Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying with Pet in Cabin

Flying with Pet in Cabin

Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying with Pet in Cabin

Air Canada fly Boeing 777-300ER between Heathrow and Tronoto which limits the size of a pet carrier https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/...ance/pets.html
21cm high
38cm width
43 cm long

Has anyone travelled that route with a pet in cabin?

What pet carrier did you use?

Our pet weighs 4.5 kg
Old Mar 12th 2018, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice
Default Re: Flying with Pet in Cabin

Originally Posted by glendem4
Air Canada fly Boeing 777-300ER between Heathrow and Tronoto which limits the size of a pet carrier https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/...ance/pets.html
21cm high
38cm width
43 cm long

Our pet weighs 4.5 kg
My wife is flying over with our dog in the cabin, but due to the U.K. not allowing pets to fly in and out of the U.K in the cabin she is traveling over to Paris to fly.

So long as you buy a airline approved soft sided carrier you will be ok as it will reduce in size to fit under the seat in front.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
21cm high
38cm width
43 cm long

Our pet weighs 4.5 kg
It is a long flight with a carrier in what should be your leg space if you put it under the front seat.
We used to fly a premium class to have extra space. Usually I was given a free seat next to me.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:36 am
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
It is a long flight with a carrier in what should be your leg space if you put it under the front seat.
We used to fly a premium class to have extra space. Usually I was given a free seat next to me.
West jet fly direct from Paris to Halifax Nova Scotia from June which is around 7 hours, or her other option is Air Canada with a connecting flight. It will be very cramped but we don’t want to fly the dog in the hold as not many airlines will fly flat nose dogs. Our dog is a French Bulldog and the risk in flight is really high. We have read some really sad stories, so the wife is going via Euro tunnel.

I not sure about being able to get a seat next to you, I think emotional support dogs get that service.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

you can fly dogs in the cabin LEAVING the UK- we did it, just over a year ago. We flew from Heathrow to St John's with our 8kg bichon in the cabin with Air Canada. The staff at check in were lovely- they even upgraded our seats (for free) so we had extra leg room for our dog! however he spent the duration on the middle seat- in his carrier of course. He had to be under the seat for take off & landing (maybe we had relaxed cabin crew). I was able to open the top & pet him (and he got a bit of my inflight meal too!)

I bought two carriers (i can dig out the details if you wish) & got away with using the slightly bigger one, which has extending sides and allowed more room while at the airport. Our flight was around 5-5.5 hrs and he was fine. I would send you a photo on this post, if i was able!

Last edited by ShirleyEB; Mar 13th 2018 at 4:27 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ShirleyEB
you can fly dogs in the cabin LEAVING the UK- we did it, just over a year ago. We flew from Heathrow to St John's with our 8kg bichon in the cabin with Air Canada. The staff at check in were lovely- they even upgraded our seats (for free) so we had extra leg room for our dog! however he spent the duration on the middle seat- in his carrier of course. He had to be under the seat for take off & landing (maybe we had relaxed cabin crew). I was able to open the top & pet him (and he got a bit of my inflight meal too!)

I bought two carriers (i can dig out the details if you wish) & got away with using the slightly bigger one, which has extending sides and allowed more room while at the airport. Our flight was around 5-5.5 hrs and he was fine. I would send you a photo on this post, if i was able!
Thanks for that info, everything we’ve looked at suggested that due to DEFRA regulations no pets can fly in the cabin in or out of the U.K. I will most certainly call air Canada tomorrow as if this is the case it will save my wife a big upheaval having to go over to Paris with two kids and a dog in tow. We are looking at the Sturdi pet carrier as it’s a airline approved carrier.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ShirleyEB

We have just looked at air Canada and you are most certainly correct, my wife is over the moon, thank you ShirleyEB for your info. How did we miss this... we’re asking ourselves! Its not only us as we know of a family that have just gone over to Canada via Paris with their frenchie as they thought they couldn’t fly out of the U.K.

Flights to or via the U.K.:
Due to quarantine laws, pets are not accepted in the cabin or as checked baggage. They may, however, travel as cargo, and all bookings must be made through Air Canada CargoOpens in New Window.

Air Canada was the first North American carrier to participate in the United Kingdom's Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)Opens in New WindowExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. which permits pet dogs and cats to enter the U.K as cargo without the usual 6 months quarantine as long as certain conditions are met.

Flights from the U.K.:
Pets are accepted for travel both in the cabin and in the baggage compartment.

Service animals:
If you wish to travel with a service animal, please contact Air Canada Reservations and ask for the Medical Assistance Desk.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Service dogs usually get a seat next to you, well the floor space next to you, but not necessarily. It depends on the airline, the laws of the country the flight starts in, and the size of the dog. Emotional support animals are allowed at the airlines discretion.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

and if the news is to be believed .............. be wary of United arilines.

They struck again.

An airline attendant who did not understand when she was told the carrier under the seat contained a dog insisted that it be put in the overhead box. She wouldn't listen to anyone. It seems her English wasn't good

The dog died ...... and Untied (deliberate spelling) Airlines is in massive damage control, once again.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

United also sent a dog to Japan instead of Kansas City and sent a dog to Kansas City that should have gone to Japan.

United also has more animals then any other US airline.

Originally Posted by scilly

They struck again.

An airline attendant who did not understand when she was told the carrier under the seat contained a dog insisted that it be put in the overhead box. She wouldn't listen to anyone. It seems her English wasn't good

The dog died ...... and Untied (deliberate spelling) Airlines is in massive damage control, once again.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly

They struck again.

It’s absolutely heartbreaking, My wife is hopefully flying with Air Canada with our Frenchie but regardless of what airline she flys with she has been given advise to print out the airlines pets in cabin policy as you never know!!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 6:54 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Devils advocate here, but the passenger could have refused to put the dog in the overhead bin and removed themselves from the plane, rather than complying with the insanity, knowing it'd cause issue.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sharkus
Devils advocate here, but the passenger could have refused to put the dog in the overhead bin and removed themselves from the plane, rather than complying with the insanity, knowing it'd cause issue.
Totally agree with you Sharkus, I just don’t understand why she didn’t put up more of a fight and refuse. Why on earth didn’t she check the poor dog throughout the flight.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:44 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNorms
Totally agree with you Sharkus, I just don’t understand why she didn’t put up more of a fight and refuse. Why on earth didn’t she check the poor dog throughout the flight.
I saw reports that she didn't argue because she didn't want herself and child to get thrown off the flight, and didn't check on the dog because of turbulance. Personally I'd rather be removed from a flight than put my dog at risk.