Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good place to live in Edmonton ?

Good place to live in Edmonton ?

Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

kasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good place to live in Edmonton ?

I need opinion about Edmonton. Which part of the City are good and safe to live. I know that every city have the bad part of the city that you should avoid.
Does the Edmonton have it?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good place to live in Edmonton ?

Originally Posted by kasha
I need opinion about Edmonton. Which part of the City are good and safe to live. I know that every city have the bad part of the city that you should avoid.
Of course it does but give us a helping hand - tell us what you like/dislike and we might be able to point you in the right direction
Old Jul 10th 2006, 5:03 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Places like Norwood, Beverly, Hermitage, Clareview and Londonderry - communities in the northeast quadrant of Edmonton are best avoided. The southwest is generally rather nice. Castledowns on the north side of Edmonton may be worth considering. The area immediately west of downtown is nice, the area immediately east (and northeast) of downtown is crappy. The area just west of the University of Alberta is also nice. Millwoods (in the south east) looks good because it is a relatively new community but it has a lot of crime - gang related shootings.

Sherwood Park is nice, but it is just outside of Edmonton.

Naturally, the better areas are also more expensive. I would pay the extra cost to be in a better area - it's worth it.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 10th 2006 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 5:41 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

If you specifically want IN the city, then i'm not the best person to answer as we hardly go in, but the rule of thumb is to avoid the north around the Yellowhead Hwy.

If you fancied a short commute, then areas outside the city limits that are lovely are: St Albert, Beaumont and of course Sherwood Pk. Leduc is OK but suffers with aircraft and railroad noise a bit, depending on whereabouts you are....and its close to Nisku (yukky industrial area)

They are currently working on a huge new ring road around the city which should make skirting around one side to the other a bit quicker.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

kasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Of course it does but give us a helping hand - tell us what you like/dislike and we might be able to point you in the right direction
I am not very picky person. Definitely downtown will be to busy for me because I am expecting mom and I’m looking a place where it will be safe to go for a walk with a baby and maybe some small shopping center or food store in neighborhood will be nice. So this are my small expectations.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:04 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

I am not very picky person. Definitely downtown will be to busy for me because I am expecting mom and I’m looking a place where it will be safe to go for a walk with a baby and maybe some small shopping center or food store in neighborhood will be nice. So this are my small expectations.
Actually Downtown Edm isn't a bustling hub of activity.....its very quiet as centres go with not many pedestrians and shops (not on the surface anyway, the shops are all underground!)
Old Strathcona is where you see the people, and the array of weird and wonderful little shops.........and of course the majority of the city's nightlife.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

alwayssaythanku is an unknown quantity at this point

Glenora area, very nice, very expensive, good schools.

Originally Posted by R2D2
Actually Downtown Edm isn't a bustling hub of activity.....its very quiet as centres go with not many pedestrians and shops (not on the surface anyway, the shops are all underground!)
Old Strathcona is where you see the people, and the array of weird and wonderful little shops.........and of course the majority of the city's nightlife.