Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

getting dogs from uk to regina

getting dogs from uk to regina

Old Jan 18th 2015, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

jamesmacc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting dogs from uk to regina

As you might of seen im my other thread i have received a job offer and im i n the final negotiations with hope to sign in next week. I have been doing research for about 18 months, but mainly just looking at cost of living. I will be coming over a couple months before my wife and kids so i can get everything set up and comfortable. I have 2 golden retrievers that we want to take with us , looking at flights there are no direct flights from the Uk to Regina, There is one from glasgow to calgary with 1 stop - about 16 hours travel and they take pets which costs $250 each dog , plus i need to supply a flight friendly crate for each dog and have them vet checked and injections done.
Then i will either need to hire a car that will take pets and drive 8.5 hours to Regina or get another flight that excepts dogs to take me from Calgary to Regina.
Is this the most sensible and cost affective way to get from the UK to Regina with animlas?
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting dogs from uk to regina

Originally Posted by jamesmacc
As you might of seen im my other thread i have received a job offer and im i n the final negotiations with hope to sign in next week. I have been doing research for about 18 months, but mainly just looking at cost of living. I will be coming over a couple months before my wife and kids so i can get everything set up and comfortable. I have 2 golden retrievers that we want to take with us , looking at flights there are no direct flights from the Uk to Regina, There is one from glasgow to calgary with 1 stop - about 16 hours travel and they take pets which costs $250 each dog , plus i need to supply a flight friendly crate for each dog and have them vet checked and injections done.
Then i will either need to hire a car that will take pets and drive 8.5 hours to Regina or get another flight that excepts dogs to take me from Calgary to Regina.
Is this the most sensible and cost affective way to get from the UK to Regina with animlas?
I don't know if it's the most sensible and cost effective way but you need to know the weight of your dogs. Retrievers are similar weight to labs and our lab was too heavy to go as excess baggage (which is the one that costs $250.

If your dogs are too heavy to do it this route it is going to cost you considerably more than that. It cost us 1500 GBP to get our lab across (that included 5 days of kennel fees tho).

HTH.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our dog, Husky/retriever cross, and the cost was around what you mentioned.

We bought the big plastic crate for about 125 pounds which was perfect. The requirement at the time was that the dog could easily turn around in the crate, and be able to lie down easily.

If it was me, I'd be happy to just do the single flight and drive the rest of the way. Much less stressfull for all concerned.

If you get the crate we had, it can be easily dismantled into two halfs, so once you collect the dogs and get to your hire car, you can take it apart and stack it in one pile, and just let the dogs sit in the back. Might want to take some blankets to keep dog hair off the seats, lol.

The flight staff are pretty good. The crate should come with a couple of water bowls that clip to the inside of the wire door, and if there is a delay, the flight staff can give them some water.

Our dog didn't seem any worse for wear after his journey.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

We paid a freight company to transport our dog. It was expensive but worth it I think. One advantage was that we left the dog with relatives for a few days, got ourselves settled in the temporary accommodation and the dog arrived a few days later. I think it would have been quite stressful having to worry about getting the dog as well as everything else at at the airport when we arrived.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar situation although my flight is a bit more direct.

I got my TWP when I came over last week.
We are moving permanently as soon as any relocation package has been agreed.
We will be taking our Golden Retriever and Tabby cat. I got a few quotes from pet transportation companies that deal with everything (providing the pets have their own pet passport and paperwork up to date). This was around 1200 GBP for both pets including crates, etc.

I didn't think this is too bad.
As soon as I have a house we will all move with a weeks notice to get the vets check done 10 days before travel.

Contact the pet travel companies, they take care of everything and can even take your pets from door to door for a little bit extra.
It is a lot less hassle, moving all that way is stressful enough.
Forgot to mention that we will be moving to Toronto area.

Good luck.