flying babies

Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all
Default flying babies

hi there,
im looking for parents of babies suggestions on stopping "ear popping".
its the only thing im concerned about with the wee fella flying.
any tips or advice are as always greatly appreciated
cheers
Paul
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flying babies

calpol before you board, a dummy will help ,as the sucking action helps to stop the popping feeling.If s/he doesnt use a dummy then stick your finger in his/her mouth.Or is there a toy/rattle that likes to be chewed ??
Mine didnt have a problem tho,so dont worry.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulCall
hi there,
cheers
Paul
If he is bottle fed make sure you have bottles available for him at least for the climb AND decent.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

kt12 is an unknown quantity at this point

My girls either had their thumb or dummy. They were born in Montreal and we made regular trips home. Depending on the age of your son ear popping might be the least of your worries. Air Canada attendant didn't even know which loo had changing table (my 1st trip alone with 9 week old) and treated me like a leper. If he is older small snacks are vital as the airline won't help. You will be expected to eat your meal whilst holding your child and don't even think about asking for a pillow. If your little one is like my oldest (she usually fell asleep 10 mins out of Heathrow after being awake the whole 7 hours) you might find seats towards the back easier, as you feel a little less tense about the little one bothering others.
hope I haven't put you off but honestly don't expect too much help.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:31 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

hi there,
cheers
Paul
How old?

If still bottle/breast feed age then just provide something to drink. Simple

If older then lollypops worked great for us.

Remember to have enough for going up and coming down.

Keeping them entertained for 8+ hours if its not a night flight is a bigger problem, but thats been covered here before.

We had none of the above issues, the Air Transat crew were great.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

he is 13 weeks old today and is exclusively breat fed.......thanks for the advice so far
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

As others have said before, drinking/sucking and swallowing for the whole of take off, and, more importantly, as soon as the plane starts descending.

Good luck to you all.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:09 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

he is 13 weeks old today and is exclusively breat fed.......thanks for the advice so far
Easy then, dont worry about it. With any luck he will sleep through most of it.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

HIya....

I flew with my little one when he was 10wks...He was awake on take off so I fed him (br fed) just in case!! He was asleep on landing and we just left him...He was fine...much easier than his brother who was bouncing off the walls so to speak...Alternatively you can always let him suck your finger..
Good luck
L
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

stevethompson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leepee
HIya....

I flew with my little one when he was 10wks...He was awake on take off so I fed him (br fed) just in case!! He was asleep on landing and we just left him...He was fine...much easier than his brother who was bouncing off the walls so to speak...Alternatively you can always let him suck your finger..
Good luck
L
My 13 week old has just come back from Canada. We went out on the 27th and came back on the 3rd. He slept on the journey back but was very fidgity on the way there. However, he was breast fed during the ascent and didn't seem to notice his ears popping.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose
calpol before you board
this ^^^^^

Calpol is the best invention ever for flying with small people. Drug 'em, I say, drug 'em to the point of total oblivion.

Seriously, it can help a lot. Our eldest was a bit (but not much) older than 13 wks the first time he flew. can't remember whether it was Calpol we had but our HV suggested either that or some other infant formulation of paracetamol. We were a bit dubious at first about "drugging him up," but gave him the recommended dose in the departure lounge just before boarding, he slept right through takeoff and landing. Mind you, that was a short-haul flight, don't know what he'd have been like on a journey to Canada at that age...

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jun 7th 2007 at 9:07 pm. Reason: finishing a sentence...
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough

hi there,
cheers
Paul
Much better than Calpol, try Medised. It makes them very sleepy within 20mins and can be purchased over the counter. Buy the small bottle due to liquid restrictions in cabin.

Best,

Chipotle
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks guys ....plenty to digest.....im hoping for a sleep right through apart from a feed and change......the only prob is that we land in halifax to drop off folk and fly onwards to ottawa,so there will be two take offs and landings.
it will be fun
Paul
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chipotle
Much better than Calpol, try Medised. It makes them very sleepy within 20mins and can be purchased over the counter. Buy the small bottle due to liquid restrictions in cabin.

Best,

Chipotle
I'd 2nd Medised, what a life saver. Really, as others have said you shouldn't have any trouble with them at that age, it's when they start moving that's when the problems start!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:42 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

This does NOT apply to babies but I used to suffer terribly from earache when I flew. I went to my GP and she suggested taking Sudafed for 3 days before I flew. It works but drying up any liquid or congestion in the inner ear which causes the pain from pressure during flight take-off and landing.

I tried it and it worked. I now use it all the time before a flight and have never had earache since

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.