Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Jun 16th 2003, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

philoconnor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance

I have just arrived in BC from the UK and am currently looking for work. As such I do not have any company provided medical cover, and my travel insurance is just about to run out.

I've been looking for health insurance but am only getting crazy quotes - Bupa Internaltional £4000 for the year!!!!

Can anybody suggest a good health insurance package?

Thanks

POC
Old Jun 19th 2003, 7:22 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I thought enrolling with BC's own Medical Services Plan was obligatory?

http://www.hlth.gov.bc.ca/msp/

Clare
Old Jun 19th 2003, 6:02 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally posted by philoconnor
I have just arrived in BC from the UK and am currently looking for work. As such I do not have any company provided medical cover, and my travel insurance is just about to run out.

I've been looking for health insurance but am only getting crazy quotes - Bupa Internaltional £4000 for the year!!!!

Thanks

POC
for tax-funded health coverage i think there's a 3 month wait period from when yo uarrive in country & even then you'll need a SIN number.
have you shopped around yellow pages people who have casual work (without benefits) buy extra health coverage all the time from private insurers so you must be able to buy basic coverage.
you could always phone the local walk-in clinic for advice as they probably deal with such situations frequently.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 3:28 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally posted by philoconnor

Thanks

POC
Get yourself to an Autoplan agent where you are and ask for visitors insurance - you have to do it within 30 days of arrival I believe. It starts at around $1.80 per day and is the only insurance you can get in BC that will give you immediate coverage as a visitor. Any Autoplan agent will do it - I used the one in Save On for my parents and friends who have come for longer than the standard holiday.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

also try

www.canadasure.com

and

www.bluecross.ca

Drew