Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

going to Uni in Canada

going to Uni in Canada

Old Jun 10th 2001, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Ben Turner is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, im currently just about to go to six form college in england, and i ma hoping to go to uni in canada somewhere, does anyone know where i can find out info on how to go about it, or maybe youve done it yourself. I know that im getting in early on this one, becuase its two years till im going to go to uni, but i want to get something orgainised, and ive read most of this site, and nothing at all sunk in. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
BEN TURNER
Old Jun 11th 2001, 1:01 am
The Wizzard

Hi Ben

im at university in england and remeber toying with the idea of trying to transfer to
one in Canada but it was too complicated. Anyway i did have a little read around the
ideas. Basically what you need to do is apply to the university as an international
student. Most Canadian universities have a webpage with info anout this. You may want
to find out wether you need to do this via UCAS but i think as it's international it
is outside and therefore you apply seperatly. If you get a place there then i believe
you need a student visa, which should be easy enough from the UK with a place at a
Canadian university, one of the immigration experts will no doubt tell you how to do
that. One thing you may want to bear in mind is the money, as you'll be outside the
UK Student Loans system and i'm not sure what you would qualify for in Canada, i
think depending on the University there may be ways to borrow student funds for
international students and grants to apply for, that will be no doubt explained by
the university, but it is more expensive for international students. I look at a
course at University of Toronto, whcih is a top university in Canada, doing a course
in my field, Namely a Bsc involving electronics and computing. i think the fees were
roughly in the area of $8000 a year, i may have the figure wrong but it was almost
double what a resident student would pay. let me just see if i have some URL's

http://www.library.utoronto.ca/admis...rnational.html

that has info on the whole international thing specific to UofT most other uni's will
have simliar stuff i guess, tells you the entry requirments for all different
countries incluiding UK GCSE's Alevels etc.

i think they pick their courses differently too, where as here you read a degree and
the university provides you withe the nessecary lectures to supplement it. there it
is more like the USA where you pick a major and select courses you think appropriate
with some manditory and then more freedom to diversify with minors etc

anyway thats what i know hehe hope it helps a bit. but seriously if you can manage
it i think it would be great Canada rules and the drinking age is 19 not 21 like in
the states so you dont get Campasus with no bars so much more like students should
be eh? hehe

Drew

--
Posted from rhenium.btinternet.com [194.73.73.93] via Mailgate.ORG Server -
http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Jun 14th 2001, 5:24 am
Kaix

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

where are u located in the UK ? you should surf the webpages on canadian high
commission and this site by the Candaina Education Service at www.studyincanada.com
it should give you the relevant information needed with all the schools intro there.

Kaix

Old Jun 14th 2001, 5:27 am
Kaix

Hi Drew,

read your posts to mecoolbaby about Canada im looking into entering grad school there
and I was edcuated in manchester too

sounds like Manchester is still in the old form when I was studying...

New campuses up along Oxford road when I left but I should have expected that its a
better place now ?

>
    >
    >
    >
transfer to one in Canada but it was too complicated. Anyway i did have a little read
around the ideas. Basically what you need to do is apply to the university as an
international student. Most Canadian universities have a webpage with info anout
this. You may want to find out wether you need to do this via UCAS but i think as
it's international it is outside and therefore you apply seperatly. If you get a
place there then i believe you
    >
at a Canadian university, one of the immigration experts will no doubt tell you how
to do that.
    >
the UK Student Loans system and i'm not sure what you would qualify for in Canada, i
think depending on the University there may be ways to borrow student funds for
international students and grants to apply for, that will be no doubt explained by
the university, but it is more expensive for international students.
    >
Canada, doing a course in my field, Namely a Bsc involving electronics and computing.
i think the fees were roughly in the area of $8000 a year, i may have the figure
wrong but it was almost double what a resident student would pay.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
uni's will have simliar stuff i guess, tells you the entry requirments for all
different countries incluiding UK GCSE's Alevels etc.
    >
    >
degree and the university provides you withe the nessecary lectures to supplement it.
there it is more like the USA where you pick a major and select courses you think
appropriate with some manditory and then more freedom to diversify with minors etc
    >
    >
can manage it i think it would be great Canada rules and the drinking age is 19 not
21 like in the states so you dont get Campasus with no bars so much more like
students should be eh? hehe
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >