Reload this Page >

First steps of moving

First steps of moving

Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Jess.Exeter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First steps of moving

Hi,

I'm Jess I live in Exeter (Devon) UK. I'm 25. I have a Business Bachelors degree and have worked as a legal secretary, currently working in the nhs as secretary to the surgery management team.

I have made no steps at moving apart from seeing property prices, health care, salaries, crime rates etc.

I'd like to hear from Canadian citizens and fellow UK expats on their advice/experience on moving. For example: how much money should I have in the bank, how easy is it to get a job interview, quality of life, reception upon arrival etc. and essentially...is it worth investing in!?

I know Canada is HUGE compared to the UK but I'd also like a bit of advice on where would suit me to live. Ideally I'd want snowy winters and sunny summers (hot if possible but we Brits are used to disappointing summers) a large town but not a city or a tiny village, I don't speak French but have booked classes to learn. Basically something similar to Devon - a very friendly and close-knit county of the UK. - I'm also partial to gawping at a beautiful sight for hours so forests, mountains, beaches - I'm not fussy.

To sum it up: what qualifications as admin staff, how much to have in the bank, reception on arrival, job applications and general ideas for location.

Sorry to be so fussy. But also thank you in advance for those who reply. (Sorry if you've read this a thousand times before - it's the first for me)

Kind regards
Jess (and Monty the dog)
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First steps of moving

Originally Posted by Jess.Exeter
Hi,

I'm Jess I live in Exeter (Devon) UK. I'm 25. I have a Business Bachelors degree and have worked as a legal secretary, currently working in the nhs as secretary to the surgery management team.

I have made no steps at moving apart from seeing property prices, health care, salaries, crime rates etc.

I'd like to hear from Canadian citizens and fellow UK expats on their advice/experience on moving. For example: how much money should I have in the bank, how easy is it to get a job interview, quality of life, reception upon arrival etc. and essentially...is it worth investing in!?

I know Canada is HUGE compared to the UK but I'd also like a bit of advice on where would suit me to live. Ideally I'd want snowy winters and sunny summers (hot if possible but we Brits are used to disappointing summers) a large town but not a city or a tiny village, I don't speak French but have booked classes to learn. Basically something similar to Devon - a very friendly and close-knit county of the UK. - I'm also partial to gawping at a beautiful sight for hours so forests, mountains, beaches - I'm not fussy.

To sum it up: what qualifications as admin staff, how much to have in the bank, reception on arrival, job applications and general ideas for location.

Sorry to be so fussy. But also thank you in advance for those who reply. (Sorry if you've read this a thousand times before - it's the first for me)

Kind regards
Jess (and Monty the dog)
If it's forests mountains and beaches then Ontario isn't for you and you are probably better off somewhere out west. I think something similar to Devon is a push- you will find Canada and the people quite different.

I have no idea what qualifications you'd need to continue being a legal secretary here but there are legal professionals on this site who I'm sure could help.

The rest of it is fairly vague. I arrived with $4000 but had somewhere to stay for 6 weeks and got a job fairly swiftly. At a minimum you probably want to bring enough money to survive for 3 months whilst you are figuring out the job and stuff etc.

Lastly immigration is a pretty drawn out process but you will be eligible for IEC (because of your age) so I'd research that in the first instance before looking at places to live and if your qualifications are up to spec.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 24th 2015 at 10:57 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Jess.Exeter
You've not mentioned visas in that lot?! That needs to be your first step - no point looking at property prices if you can't even move there permanently.

As a secretary/legal secretary you may find it a struggle to find work tbh. Have a look at posts by our lovely mod Siouxie who has documented her struggle to find work (even with years of Canadian experience and the right to work), in a similar field.

The IEC visa would get you over there for a year or two, but if you want to move permanently, then I'd look further ahead and see if you'll be eligible for PR when the time comes too.

As for area, you've described most of Canada so it's hard to narrow it down really. I think the best thing to do would be to visit and have a look for yourself. Do also search the forums to find info on how easy it is to make friends in Canada - you mention wanting a friendly and 'close-knit' community, but an oft repeated annoyance on the forum is that Canadians are very tough to get close to and there's not the same sense of 'popping in and out of each other's houses for a cuppa' as you get in the UK.

As for money, this thread might be useful reading, although most of it is figures from those with families so you'll find it a bit cheaper than that as it's just you - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/

HTH a bit, best of luck with it.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note - French isn't necessary outside of Quebec. It might help with some jobs, but is not necessary. I have lived here most of my life and cannot speak ten words in French.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

You're not going to find somewhere similar to Devon in Canada. If you're looking for something like Devon in the ways you're describing, it might be best to stay in the UK. Canada is a different place in many ways, and you will not find English style cities, towns or villages or counties here.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

New Zealand is nothing like Devon either but from what you have written it may more closely fit your bill of wishes.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

bigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of light

Hi jess,

I hear Kelowna in BC is meant to be nice and tick most boxes for you - warm in the summer (not so sure if it is snowy in the winters), it is technically a city but with a population of less than 200,000 it is really a 'large town', it has beaches, mountains + ski resort, forests, the lot!

have a gander:
Kelowna | Destination BC - Official Site

In terms of money in the bank, we had to prove that we had at least $10,000 in our bank account (each) but that was through the FSWP last year.

Job wise can be a bit hit and miss - some get jobs straight away (i.e. like my other half on her 3rd day!) some dont (i.e. me!). i have found that it is slightly different to the UK
- they say that 80% of the jobs you have to uncover yourself, i.e. through networking etc. So it is all about who you know...

For us i think moving to Canada has definitely improved our quality of life by miles!