Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

flights UK - Halifax.. scary prices!

flights UK - Halifax.. scary prices!

Old May 8th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default flights UK - Halifax.. scary prices!

I'm optimistically having a look at flights from Uk (Glasgow) to Halifax, in the hope that later in the year we might need them to land. Because we'd be travelling in October-November, Air Canada seems the only real option, but I was stunned to see it's going to be over £700 each! When we flew out 2 years ago it was over £500 and I thought that was pricey.

What I'm wondering is... do Air Canada have sales that I should hold off for, or should I really be thinking about booking before they reach the scary heights of £900 (which some flights are priced at for different days). Is there any other airlines I should consider - bearing in mind the time of year? I've been looking for flights from Glasgow but I suspect would consider other starting points if it saved me a lot.

We're also thinking about going to the US while we're over there, so as a wee extra if someone can give me a good site for US domestic flights that would be handy too! (we're proposing to drive to Boston and fly from there - at the moment anyway, this might all get far too expensive...)
Old May 8th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights UK - Halifax.. scary prices!

Try www.jetblue.com for US domestic flights!
Old May 8th 2011, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

anitac is on a distinguished road

Have a look at multi-city tickets Air Canada, BA and KLM/Air France offer these starting from Glasgow. You can usually add in a couple of extra flights for not much extra and fly glasgow-halifax-boston-glasgow. Not sure if you'd be able to get direct flights tho. I've done this going to the states before from Glasgow and got in a couple of extra flights for the same price I was going to pay for a return!
Old May 8th 2011, 3:21 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Why dont you look to fly Glasgow - Toronto - Halifax?......looking at the Canadian Affair/Westjet combo, can be done for sub £500.

Canadian Affair fly Nov - Apr on Fri & Sun & in Oct Tues/Weds/Thurs/Sat/Sun....I would recommend using some of the money saved to fly Premium Economy or Club Class (dependant on airline)....this also provides an additional 10 kg luggage allowance.

Just need to ensure you leave sufficent time when you arrive at Toronto to land (clear immigration & customs).
Old May 8th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by izzi81
I'm optimistically having a look at flights from Uk (Glasgow) to Halifax, in the hope that later in the year we might need them to land. Because we'd be travelling in October-November, Air Canada seems the only real option, but I was stunned to see it's going to be over £700 each! When we flew out 2 years ago it was over £500 and I thought that was pricey.

What I'm wondering is... do Air Canada have sales that I should hold off for, or should I really be thinking about booking before they reach the scary heights of £900 (which some flights are priced at for different days). Is there any other airlines I should consider - bearing in mind the time of year? I've been looking for flights from Glasgow but I suspect would consider other starting points if it saved me a lot.

We're also thinking about going to the US while we're over there, so as a wee extra if someone can give me a good site for US domestic flights that would be handy too! (we're proposing to drive to Boston and fly from there - at the moment anyway, this might all get far too expensive...)
The biggest issue with the flight price is that you're looking so much in advance that seasonal pricing probably has not kicked in yet. Good to book in advance in general, but you may need to wait until nearer the time at which point special offers may apply.

I find flying into and out of Canada prohibitively expensive. If you can do so via a US destination then I'd recommend that. A one way car rental will get you to your destination in Canada, and you should still save big money even after accounting for all of the above. A one way rental will give you some choice as to where you start the final part of your journey, helping you take advantage of special deals.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks very much for the replies

One problem we have - and it's a self-inflicted problem! - is that this is our trip to land, and we'd really like to do that at Halifax. Fly to Toronto, or drive to NS from the US, and we'd have to land elsewhere. Daft, but I've always invisioned Halifax airport!!

I'll still look into the US option though, as we're thinking about going to the US too maybe we could do that part first. I'll also check out the multi-city thing, I just assumed that would be too pricey but maybe it would save us some money.

I was frustrated to see that GLA-YHZ is £760, but LHR-YHZ is only £580! Might have to consider that as an option, but it's always more hassle than you think to get down to London, and I can't afford to waste 2 days holiday travelling...

I foresee lots of internet browsing in my future...
Old May 9th 2011, 2:28 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

FYI Air Canada uses BMI for the Scotland to London flight and BMI has discontinued the Glasgow to London route. If you want to fly air canada and land in Halifax, you'll have to fly out of Edinburgh. Then you can get the flight Edinburgh to London; London to Halifax.

My OH and I had to re-schedule our flights as they were booked with Air Canada, Halifax to London, London to Glasgow. Now we will arrive in Edinburgh, which is a bit of a pain as his family lives in a tiny village near Paisley.

The price you list for Air Canada is likely the accurate price with the current exchange rate. You might be able to save up to 100 pounds if you wait for a seat sale, or you may not.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:58 pm
Banned

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's of any help I paid £200 for a one way to toronto.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alexisatk
FYI Air Canada uses BMI for the Scotland to London flight and BMI has discontinued the Glasgow to London route. If you want to fly air canada and land in Halifax, you'll have to fly out of Edinburgh. Then you can get the flight Edinburgh to London; London to Halifax.
ooh thanks for that bit of info. I just checked prices Edinburgh-Halifax and it's over £100 cheaper! not as much as from London, but quite a difference.
Old May 9th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

We often use Continental when flying to/from Halifax. They fly from Glasgow to Newark, which is one of the easier US airports to navigate around.
Virgin also fly from Edinburgh to Boston. Boston to Halifax is a short flight, and Boston is a nice place for a stop over
Old May 9th 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

ooh thanks for that bit of info. I just checked prices Edinburgh-Halifax and it's over £100 cheaper! not as much as from London, but quite a difference.
Google promotional codes until your fingers ache!! i have saved £120 for the 3 of us to fly over next week!!! but you have to search and search.
Also we're making the move in august and it looks as though it will be much cheaper to fly to toronto and then make the long drive back. including dogs flight we're looking at £1000 saving for 6 of us
Old May 10th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

That's a good discount, I will have a look for promo codes, see if anything comes up

I guess my big decision now is whether to book now for Oct when we've not got PR yet, and hope it comes through in time, or wait until we definitely have it, by which point it will be later and flight may be more expensive. We had our meds yesterday, and they have not asked for new police checks which expire in August, so I *presume* it will be OK but it's a bit of an optimistic risk!
Old May 10th 2011, 11:04 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

That's a good discount, I will have a look for promo codes, see if anything comes up

I guess my big decision now is whether to book now for Oct when we've not got PR yet, and hope it comes through in time, or wait until we definitely have it, by which point it will be later and flight may be more expensive. We had our meds yesterday, and they have not asked for new police checks which expire in August, so I *presume* it will be OK but it's a bit of an optimistic risk!
It might be worth booking if you think you are likely to have your PR back in time. Air Canada and the other air lines have a change fee they charge to rebook the ticket if you can't make it, or they will give you a flight credit which allows you to completly rebook up to a year from the original flight date.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/one...ex_europe.html

OHH, but this is new I just checked the above air canada link and it says:
*If your travel originates in Europe, the Middle East or Africa, the following exceptions apply:

Tango: No changes are permitted.
Tango Plus and Executive First Lowest: Changes (for a fee) may be permitted.
So if your doing this option make sure to call air canada and make sure you are able to change the flight before booking - and get them to put a note on your account that says you are allowed to change your flight if your PR doesn't come in on time.
Old May 10th 2011, 11:10 am
New Scotland Girl

Originally Posted by alexisatk
*If your travel originates in Europe, the Middle East or Africa, the following exceptions apply:

Tango: No changes are permitted.
Tango Plus and Executive First Lowest: Changes (for a fee) may be permitted..
I just checked the flights Edinburgh to Halifax, and they are all minium of Tango Plus. So changes should be permitted. But I would highly recommend talking to an Air Canada agent prior and after booking online to make sure they are able to put a note on your account saying that you will be able to rebook.

I know that if you call Air Canada after booking they can put a note on your account that will let you move the return part of your flight for free as you can not book the return flight a year after your outgoing flight via the webpage.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

I would wait to book until you get you PR. we took our medicals in June 2010 and only recieved PR end of January 2011. There is a delay at the moment. Dont want to tempt fate and all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.