Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

first time car buyer in canada

first time car buyer in canada

Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:46 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first time car buyer in canada

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well my experience is totally different from yours, Subarus are very reliable, you're the first person I've come across who has thought otherwise. I rented a GLK once, the problem I had with it as I recall was the wipers because the windshield is so big they just didn't work fast enough in Vancouver.
I was about to ask about all the Sub bashing; I thought it was highly rated
Old Nov 17th 2015, 5:57 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
I was about to ask about all the Sub bashing; I thought it was highly rated
I don't think there was any bashing, just facts. I've owned 4 over the years and 3 failed miserably. My experience is the build quality is below average and reliability poor. I traded for a BMW last week and it's night and day so far for only a very small price premium.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 5:59 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point. And interesting. I think the price premium is a bit higher though, but I guess it depends on model. Not everyone is a successful entrepreneur like you though, RICH
Cheers.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 6:04 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
Fair point. And interesting. I think the price premium is a bit higher though, but I guess it depends on model. Not everyone is a successful entrepreneur like you though, RICH
Cheers.
3yr old 42,000km Impreza STI (on 2nd engine) traded for 4yr old 35,000km 135i. Price difference negligible.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 6:37 am
Account Closed

Thanks RICH
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:11 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Did you take over someones lease? Or a new lease from dealer?
New from a dealer. There is limited availability of vehicles on leasbusters in this part of the world & the deals I was able to obtain for new vehicles met our requirements.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 10:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H

I've leased privately
I've also leased privately in Canada a couple of times, but in both cases the leasing company tried to extort substantial amounts of money for "excess" wear and tear at the end of the lease term.

The first time,(Mazda) I contested it and ended up paying less than 20% of the initial demands but the second time (Toyota) the dealership were so intransigent and unreasonable that I chose to buy the car off lease and sell it privately.

I'd think using leasebusters would heighten the risk of being ripped off this way.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've also leased privately in Canada a couple of times, but in both cases the leasing company tried to extort substantial amounts of money for "excess" wear and tear at the end of the lease term.

The first time,(Mazda) I contested it and ended up paying less than 20% of the initial demands but the second time (Toyota) the dealership were so intransigent and unreasonable that I chose to buy the car off lease and sell it privately.

I'd think using leasebusters would heighten the risk of being ripped off this way.
I've leased a couple of dozen vehicles, mostly from Ford, and only had this
battle once (over a Suzuki). Ford were always very reasonable "I'm not noticing your tyres" one end-of-lease inspector told me, kindly. It was the low hassle nature of the experience that caused me to keep going back. It's only because we do too many miles that we don't have any leased vehicles now.

Dodge were pretty good about the lease conditions too but, after three years, their vans were truly worn out. I was always concerned that the vehicle would revert to a bucket of bolts at 2 years and 11 months.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:50 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've similar had good experience when returning leased vehicles to Ford (where I had no wear protection insurance) and Kia (where I did). In the latter case, it was a really easy conversation. "Here's the keys, it's parked out back. Bye". With the Ford, I was missing a passenger headrest (had taken it off to fit a car seat and mislaid it). Buying that as a part was expensive but when it was noted on the lease return it only cost $100 which was reasonable enough. Dealers are incentivised to sell you a new vehicle so unless you've really abused the lease vehicle or gone significantly over mileage, they are going to be reasonably accomodating on the return.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 3:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^ interesting reports in the 2 previous posts. In summary: good experiences with Ford & GM, bad with 3 different Japanese brands.

So far this is the statistics of small numbers and therefore meaningless but I wonder if other members can add their own data?

On edit: On re-reading AXP I see mention of excess wear insurance, a new concept to me. Duh!

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 18th 2015 at 3:17 pm.