Reload this Page >

Getting work in the not for profit / charity / NGO sector

Getting work in the not for profit / charity / NGO sector

Old Aug 20th 2017, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

LucyHawthorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting work in the not for profit / charity / NGO sector

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the possibility of moving to Canada for work from the UK, but am unsure whether it will be practically viable for me to get a job.

I work in NGOs/charities and have quite a bit of experience in different charities, mainly campaigning/policy/lobbying work. I score enough to apply for a Skilled Work Permit and to apply for Express Entry.

Does anyone have any tips or knowledge specifically of the not for profit sector in Canada? Most of what I have read on here is about the private sector, which I'm guessing could be a different kettle of fish (if the UK is anything to go by). I'd be looking at Ontario or BC.

I know I can apply for jobs from here if I arrange my work permit (rather than replying on an organisation sponsoring me), but get the sense that is unlikely to be successful. Or I could come to travel (I have friends in Canada) and keep my eyes open and network while I'm there and apply again once I return to the UK.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Lucy
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting work in the not for profit / charity / NGO sector

Originally Posted by LucyHawthorne
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the possibility of moving to Canada for work from the UK, but am unsure whether it will be practically viable for me to get a job.

I work in NGOs/charities and have quite a bit of experience in different charities, mainly campaigning/policy/lobbying work. I score enough to apply for a Skilled Work Permit and to apply for Express Entry.

Does anyone have any tips or knowledge specifically of the not for profit sector in Canada? Most of what I have read on here is about the private sector, which I'm guessing could be a different kettle of fish (if the UK is anything to go by). I'd be looking at Ontario or BC.

I know I can apply for jobs from here if I arrange my work permit (rather than replying on an organisation sponsoring me), but get the sense that is unlikely to be successful. Or I could come to travel (I have friends in Canada) and keep my eyes open and network while I'm there and apply again once I return to the UK.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Lucy
Check out a website called Charityvillage. That's where all the not for profit jobs get posted.

I worked in the not for profit in NS. But in that particular case it was about "who I knew" rather than "what I knew"
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:16 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyHawthorne
if I arrange my work permit
How would you manage that?
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:42 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Most, if not all, hospitals have a fund raising foundation. You could try some of those. I'm pretty sure you would need a qualification though.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Non-profit News, Jobs, Funding, Training | CharityVillage

https://workinnonprofits.ca/

Try these,it will give you a flavour of some of the work available.

Pekarsky & Co. - Adam Pekarsky

These have a huge selection of not for profit/third sector jobs.