Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has the Calgary star finally dimmed?

Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Edinburgh - to Calgary (didn't work out) - Now Vancouver
JJHJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has the Calgary star finally dimmed?

Originally Posted by Britsrus
I know a few but I'm talking about the whole 'pull up on your driveway, open the garage door, drive in, close garage door and never to be seen again' kind of neighbours that you only ever make contact on those rare 2 weeks of hot summer. Other than that they are hibernating in their basements watching hockey 24/7.
Sounds like the perfect neighbours to me. I'm at a loss to know why anyone would yearn to know their neighbours better. Precedent would suggest the slightest triviality can sour that relationship - unkempt lawns, dog waste, etc. Best keep them at a polite distance.

Now before you think this is somehow a Canadian perspective, I've lived in Edinburgh for 5 years in three different flats and no one gets to know the other beyond polite nods. I've lived in Paris, it was mostly the same. Even in Barcelona I rarely saw or knew those on other floors. It has always seemed perfectly right to me. The last thing you want is to be bothered day in day out with inane chitchat on your doorstep especially when you're desperate to get in and have a wee.

No, you sound altogether too amiable and extroverted for your own good. Join us on the other side. Next time you pull up and see your neighbour's garage door close shut give a sigh of relief and relish in the peace and quiet.

Having said that when I move to Calgary and if I'm your neighbour I'll endeavour to be pals.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Edinburgh - to Calgary (didn't work out) - Now Vancouver
JJHJ is an unknown quantity at this point

It never shone. At best it basks in the glow of the Rockies.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boneyboy
I have traveled throughout BC and Alberta and in my opinion 95% is 'soulless'. To me, it's the lack of atmosphere and vibrancy that is lacking in these places and it doesn't matter if it's a small rural community or a big city, they all seem to be lacking something.
No, it's a design layout dedicated to the almighty automobile.

It's hard to look vibrant and full of soul when it's -25 outside and the ground is covered in ice and snow and there's slush and grit and shit everywhere.

What do you mean by vibrant? Do you want outside patios and people laughing and drinking and wandering around arty boutiques? Canada can provide that in certain areas for about 3 months of the year. Otherwise any vibrancy is well hidden under its thermals.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boneyboy
It's interesting to read on here and many other posts how the word 'soulless' is used to describe Canadian cities and towns. I am in agreement that it's the correct description for many of the places I have lived and visited. I have traveled throughout BC and Alberta and in my opinion 95% is 'soulless'. To me, it's the lack of atmosphere and vibrancy that is lacking in these places and it doesn't matter if it's a small rural community or a big city, they all seem to be lacking something. Maybe it's the Canadian personality that creates this feeling? Canada is beautiful.....but soulless.
I don't think that Montreal is soulless. It's one of my favourite cities. I also like Quebec City and Toronto (a huge, vibrant, multicultural city where half the population was born outside Canada).
Old Feb 25th 2015, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary..the only city that has a LRT that does not go to the airport (and thus have most benefit to the people in less traffic, fumes etc, enable people to leave a meeting downtown, and get off at the airport) so as not to upset the cab drivers!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
Calgary..the only city that has a LRT that does not go to the airport
See also Toronto.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
See also Toronto.
The Union Pearson Express rail link is currently being built and should be operational summer 2015. Although I don't like the proposed fares.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
No, it's a design layout dedicated to the almighty automobile.

It's hard to look vibrant and full of soul when it's -25 outside and the ground is covered in ice and snow and there's slush and grit and shit everywhere.

What do you mean by vibrant? Do you want outside patios and people laughing and drinking and wandering around arty boutiques? Canada can provide that in certain areas for about 3 months of the year. Otherwise any vibrancy is well hidden under its thermals.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
Some would say that Calgary has lost its sheen, but a little perspective is in order. Back when I first arrived as a boy, Calgary International airport was a collection of wooden huts, called McCall Field. At that time, one of the first of the "cookie cutter" sub-divisions, Acadia, was under construction. A three-bed detached bungalow cost about $28k. Passenger trains still ran to Banff, Red Deer, Edmonton and a few other smaller locales. I think the population was about 300k. The tallest building was the Grain Exchange building, though the Husky Tower was being talked about.

C.O.P. was a little hill called Paskapoo, with a pommel and rope tow. Calgary ended in the west at Bowfort Road. Pubs were ghastly-closed at 11 or 12 pm, no windows (as if drinking were sin not to be seen) and if you slipped your bum off the barstool, and drank standing up, you were cut off. Oh, and they were closed on Sundays. However, there was a Jewish deli on 8 Avenue, where, if you were desperate for a beer on Sunday you could a order a pizza and a jug of beer. Same in Banff on a Sunday-everybody went to Bumpers in Banff after skiing-same routine-order a pizza. Beer stores-all government run, mostly closed at 6 pm, and always on a Sunday.

Rush hour-it lasted about ten minutes. My dad's car was a monster Galaxie.

By the time the '70s arrived, jobs, jobs, jobs, everywhere. Even then, before Klein's famous ('80s) "let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark," Calgarians were moaning about all the newcomers.

The riverside pathways, limited then, were red crush, but lots of joggers as it was just coming into fashion. Eau Claire was a collection of tumble down buildings and bus barns-always reminded me of a demolition site. We had two cable companies, and perhaps six channels. The C-Train, did not exist. And only got underway to seal Calgary's bid for the '88 Olympics.

But I was young then, out skiing break-neck speed in the mountains and never gave much thought to how lacking Calgary was compared to our London home. Now I am very cautious when I go outside, having slipped on what seems like year round ice. Last week I slipped on the ice outside the library, and two young ladies helped me to my feet, "oh you poor old thing." Really, I am not that old.

Last February I flew back into Calgary, from a reccie to my intended home in England. As the plane came into land, I looked out the window, minus 30, snow and ice everywhere, and the vista was endless 'burbs and beyond, dirty brown mechanically divided countryside. Very different to the take-off from London, green fields following the natural contours of the land.

The jobs will return, oil and gas will pick up again, but none of that will change what so many describe as a soulless downtown, a place of one way streets the better to move commuters in and out-and little to no street life.

It's little things I miss about England-visiting a pub in very rural Wiltshire, on Christmas Eve, walking down a sunken lane in Kent, going into a small shop and seeing the large selection of newspapers to suit all tastes. And knowing that I am no longer an immigrant, a stranger in a strange land.

No doubt some 30 or 40 years hence someone will make the same comparisons and comments about this time that I have.
Are you returning to the UK? Why?
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I don't think that Montreal is soulless. It's one of my favourite cities. I also like Quebec City and Toronto (a huge, vibrant, multicultural city where half the population was born outside Canada).
Yes I agree 100% with that statement. Not that I would want to live there but you couldn't describe them as being "soulless".

Calgary has a lot of people mixed together who recently moved there, so there isn't a sense of community in some parts of the city, hence the Mayor trying to promote block parties, etc.

I think people forget that Alberta generally is very Catholic and very right-wing and that does have a bearing. It definitely is more conservative.

As I've said on here before (and JJHJ alluded to), dull is underrated. You might find it boring but at least it's not stressful. And as Ann was pointing out the winters also have an impact on people being sociable, my impression has always been that people lose their social skills over the winter and regain them somewhere around Stampede.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

stampede...sigh you have this image, of yourself strutting down in your cowboy shirt, jeans, boots, and stetson and thinking "damn i look good, can carry this off", then I saw a mirror and i realised

.. just looked like a multi-coloured boss hogg
Old Feb 28th 2015, 3:59 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britsrus
I know a few but I'm talking about the whole 'pull up on your driveway, open the garage door, drive in, close garage door and never to be seen again' kind of neighbours that you only ever make contact on those rare 2 weeks of hot summer. Other than that they are hibernating in their basements watching hockey 24/7.
Sounds very much like London minus the driveway, garage and hockey bits
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJHJ
Sounds like the perfect neighbours to me. I'm at a loss to know why anyone would yearn to know their neighbours better. Precedent would suggest the slightest triviality can sour that relationship - unkempt lawns, dog waste, etc. Best keep them at a polite distance.

Now before you think this is somehow a Canadian perspective, I've lived in Edinburgh for 5 years in three different flats and no one gets to know the other beyond polite nods. I've lived in Paris, it was mostly the same. Even in Barcelona I rarely saw or knew those on other floors. It has always seemed perfectly right to me. The last thing you want is to be bothered day in day out with inane chitchat on your doorstep especially when you're desperate to get in and have a wee.

No, you sound altogether too amiable and extroverted for your own good. Join us on the other side. Next time you pull up and see your neighbour's garage door close shut give a sigh of relief and relish in the peace and quiet.

Having said that when I move to Calgary and if I'm your neighbour I'll endeavour to be pals.
This reminds me of a seinfeld episode where Kramer decides to put pictures of everyone in the apartment block up in the foyer to make people interact with each other.

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jericho79
I'm with you on this one.
Your not homesick for Nova Scotia, are you?
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 6:22 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The Union Pearson Express rail link is currently being built and should be operational summer 2015. Although I don't like the proposed fares.
Nor I.

It is just window dressing for the Pan-Am games. No one will actually use the thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.