Reload this Page >

Halifax or Calgary???

Halifax or Calgary???

Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Benjamin2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Halifax or Calgary???

Hi

My husband and I have applied to relocate to Canada with our 5 year old son. I will be running my business from Canada whilst also working as a Registered Nurse on a ad hoc basis. Based on this we have a little flexibility with regards to where we settle.

I would be looking for a safe city with good education and prospects for my son as he grows older. We don't feel there is anything to offer our son in the UK anymore and both adore Canada, I lived out there for 3 years a few years back!

So we are stuck between Halifax and Calgary. I like the areas of Hammonds Plain and Fall River in Halifax and Auburn Bay in Calgary. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thank You

Kate
Old Jun 29th 2015, 12:05 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halifax or Calgary???

Originally Posted by Benjamin2010
Hi

My husband and I have applied to relocate to Canada with our 5 year old son. I will be running my business from Canada whilst also working as a Registered Nurse on a ad hoc basis. Based on this we have a little flexibility with regards to where we settle.

I would be looking for a safe city with good education and prospects for my son as he grows older. We don't feel there is anything to offer our son in the UK anymore and both adore Canada, I lived out there for 3 years a few years back!

So we are stuck between Halifax and Calgary. I like the areas of Hammonds Plain and Fall River in Halifax and Auburn Bay in Calgary. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thank You

Kate
Two very different places. Have you worked out in Halifax before as a nurse? I don't know much about that profession except that its not straight forward to work again in that here.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Benjamin2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have full Canadian nurse registration already so the transition is relatively straight forward. We will be applying to come as a nurse however we will be mainly living off my business which can very easily be managed remotely from Canada. I used to live in Calgary, however we have very briefly visited Halifax.

I like the location and it is particularly useful being only a 6 hour flight from the UK, much easier for family in particular my mum who has a back condition and would be in pain on a much longer flight. Also useful for when I need to travel back to the UK for business. We have also looked at housing and ascertained we can get much more for our money in Nova Scotia.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:33 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benjamin2010
Hi

I have full Canadian nurse registration already so the transition is relatively straight forward. We will be applying to come as a nurse however we will be mainly living off my business which can very easily be managed remotely from Canada. I used to live in Calgary, however we have very briefly visited Halifax.

I like the location and it is particularly useful being only a 6 hour flight from the UK, much easier for family in particular my mum who has a back condition and would be in pain on a much longer flight. Also useful for when I need to travel back to the UK for business. We have also looked at housing and ascertained we can get much more for our money in Nova Scotia.
Honestly, I love Nova Scotia but then I have a good job. I really have come to realise that you can have a really good life here as long as you have emplyment and that can be the first hurdle for many, although not for everyone.
I had a job within 3 weeks and that has just progressed to the position I hold now (different employer) so its do-able but changing jobs is most definately not an overnight process, it took a while to get a new job.

Now, having said all that - its a wonderful province. Very good value for money especially just outside the city. We live in the "corridor" (Enfield through to Shubenacadie) which runs along the 102 which I believe is the best highway into the city traffic wise.

Halifax does have some traffic issues but the traffic moves into and out of the city, some spots are worse. The exit to Fall River right now seems to be suffering some serious traffic issues, its always backed up way up the highway on the 118. Hammonds Plains area seems to suffer traffic issues too.And I mean you could be sat there from 20mins upwards so worth a note if you have to commute.
I see that you plan to run your business remotely but its still good to know.

People are friendly, its a great location timewise to get back to the UK but the flights can be more expensive and run less often, many times the deals dont include Halifax.

Anyway, good luck in your plans!
Old Jun 30th 2015, 4:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned on another thread about living in BC, as I'm sure you are aware there isn't "Canadian nursing registration" and only individual provincial registration. I think it's more straightforward to get them transferred but still might have a bearing on where it's easier to work.