Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone migrated without ever having been to Canada before?

Has anyone migrated without ever having been to Canada before?

Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone migrated without ever having been to Canada before?

[QUOTE=Largo;11349097]
Originally Posted by dbd33
I have not seen any posts by Keith recently . He lived in Ottawa, but spent winters in the US. I do hope he is still with us.
I remember him and I too hope no misfortune has befallen him.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perpetual
..I'm not under any serious misconceptions about some kind of rich cultural heritage that pervades every corner of Canada!...
Well, there is a rich cultural heritage that pervades every corner of Canada. It is not ours so we discount it or ignore it. Or, in the case of our (British) forefathers, try and wipe it out completely. Its not that different to Aus I imagine.

Many people who post here seem to define culture as Norman castles and medieval churches. There aren't many of these.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think it fairly unlikely that anybody from a first world country would spend £25k or so on moving to another country with at least having visited for a week or two first.
Originally Posted by dbd33
I disagree. I came without knowing anything about Canada, we arrived in Toronto expecting a big bustling city.
But did you shell out that £25k first? I might be wrong but I thought you arrived with nothing.

Not that everyone has to shell out a chunk of money of course. Some even appear to have been given their relocation costs!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I did a recce trip prior to relocating but I don't believe we spent anything like that amount of money on the recce trip and the move combined!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks SO much for all the replies everyone, so much good info and advice!

Re. the culture thing - trust me, Australia is devoid of culture. Or at least, it has these tiny pockets. Actually, that's unnecessarily harsh and damning, it does have some culture, but that culture doesn't really match me or my husband, if that makes sense. Maybe it's just because it's southern hemisphere, I don't know. Like we are not beach people, for example, and living somewhere like Sydney where we were when we first moved back, the beach is pretty much central to life there, and everyone loves lying around on the sand trying to avoid getting fried, dodging all the Irish/Brazilian backpackers and they'll happily spend an hour trying to find a parking spot half an hour's walk from the beach up a really steep hill in order to do that. Cool, but not my cup of tea. We are in Melbourne now, and we really do like this city, it is by far the best Aus has to offer (for us) but... it's in Australia! We just feel like we'd be giving up if we didn't bite the bullet and do something to find the 'right' place that fits us.
I get where you are coming from totally - we came across from Melbourne, without ever having visited Canada.
We did have the benefit of the OH's company forking out the relocation costs but that is on the understanding that we had to repay those costs if we decided to go before 3 years (on a sliding scale).
I did like some aspects of Australia, we stayed there 7 years, and we all became citizens when my daughter was born there but we also felt there might be more out there - and if you have the opportunity to try and find it why not do so.
My only words of advice are to discuss what plan B is if you decide you don't like it when you get here (and how long before you can decide that) maybe even more importantly what do you do if one of you likes it and the other doesn't.
As long as you don't burn all your bridges and get yourself in a position you just can't get out of then I don't think you are crazy at all
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But did you shell out that £25k first? I might be wrong but I thought you arrived with nothing.
If we'd had £25k we certainly wouldn't have felt obliged to move to bumble****, nowhere! We arrived with £2,000 in credit card debt, the clothes in which we stood, a pair of skis, and a cue. Eventually two suitcases of clothes caught up with us. Effectively, we had nothing but I did have a job. Fourteen weeks later I had a pregnant wife and no job, having just been fired for "parking on the grass". Had we had any money at all we would have gone home one day after arriving and, if not then, one day after being fired.

Here I am, years later, still no pot to piss in but, to be fair, a fortune earned and spent.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:21 am
Just Joined

away too long is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents did it 34 years ago, with me and my brother (aged 10 and 6 at the time). Our neighbours had been on holiday to Ontario and came back with photos, showed my parents, they liked the look of it, my Dad got a job and then we moved. It was the first time any of us had been out of England.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:28 am
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

We came 14 years ago without ever having been in Canada before. Granted, it was just the two of us, freshly married and free. We got rid of everything that we couldn't fit into two suitcases and got on a train to Gatwick.

We came to Grad School (similar to your approach)- one of us managed to get a scholarship for a Masters at a Canadian University and we lived on that for the next two years. We figured that even if it didn't work out, we would still have a degree from a good Uni.

It has been a long road, but we are now a family of four Canadian citizens and loving it. That letter offering me a position for my Masters is safely guarded in our treasure chest - for the kids to keep.

Last edited by Jo&Alex; Jul 28th 2014 at 3:10 am.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:52 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

After all that background, my question is, am I completely crazy to be considering moving to a country I've never even visited? Especially with two young kids? While I do not feel at home or connected to Australia in the slightest and actually feel as if I'd be selling myself (and my family) short to stay here, I can't help but think I must be mad to even think about moving somewhere I've not been. Has anyone done this?
Yes and No.

Visiting is fine and advisable but not easy from Australia.

Visiting will never actually give you a real flavour of what it is like to live here. It is most likely a gamble anyway.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

Visiting will never actually give you a real flavour of what it is like to live here. It is most likely a gamble anyway.
Agreed. We came out for a two week visit and all we really got from it was what it looked like (lots of trees, lakes and ocean was the most clear memory), what people seemed to be like (friendly), what the coffee was like (Tims) and that it was really hot in June (nice surprise)
We also looked around a few houses.

We got no more from that really about what its like to live here.

If you are coming from Oz, have that attitude and an open mind you may well be ok.... nothing is irreversible anyway, except death of course so good luck!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we'll be aiming for Ontario, given the three different Masters program options I've narrowed it down to are at three Ontario universities. We like the idea of the east coast as it's so much closer to Europe and therefore family in the UK.
Ontario's not on the east coast, it's geographically Central Canada, in the Eastern Time Zone, mind you, but nowhere near the ocean. Halifax or St. John's would put you on the east coast, if the ocean's what you're looking for. To put it into perspective, Boston's about a 9 hour hour drive away from Toronto. Halifax would be closer to 17 hours away from Toronto. Ontario has a lot of lakes of course, so it doesn't feel landlocked.

One discussion that came up in another thread recently was how you shouldn't let proximity to the UK be a major factor in where you move to in Canada. Factors such as climate (ie: how many months of subzero temperatures you'll realistically experience, the month when you start to see greenery on the trees for the first time since September... February or May... or June?), geography (mountains, ocean, prairie - how many hours or days you'll have to drive to see mountains, ocean, or prairies, or a change in geography), growing season (gardening from May-September, or year round?), humidity (or lack thereof), local urban culture (liberal? conservative? old fashioned?), public transportation options, walkability, population density, etc. will play a larger role on your life day to day.

Flights from Calgary and Vancouver to the UK, for example, only add two more hours than a flight from Toronto, as they fly over the Arctic. From what I understand, flights from the east coast communities aren't as frequent because there's less demand, and therefore flights can be more expensive, or require you to fly west first before heading east over the Atlantic.

Not to put a damper on your spirit, because I think you've got the right attitude, but these are factors that, based on observations here, many expats don't even consider, but are factors that are crucial to setting expectations and whether you'll settle in Canada. Canada and Australia are two countries that are very much alike, if you think about it. They both have vast barren landscapes with extreme climates, with a natural resource industry at the core of its vast hinterland (and all the unsophisticated culture , to British Expats eyes, that come with), and small pockets of urban populations tenuously connected, separated geographically at a continental scale.

Last edited by Lychee; Jul 29th 2014 at 12:22 am.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Ontario's not on the east coast, it's geographically Central Canada, in the Eastern Time Zone, mind you, but nowhere near the ocean. Halifax or St. John's would put you on the east coast, if the ocean's what you're looking for. To put it into perspective, Boston's about a 9 hour hour drive away from Toronto. Halifax would be closer to 17 hours away from Toronto. Ontario has a lot of lakes of course, so it doesn't feel landlocked.

One discussion that came up in another thread recently was how you shouldn't let proximity to the UK be a major factor in where you move to in Canada. Factors such as climate (ie: how many months of subzero temperatures you'll realistically experience, the month when you start to see greenery on the trees for the first time since September... February or May... or June?), geography (mountains, ocean, prairie - how many hours or days you'll have to drive to see mountains, ocean, or prairies, or a change in geography), growing season (gardening from May-September, or year round?), humidity (or lack thereof), local urban culture (liberal? conservative? old fashioned?), public transportation options, walkability, population density, etc. will play a larger role on your life day to day.

Flights from Calgary and Vancouver to the UK, for example, only add two more hours than a flight from Toronto, as they fly over the Arctic. From what I understand, flights from the east coast communities aren't as frequent because there's less demand, and therefore flights can be more expensive, or require you to fly west first before heading east over the Atlantic.

Not to put a damper on your spirit, because I think you've got the right attitude, but these are factors that, based on observations here, many expats don't even consider, but are factors that are crucial to setting expectations and whether you'll settle in Canada. Canada and Australia are two countries that are very much alike, if you think about it. They both have vast barren landscapes with extreme climates, with a natural resource industry at the core of its vast hinterland (and all the unsophisticated culture , to British Expats eyes, that come with), and small pockets of urban populations tenuously connected, separated geographically at a continental scale.

Great post - one of the best I have seen about how to 'choose' an area - and one that I think all potential emigrants should read and consider.

Well done.

Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:59 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, it's better to visit first, but I don't think it necessarily follows through that just because you visit it's going to be perfect. Life is a lottery, even when you think you've got it all sussed out, things happen that you can't predict. It's more about your attitude, if your not to tied to any one place. Canada is as good as anywhere else, people are very friendly here. Give it a go!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Great post - one of the best I have seen about how to 'choose' an area - and one that I think all potential emigrants should read and consider.

Well done.

A good read but it neglects the most important aspect.

Can you find a job that pays enough to cover your lifestyle?

Unless you are being bought over by your employer with a certain salary or you have tonnes of cash in the bank your quality of life is indeterminable with out knowing how much you can make with your skills.

Urban Culture, Public Transport and Geography are no good if you don't have the money to enjoy them. Unfortunately for most people you need to be here permanently to find those out and it is unlikely a two week vacation will help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.