Reload this Page >

General Advice?

General Advice?

Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Advice?

Hey guys,

I hope I will not babble on too long. I posted something over 6 months back about my interest in going to Canada but I had missed last years applications (Wouldn't have been ready anyway).

I guess I am just looking for a bit of general advice leading upto the next batch of permits & what not in January.

Bit of background info, I am a graduate in Accounting, currently working as an Accountant for a local practice & probably going to be studying ACCA with them soon. I know Canada has ACCA, although if I managed to get to Canada I really have no idea if that is the route I would want to take as I just don't feel like ACCA or Accounting is for me & is merely a safety net.

I am currently 25, no ties keeping me here in the UK, & I hate it here... my aspiration was always to be in North America, whether that be the US or Canada, it didn't matter to me, but that aspiration was more important to me than any career. Career wise I never really knew what to do, I think win the lottery or become a Pro-Gamer was my preferred option.. ha!

How difficult would it be to find work or really go for the whole permanent residency thing in my current field in Canada, especially as they also have ACCA & recognise it (I have 9 exemptions at the moment).

Also, are there any special requirements or reasons why I would be turned away in the application process, or is it a case of as long as you are one of lucky ones & you have the funding, you can go there?

If I get a successful application, is it easier to reapply for a second year while I am over there? This is all through IEC as I believe that is the easiest way for me.

I did have more questions, but I guess I forgot.

Anyway thanks so far!

Edit: currently I have worked for 1 month, I would probably want to make the move (IF I was successful with the application on IEC) mid year, which would only give me a maximum of 7 or 8 months work experience. Will this be a big pitfall for me when it comes to trying to get work in Canada in financial fields? Is it likely I would have to work in a bar or something instead?

I ideally want to be able to go there & get work experience in a field which will aid me in getting PR, & it seems the only chance I would have at that is to look for accountancy/finance work.

any help is appreciated.

Last edited by WildfireV2; Nov 24th 2014 at 6:48 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 8:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice?

Originally Posted by WildfireV2
Hey guys,

I hope I will not babble on too long. I posted something over 6 months back about my interest in going to Canada but I had missed last years applications (Wouldn't have been ready anyway).

I guess I am just looking for a bit of general advice leading upto the next batch of permits & what not in January.

Bit of background info, I am a graduate in Accounting, currently working as an Accountant for a local practice & probably going to be studying ACCA with them soon. I know Canada has ACCA, although if I managed to get to Canada I really have no idea if that is the route I would want to take as I just don't feel like ACCA or Accounting is for me & is merely a safety net.

I am currently 25, no ties keeping me here in the UK, & I hate it here... my aspiration was always to be in North America, whether that be the US or Canada, it didn't matter to me, but that aspiration was more important to me than any career. Career wise I never really knew what to do, I think win the lottery or become a Pro-Gamer was my preferred option.. ha!

How difficult would it be to find work or really go for the whole permanent residency thing in my current field in Canada, especially as they also have ACCA & recognise it (I have 9 exemptions at the moment).

Also, are there any special requirements or reasons why I would be turned away in the application process, or is it a case of as long as you are one of lucky ones & you have the funding, you can go there?

If I get a successful application, is it easier to reapply for a second year while I am over there? This is all through IEC as I believe that is the easiest way for me.

I did have more questions, but I guess I forgot.

Anyway thanks so far!

Edit: currently I have worked for 1 month, I would probably want to make the move (IF I was successful with the application on IEC) mid year, which would only give me a maximum of 7 or 8 months work experience. Will this be a big pitfall for me when it comes to trying to get work in Canada in financial fields? Is it likely I would have to work in a bar or something instead?

I ideally want to be able to go there & get work experience in a field which will aid me in getting PR, & it seems the only chance I would have at that is to look for accountancy/finance work.

any help is appreciated.
Just so we can help you further why do you hate it in the UK?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

It's a mixture of things.

I have always lived in a small town in the north west, with no friends left as they all moved away through university over the years.

I made my mistakes don't get me wrong, there are things I wish I could go back & change & I have certainly not hit the potential I should have done by now.

I have always wanted to be across the atlantic, the UK just is not for me, from the never ending depressing weather (Sure Canada is more extreme but not consistently depressing), to the fact that we are so overcrowded & everything is ridiculously competitive due to that.

There are more minor reasons I suppose, but it's more so that my heart isn't in it, I know which side of the world I want to be on, & it isn't this one.

I don't know if doing the IEC for 2 years would really lead to any real PR opportunity, maybe I am deluding myself to even think that, especially if I avoid accountancy. But the only thing I really have as far as a tangible qualification is my degree in accounting, so not sure what else I could.

I want to give myself a real shot at a PR & feel like I achieved my main goal in life, but without utilising the degree I have I don't know if there are any jobs I would be able to get into that are "Skilled enough" to satisfy FSW or PR requirements.

Sorry to ramble on!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It's a mixture of things.

I have always lived in a small town in the north west, with no friends left as they all moved away through university over the years.

I made my mistakes don't get me wrong, there are things I wish I could go back & change & I have certainly not hit the potential I should have done by now.

I have always wanted to be across the atlantic, the UK just is not for me, from the never ending depressing weather (Sure Canada is more extreme but not consistently depressing), to the fact that we are so overcrowded & everything is ridiculously competitive due to that.

There are more minor reasons I suppose, but it's more so that my heart isn't in it, I know which side of the world I want to be on, & it isn't this one.

I don't know if doing the IEC for 2 years would really lead to any real PR opportunity, maybe I am deluding myself to even think that, especially if I avoid accountancy. But the only thing I really have as far as a tangible qualification is my degree in accounting, so not sure what else I could.

I want to give myself a real shot at a PR & feel like I achieved my main goal in life, but without utilising the degree I have I don't know if there are any jobs I would be able to get into that are "Skilled enough" to satisfy FSW or PR requirements.

Sorry to ramble on!
Ramble on, this is what this place is for. Although if you don't like mind numbingly depressing weather I'd strongly suggest you stay away from coastal BC.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Ramble on, this is what this place is for. Although if you don't like mind numbingly depressing weather I'd strongly suggest you stay away from coastal BC.
Well I was thinking if anywhere I'd want to go to Toronto because I have a friend there which could probably help with settling in & helping with my outlook etc.

Right now I am just working in practice gaining experience & some money to bank & give myself a bit more stability & options going forward. They want me to do ACCA & possibly do some of the last 6 exams in June but I really don't think I want to do that, it's cool & all to think of being a chartered accountant, never having to worry about money or whatever, but I think I'd rather pay for a flight to San Francisco to jump off the golden gate bridge.

I have no idea if an accounting degree is worth a dime in Canada, & I worry of course that because my only work experience would be less than a year it will hinder me.

IEC seems amazing, & I really want to give it a go for the two years, but in the back of my mind I wouldn't want to ever return, especially not here.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:57 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

IEC seems amazing, & I really want to give it a go for the two years, but in the back of my mind I wouldn't want to ever return, especially not here.
It's funny how you say that now but I've been out here for 3 months and there are quite a few things I miss about the UK - the grass isn't always greener on the other side!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 10:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

...I have no idea if an accounting degree is worth a dime in Canada, & I worry of course that because my only work experience would be less than a year it will hinder me.
It is worth something. If nothing else it is a qualification you can show and qualifications count in Canada. Your lack of experience is going to be an issue for all but junior jobs. A junior job will be fine to pay for your booze and loose women while you are on your IEC visa but it will be difficult to find a position where your employer will be prepared to sponsor you. It is not impossible. You can get a job, work hard and impress the boss for 18 months or so and it might work out. But, IMO, it is not a great plan, especially so if you don't enjoy the work.

ACCA does exist in Canada but not many people will have heard of it and it will not be particularly helpful in finding a job. The accounting profession in Canada used to be like the UK and divided into Chartered, Certified and Management. Now we are all Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA). If you are a member of ACCA it is quite easy to get a CGA designation in Canada. CGA Canada | Membership Benefits | ACCA Members | ACCA Global | ACCA Global. This agreement expires in 2016 and I don't know what will replace it.

If you are determined to settle in Canada and are prepared to put up with the accounting business to do it then you should take the final exams in the UK and stick it out until you get membership.

However, if the Golden Gate Bridge seems the better option then just get your IEC visa, get over here, and see what happens.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
It's funny how you say that now but I've been out here for 3 months and there are quite a few things I miss about the UK - the grass isn't always greener on the other side!

I understand that.

For me this is not something I thought up a few months ago, since I was a young kid I always wanted to be in North America, Ideally the US, but I quickly realised that was never going to happen unless I marry someone or go across on holiday & never return, risking being an illegal.

I know that a better life is over there for me if I can just get there... I honestly feel like even working in a shitty job but in a place like Toronto would make me happier than working in a decent job with good prospects in a shithole like where I live now with nobody around.

Know what I mean?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is worth something. If nothing else it is a qualification you can show and qualifications count in Canada. Your lack of experience is going to be an issue for all but junior jobs. A junior job will be fine to pay for your booze and loose women while you are on your IEC visa but it will be difficult to find a position where your employer will be prepared to sponsor you. It is not impossible. You can get a job, work hard and impress the boss for 18 months or so and it might work out. But, IMO, it is not a great plan, especially so if you don't enjoy the work.

ACCA does exist in Canada but not many people will have heard of it and it will not be particularly helpful in finding a job. The accounting profession in Canada used to be like the UK and divided into Chartered, Certified and Management. Now we are all Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA). If you are a member of ACCA it is quite easy to get a CGA designation in Canada. CGA Canada | Membership Benefits | ACCA Members | ACCA Global | ACCA Global. This agreement expires in 2016 and I don't know what will replace it.

If you are determined to settle in Canada and are prepared to put up with the accounting business to do it then you should take the final exams in the UK and stick it out until you get membership.

However, if the Golden Gate Bridge seems the better option then just get your IEC visa, get over here, and see what happens.

That sucks to know that the degree is so so, just like here I guess. & yeah... I always knew work experience would be an issue, i guess I just figured that if anything I might be able to get in one of the lower end jobs like finance assistants, or purchase ledger or whatever & I thought that most of those types of finance jobs qualified under Skilled B which is why I assumed getting at least 9 months Canadian work experience in one of those would put me in good standing.

I suppose the best option is to try go over for 2 years, and find anyone to marry... ha.

Is it easier to re-apply while over there for the second year?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 10:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... i guess I just figured that if anything I might be able to get in one of the lower end jobs like finance assistants, or purchase ledger or whatever & I thought that most of those types of finance jobs qualified under Skilled B which is why I assumed getting at least 9 months Canadian work experience in one of those would put me in good standing.
As I said, don't rule it out as impossible. I guess your degree will be the equivalent to a bachelor of commerce with an accounting major. People do get the kind of jobs you have listed with this qualification.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As I said, don't rule it out as impossible. I guess your degree will be the equivalent to a bachelor of commerce with an accounting major. People do get the kind of jobs you have listed with this qualification.
I guess.

I am just in a bizarre situation right now, with no real social life due to where I live, & only having "Skills" in accounting from my degree even though I don't remember half of it, I feel trapped with no real direction.

In my mind, running away will or could reinvigorate me a bit, or by forcing myself into a new country and a different situation maybe I could land in a different opportunity unrelated to the boring accounting work.

I have no idea what the hell I will do, I will probably apply for the program anyway because if anything I want to, & it might serve me well to get away and enjoy life for a bit.

I hate that it is so difficult to get into US/Canada for Brits.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 11:10 pm

I guess.

I am just in a bizarre situation right now, with no real social life due to where I live, & only having "Skills" in accounting from my degree even though I don't remember half of it, I feel trapped with no real direction.

In my mind, running away will or could reinvigorate me a bit, or by forcing myself into a new country and a different situation maybe I could land in a different opportunity unrelated to the boring accounting work.

I have no idea what the hell I will do, I will probably apply for the program anyway because if anything I want to, & it might serve me well to get away and enjoy life for a bit.

I hate that it is so difficult to get into US/Canada for Brits.
I've been finding hard to get out of the naffing place.

Don't mean to sound condescending but have you thought of going to Thailand or Ibiza for a big jolly up?
Old Nov 25th 2014, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to get PR through IEC and holding a BA in Accounting & Finance, so it's quite possible to do it if you land the right job (I was pretty lucky finding the job had, with the previous person getting knocked up and needing to go on medical leave). My reasons to come was a relationship (though it's since ended) and it wasn't because I felt terrible about England, I love going back and visiting old haunts.

I don't know, I'd always suggest getting an IEC permit to people as it was the right decision for me but I wouldn't get it with the intention of staying long term, just think of it as a way to get an extended break away from your current life and maybe help you discover what you really want to do career/life wise.

Or something like that.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
I managed to get PR through IEC and holding a BA in Accounting & Finance, so it's quite possible to do it if you land the right job (I was pretty lucky finding the job had, with the previous person getting knocked up and needing to go on medical leave). My reasons to come was a relationship (though it's since ended) and it wasn't because I felt terrible about England, I love going back and visiting old haunts.

I don't know, I'd always suggest getting an IEC permit to people as it was the right decision for me but I wouldn't get it with the intention of staying long term, just think of it as a way to get an extended break away from your current life and maybe help you discover what you really want to do career/life wise.

Or something like that.
That's great to hear.

How much experience did you have already on your CV when you landed though? & I would only have 5 or 6 months if I decided to leave when I want to, however if I could bear it I could get to 9-12 months before leaving (assuming I even get a place of course)

Also what was the job that kept you there? Was it just a junior accounts role or something? by that I mean, allowed you to qualify for PR

Also how long did it take you to get PR from doing the IEC? I assume you did the 2 years.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, my experience was minimal. I first headed out to Vancouver after graduating university, I got a bunch of minimum wage jobs and enjoyed the year. I headed back to London and get a job for a startup business, for some reason they trusted me with the accounting (with the assistance of an external accountant) - but getting practical experience was pretty key to getting the job I managed to find. After one year in London I went back to Vancouver.

I did benefit from the fact that I could receive 3 working holiday permits as there was a rule change in 2010 or 2011, but all my qualifying work experience came in the 2nd and 3rd permits.

The role I had was a junior accounting position, which meant doing all the practical work for the head accountant. I find accounting in smaller businesses is actually quite fun, even if the pay is lousy (as a guide I was earning about $45k).

The PR application system is changing next year, so I can't give you much guidance on how long it would take to acquire, but honestly I'd recommend just trying to enjoy Canada if you make it here, get out and be social, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.