums, $88 per month for family and $44 for individual). You will need additional private insurance to cover the cost of prescriptions, ambulance, and other items not covered by Alberta Health Care.
rs
Steve
If you come to Alberta from outside of Canada, you're covered by Alberta's provincial health care from the day you land... but if you move here from another province, you have to wait 3 months for coverage.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
If you come to Alberta from outside of Canada, you're covered by Alberta's provincial health care from the day you land... but if you move here from another province, you have to wait 3 months for coverage.
Thanks Ro,

Seeing as I have been here so long I was unaware of that point.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If however you come on work permits you have to wait the 3 months.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Hangman
Thanks Ro,

Seeing as I have been here so long I was unaware of that point.

Cheers
Steve
Understandable oldtimer . Being a 'newbie' to Canada, I was made fully aware of it!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:26 am
Cowtown

I'm as confused as Hangman ... new PR's can buy coverage from day one ... you're really saying that people from other province and people on work permits have to wait three months??

Got to be the first time PR's have an advantage over other new arrivals ...

Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I'm as confused as Hangman ... new PR's can buy coverage from day one ... you're really saying that people from other province and people on work permits have to wait three months??

Well, I'm not a PR but a returning CND citizen and as a new resident of Alberta from outside of Canada, I have coverage from day one.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown

As I understand it if you move province, eg BC to NS, your old provinces, in this case BC, medical insurance is valid for the first 3 the months in your new province, NS. They will just do some form of cross charging thing.

This is what I was told by a Canadian friend of mine, I am just regurgitating it for the hell of it. I believe my friend but you might want to check.

Dozzzzy