Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GCSE's equivalent in Canada

GCSE's equivalent in Canada

Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Harpon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GCSE's equivalent in Canada

Dear all my son has recently completed his GCSE's in the UK. He is 16 years old. Please can anyone advice me if he would be able to start the next level of education with them, if he moved to Canada.

Last edited by Harpon; Aug 28th 2015 at 3:31 am. Reason: Forgot a word
Old Aug 28th 2015, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSE's equivalent in Canada

My daughter was at the same stage when we moved 5 years ago. You are best advised to contact the local school board or school if you know where you will be living. That's what we did - the school reserved a space for her in Grade 11 but she had to have an interview/chat with a particular organisation, who in effect 'translated' them into high school credits.
The guidance office at the school were very helpful in advising us as to what needed to be done. I think there is a piece in the Wiki above which describes what is required to graduate from high school here - basically a certain number of credits and volunteer hours. Depending on where you are, he may also have to do a literacy test - in Ontario it's usually done in Grade 10, but my daughter took in in Grade 11 - you have to do it to graduate from high school here.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure whether or not to wait until he has done his A-levels and will be 18? What do you think? Did your child go on to further education ? Uni etc..
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harpon
Thank you for your reply. I am not sure whether or not to wait until he has done his A-levels and will be 18? What do you think? Did your child go on to further education ? Uni etc..
If you want your son to emigrate to Canada with you, you need to be apply before he is 18, otherwise he will be too old to be included (presuming you don't have Citizenship or Permanent Residence already).

I have included the wiki articles below for you.

Welcome to BE, by the way!

GCSE and A-level Students-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Canadian Schooling : British Expat Wiki

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 28th 2015 at 6:17 am.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

As Siouxie says, your status will have an impact on your decision.
Also it will have an impact on costs with your son going to university - my daughter does go to university here in Canada, but she had PR by the time she started - otherwise she'd have been classed as an international student and paid higher fees.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you want your son to emigrate to Canada with you, you need to be apply before he is 18, otherwise he will be too old to be included (presuming you don't have Citizenship or Permanent Residence already).

I have included the wiki articles below for you.

Welcome to BE, by the way!

GCSE and A-level Students-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Canadian Schooling : British Expat Wiki

Hello, the citizenship isn't a problem as we all have Canadian citizenship. I could wait until he's completed A Levels, but wanted to know if it would be better for him to have these qualifications under his belt or could he continue with his next level over there. It's difficult because you want to do what's best for the child and not yourself. Decisions....
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harpon
Hello, the citizenship isn't a problem as we all have Canadian citizenship. I could wait until he's completed A Levels, but wanted to know if it would be better for him to have these qualifications under his belt or could he continue with his next level over there. It's difficult because you want to do what's best for the child and not yourself. Decisions....
If possible, my suggestion is let him do the A-levels before coming to Canada. If he is not inclined to continue his education, then just get over here & let him find a job. A levels comparable to the high school graduation diploma at the U level subjects for university entrance.

On the basis he wants to go to further education - college or university, then with two good A levels, this will get him into first year of a Canadian university (as well as college) - less hassle of uprooting & finishing school in Canada

Which university are you thinking of?

For the OP question depending on the marks, the GCSE is somewhere between Gr 10 & Gr11
Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
If possible, my suggestion is let him do the A-levels before coming to Canada. If he is not inclined to continue his education, then just get over here & let him find a job. A levels comparable to the high school graduation diploma at the U level subjects for university entrance.

On the basis he wants to go to further education - college or university, then with two good A levels, this will get him into first year of a Canadian university (as well as college) - less hassle of uprooting & finishing school in Canada

Which university are you thinking of?

For the OP question depending on the marks, the GCSE is somewhere between Gr 10 & Gr11
Thank you again
Old Aug 29th 2015, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

If this is a permanent move to Canada then I'd personally say that having a high school diploma which is instantly recognized and the norm here would make life easier for your son.
Them last few years of high school in Canada might help him make friends and settle in too.

There is no direct equivalent of GCSE to Canadian high school. Your son would just join the appropriate grade and work towards his high school diploma
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
If this is a permanent move to Canada then I'd personally say that having a high school diploma which is instantly recognized and the norm here would make life easier for your son.
Them last few years of high school in Canada might help him make friends and settle in too.

There is no direct equivalent of GCSE to Canadian high school. Your son would just join the appropriate grade and work towards his high school diploma

+1