Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Glasses online

Glasses online

Old Feb 12th 2016, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glasses online

I'm always the one complaining about prices, especially to do with healthcare or related products in Canada. The latest one is glasses. Of course, the optician was trying to sell me everything in the shop after my latest eye test.

Actually, I didn't think the prices were that ridiculous compared with the UK: probably about the same (it just seems more in dollars), but I decided to buy online from a Canadian store who even had a buy one get on free offer (so I got a pair for me and a different prescription for my daughter). They came within a few days and are great. I'm not going to post the name here, because it's probably not allowed on the forum, but for the price, I am very pleased indeed.

Just curious to know: does anyone else buy glasses online?

S
Old Feb 12th 2016, 3:36 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasses online

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I'm always the one complaining about prices, especially to do with healthcare or related products in Canada. The latest one is glasses. Of course, the optician was trying to sell me everything in the shop after my latest eye test.

Actually, I didn't think the prices were that ridiculous compared with the UK: probably about the same (it just seems more in dollars), but I decided to buy online from a Canadian store who even had a buy one get on free offer (so I got a pair for me and a different prescription for my daughter). They came within a few days and are great. I'm not going to post the name here, because it's probably not allowed on the forum, but for the price, I am very pleased indeed.

Just curious to know: does anyone else buy glasses online?

S
I tried to but the writing on the website was too small

I thought about it but considering that it was a fair wack of cash and Snoop says I have a strange shaped head I wanted them to fit. Good value online though I see- I usually wear contact lenses which I get online usually unless I need them in a hurry!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Feb 12th 2016 at 4:52 am.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If you think glasses are expensive in Canada you should have a look at Australia. My last pair was close to $700 from Specsavers. Nothing fancy, but I do have multifocal lenses and am a +5 diopter in each eye. I'm actually thinking of getting a new pair when I'm visiting in the spring because they're cheaper at Costco.

Contacts are always bought from Clearly Contacts online. 6 months of bifocal lenses for about $120.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I have never really looked at the online option here. I just wait to go home to get eye test, glasses and contacts.

I went to the optician here. $80 for an eye test

Two pairs of glasses was over $500 and contact lenses were $50 ish per month!!

Specsavers UK: all the above and contact lense consultation for $200.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 2:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I got my last pair of glasses from clearly contacts online for $70. Frames and lenses.
An extra $50 would have got me extra thin lenses.
Wasn't willing to pay that as these were only to do me until I got the LASIK done.

They were fine
Old Feb 12th 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I used to use Specsavers.

I didn't use Clearly Contacts although a friend had suggested them. I found another online store with comparable prices and the buy one get one free offer (the second pair actually came to $30). It was $118 in total for the 2 pairs. Daughter very pleased.

S
Old Feb 12th 2016, 2:48 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I have used both Clearly and Eye Buy Direct and found both of them to be quite good. Eye Buy Direct is US based and is very cheap, and they also post to Canada (The prices are in CAD and I also never had to pay Customs). Whereas Clearly is Canada based and a little bit expensive but the quality of their frames and lenses is better.

Last edited by Edo; Feb 12th 2016 at 2:57 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought online and they worked out great for me, heres the link to who i used, upload a good digital pic and you can "try on" the glasses before you buy lol

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online
Old Feb 12th 2016, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, since everyone has posted with who they used, I may as well post mine, then anyone else reading this thread has a good choice if they are thinking of doing the same! It's good to know others have done it too and have had a good experience!

iLookGlasses.ca: Glasses Online Canada | Eyeglasses Online Canada | Prescription Glasses

S
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to buy my lenses / glasses from Specsavers in the UK, until I moved to Canada. Prices are about the same here. Until recently, I was buying contact lenses online from (Contact Lenses Canada | ContactLensesCanada.com). Never had a problem with them after ordering contact lenses from there for 2 years.

This year, I finally decided to get Lasik done after 20 odd years of flaffing around with glasses and contact lenses. It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. At this time of writing, I am 5 weeks post op and things are great. I went to King Lasik and highly recommend Dr King.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Last time this came up, I looked at the on line options but they seemed to want some sort of measurement between pupils, was it? Can one do that accurately yourself?
...Of course, the optician was trying to sell me everything in the shop after my latest eye test.
I expected that. But it was "the change is so small you can wait...up to you."

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I went to the optician here. $80 for an eye test
Two pairs of glasses was over $500 and contact lenses were $50 ish per month!!
My last UK glasses, frames and ultra thin lenses, £240 in 2003.

2013 at Vogue optical. Test $70 ($90 2015).
Ultra thin lenses, comparable frames, two-for-one. Can't remember price but well under $300. Much cheaper and only "that much" because wife's varifocals were more expensive.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's called pupillary distance. Mine was handwritten onto my prescription.

You can also measure yourself (best to get someone to help you):

39dollarglasses.com -- Help Topics - How do I measure my Pupillary Distance (PD)

Interestingly, iLook queried my daughter's PD which was 56 on her last prescription as it is not within the usual range (the normal range is prob for adults). We double checked and got 55, but sent a copy of the actual prescription with our response to the query.

My prescription had not changed that much in the last just over 3 years, but it had changed a bit. I was happy to buy new glasses without spending a fortune.

S
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj322
This year, I finally decided to get Lasik done after 20 odd years of flaffing around with glasses and contact lenses. It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. At this time of writing, I am 5 weeks post op and things are great. I went to King Lasik and highly recommend Dr King.
That would definitely have been something I'd have considered but depending on how old you are and what work you do, it may not be worth it. Don't they say reading glasses are likely at about 40?

I can't remember what the issue was now, but years ago I looked into going back to wearing contacts and my vision was such that I would need reading glasses to go with them. So a similar option to Lasik at age 40.

Given that my working day involved reading a computer screen, reading forms and writing I'd have needed glasses all day plus for reading at home. It hardly seemed worth replacing permanent glasses with reading glasses for the majority of my waking hours.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you need (only) reading glasses for age related long sightedness, as I understand it, Laser can't correct that, although I have (more recently) seen options for complete replacement of the eye lens (but personally I wouldn't do this).

I just use readers for ... reading/computer and get on with the rest of my life without glasses. Of course, you can just buy readers in many stores, and I have a cheap pair of those as well but they are never the exact prescription.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 12th 2016 at 5:36 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:53 pm
Oscar nominated

It's called pupillary distance. Mine was handwritten onto my prescription.

You can also measure yourself (best to get someone to help you)
That rings bells. I can think of a few problems that would mean I wouldn't be confident in getting it right or even help getting it right. At least in the shop they're used to it and if it's not right they'll fix it.

I'm not sure it's routinely on the prescription. When they measure in the shop are they doing it because they don't trust the optometrist?

The place I use had decent glasses for $120 when I last looked in 2013. What I don't like is having to go for a free second pair. I'd rather pay less for just the one pair. But if you don't mind a second pair, or sunglasses or because you can double up with someone else, then there's probably not much of a price difference per pair compared to a $39 pair plus shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.