Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Have PR But Staying In Scotland

We landed in March this year and have just put an offer in on a house - in Cornwall!!!
As you say, 3 years was a long time to wait.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

Most people who stay out that long have good reason for that mostly job. What happens when one stays out for more that 3 yrs out of the 5yrs, can they still come into Canada?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

chutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nice

Originally Posted by TigerShark
Hi,

Our 3 years out of 5 to retain our PR status ends in May this year, and having made one final reccie trip in November last year we have finally made the decision to stay in Scotland.

GREAT POST. You've also adopted a very sensible approach to your potential move. We have also chosen to take your line, albeit we are a few years behind you.

When we get our visa - should be this Summer - we will also land and use the 2 in 5 rule to make some more trips. We have a house exchange in July 2009 for a month to Kamloops. I am also currently in Banff, Canada, doing a 3-month gap programme to achive my Candian Ski Instructor Qualifications. Whilst Banff is in no way representative of the Country, or even the State, and I have no intention of being a Ski Instructor (Fun only!) it has allowed me plenty of time to do some research.

I am slowly but surely coming to the realisation that we were chasing the dream based upon the Cheap, big Houses on MLS.ca, the prospect of Mortgage-free living, and the outdoor activities available on the doorstop. But now, the rose-tinted spectacles are off - a few of my thoughts so far:

- the employment situation here is not good. Uk qualifications are not recognised and employment protection is non-existant. I wouldn't give up my good salary and security for the chance of a better life.

- The holiday entitlement is derisory. What's the point being here if you have to spend all your time working?!

- The cost of living is just as expensive (or cheap, howvere you wish to see it) as the UK. No advantages there.

- The language is the same, but the culture is entirely different.

- Canada is isolated and insular. The distances and cost of travel make it difficult to go around the world. Holidays, with the little entitlement you have, are probably going to be on the NA Continent due to cost and limited time.

We have waited so long to get to where we are and are still willing to spend the money to give us the choice to go. However, the more research we do, the less we like what we find. Or should I re-phrase that... the more we realise how fortunate we are already.

Personally, I think we will end up staying in the UK but we will probably buy a holiday property somewhere in Europe to enable us to have access to the Great Outdoors - climbing, walking, skiing and mountain biking. But we can still come over if our further recce trips change our opinions.

Tigershark, thanks for sharing your decision.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:12 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgarylady
Most people who stay out that long have good reason for that mostly job. What happens when one stays out for more that 3 yrs out of the 5yrs, can they still come into Canada?
Just to clarify: You have to be physically present in Canada for a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period
If you lose your permanent resident status it is, (as I understand it), lost. You would have to go through the whole process again (somebody correct me if I am wrong....)

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Feb 2nd 2009 at 12:20 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:16 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Just to clarify: You have to be physically present in Canada for a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period
If you lose your permanent resident status it is, (as I understand it), lost. You would have to go through the whole process again (somebody correct me if I am wrong....)
Or with your married Canadian Citizen partner ( who is married to you ).
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

I guessed as much, we have being out for 3 yrs out of the 5 and must be in Canada by end of March (Tickets booked) for the next 2 yrs. We are coming as a family with 3 kids 5,2 and 3 months. Oh will go back cos of his job . I know it wont be easy but we have thought it thru , thats the only option if we dont want to loose the PR status completely. Atleast we will use the next 2 yrs to have a fill of Canada while OH comes monthly if we dont like it then we leave after a yr or 2 or stick it out till we get the citizenship before leaving.

I intend to get a full time nanny to help me with the kids.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:49 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgarylady
I guessed as much, we have being out for 3 yrs out of the 5 and must be in Canada by end of March (Tickets booked) for the next 2 yrs. We are coming as a family with 3 kids 5,2 and 3 months. Oh will go back cos of his job . I know it wont be easy but we have thought it thru , thats the only option if we dont want to loose the PR status completely. Atleast we will use the next 2 yrs to have a fill of Canada while OH comes monthly if we dont like it then we leave after a yr or 2 or stick it out till we get the citizenship before leaving.

I intend to get a full time nanny to help me with the kids.
Doesn't that mean your OH will lose his PR status??
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:59 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Doesn't that mean your OH will lose his PR status??
I think so...I do not think that the fact that wife will be a resident PR is relevant to his PR status and requirement to be resident.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I think so...I do not think that the fact that wife will be a resident PR is relevant to his PR status and requirement to be resident.
But wife may be able to sponsor him for PR as a spouse.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:06 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But wife may be able to sponsor him for PR as a spouse.
Even though he essentially gave it up by failing the residency requirement the first time? Interesting.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:31 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chutley
- the employment situation here is not good. Uk qualifications are not recognised and employment protection is non-existant.
That's a sweeping generalisation, and not necessarily accurate of many immigrants experiences. Certainly not of mine.

- The holiday entitlement is derisory. What's the point being here if you have to spend all your time working?!
Another sweeping generalisation. My first employed position here offered 6 weeks paid vacation.

- The language is the same, but the culture is entirely different.
To be expected, it's a foreign country after all.

- Canada is isolated and insular. The distances and cost of travel make it difficult to go around the world. Holidays, with the little entitlement you have, are probably going to be on the NA Continent due to cost and limited time.
Canada's isolated from where? - Europe? If that's where you hanker to be, then fair comment, but otherwise it makes no sense. There are endless cheap deals to the US Hawaii, Mexico etc and I've just booked 2 return flights from Vancouver to London for under $1,500. It's not Ryan Air cheap, but it's not 'difficult to go around the world'
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:57 am
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by seaham gal
Agree with every word - and we live in the Lower Mainland! Yes things have changed since we did out reccies - as they have elsewhere to.

You seem to have researched and thought out well your reasons very well and I'm sure others will learn from your conclusions.

It's not worse here than London! Nottingham is also a dangerous and bad city to live in, for crime. As are other cities around the UK. Scotland's 'Glasgow' has always been bad for drugs and crime. And so is 'Dundee'! The drugs capital of Scotland. I lived and worked in Scotland for 4 yrs hence I do know. I also know how very narrow minded some from there can be.

On the whole yours seems to be a very negative and biased post, and I do not totally agree with all that was posted there. You also generalized with a bad attitude. Maybe you both just did not fit in?

I agree with this one though (see below), but it tends to mainly be those from Vancouver, not anywhere else in Canada or the US, whenever I travel out of Vancouver I tend to find it the opposite in comparison, and Canadians local to me from other regions agree with me on this one, plus I hear it all the time from them, I read it here on local rock climbing forums, and generally hear it all the time, it mainly focuses on the Vancouver 'locals' though as in those who grew up here and remain here not those who move here and are from other provinces. Personally I find that no different to some I met from Scotland when I lived and worked up there, who told me to go back to England as I am English. Nice! Except if it was not for the English being up there in the first place the Scots would have had no wealth or not as much. At least the Canadians are not so rude as that.

For the record, I owned a place in Scotland too. Since living here I would not give up Canada for Scotland, not even if I were paid to. But that's just me
Here is far better.

This is what I refer to as it being mainly locals in Vancouver that grew up and were born here in Vancouver: Canadians coming across as warm and friendly, but in a detached standoffish kind of way, if that makes any sense. I’ve never felt like I’ve ever really ‘connected’ with anyone on a personal level, despite visiting, living and working in the country on several occasions. They also have absolutely no understanding of the British sense of humour!

p.s. if the humour you refer to was sarcastic in nature, well that does not go down well in Canada it is regarded as offending and offensive, and no offence but personally I too take offence too to overly sarcastic people making humour, and I am not Canadian.

Last edited by blackcomb1; Feb 2nd 2009 at 8:31 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

We know that OH will loose his PR status but for now he has to work outside Canada since he has not got a job yet . Am currently pursuing an MBA (Online) so I can stay home with the kids.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:31 am
Just Joined

pedrochilli is an unknown quantity at this point

Chicken!

Bullet proof vest it is then?!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:36 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
It's not worse here than London! Nottingham is also a dangerous and bad city to live in, for crime. As are other cities around the UK. Scotland's 'Glasgow' has always been bad for drugs and crime. And so is 'Dundee'! The drugs capital of Scotland. I lived and worked in Scotland for 4 yrs hence I do know. I also know how very narrow minded some from there can be.

On the whole yours seems to be a very negative and biased post, and I do not totally agree with all that was posted there. You also generalized with a bad attitude. Maybe you both just did not fit in?

I agree with this one though (see below), but it tends to mainly be those from Vancouver, not anywhere else in Canada or the US, whenever I travel out of Vancouver I tend to find it the opposite in comparison, and Canadians local to me from other regions agree with me on this one, plus I hear it all the time from them, I read it here on local rock climbing forums, and generally hear it all the time, it mainly focuses on the Vancouver 'locals' though as in those who grew up here and remain here not those who move here and are from other provinces. Personally I find that no different to some I met from Scotland when I lived and worked up there, who told me to go back to England as I am English. Nice! Except if it was not for the English being up there in the first place the Scots would have had no wealth or not as much. At least the Canadians are not so rude as that.

For the record, I owned a place in Scotland too. Since living here I would not give up Canada for Scotland, not even if I were paid to. But that's just me
Here is far better.

This is what I refer to as it being mainly locals in Vancouver that grew up and were born here in Vancouver: Canadians coming across as warm and friendly, but in a detached standoffish kind of way, if that makes any sense. I’ve never felt like I’ve ever really ‘connected’ with anyone on a personal level, despite visiting, living and working in the country on several occasions. They also have absolutely no understanding of the British sense of humour!

p.s. if the humour you refer to was sarcastic in nature, well that does not go down well in Canada it is regarded as offending and offensive, and no offence but personally I too take offence too to overly sarcastic people making humour, and I am not Canadian.
I think your post is hypocritical you have also "generalized with a bad attitude".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.