Reload this Page >

Fingerprints for US Police certificate

Fingerprints for US Police certificate

Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

largy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fingerprints for US Police certificate

Hi folks,

Reading through the threads i was under the impression that in order to get finger prints to send off for an American police certificate i could either do them myself, go to a professional company or (and the best option) go my my local station and get them done there.

I have just been to my local police station (Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, England) and was told that the only place i can get the finger printing done is at the Met, a specific department with a booking in system? I haven't heard anyone else say that on this forum and just wanted to know how others have managed to do it at their local station?

Also, it will be easier to just find and pay a professional company (already spent an arm & a leg on everything why stop now?!) but do you think this is a potentially bad idea?

Thanks for any information.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:12 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fingerprints for US Police certificate

What exactly are you trying to get? A quick search did turn up this: https://www.met.police.uk/request/your-fingerprints/

That seems to step you through things, so it may contain the option you need.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by largy
Hi folks,

Reading through the threads i was under the impression that in order to get finger prints to send off for an American police certificate i could either do them myself, go to a professional company or (and the best option) go my my local station and get them done there.

I have just been to my local police station (Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, England) and was told that the only place i can get the finger printing done is at the Met, a specific department with a booking in system? I haven't heard anyone else say that on this forum and just wanted to know how others have managed to do it at their local station?

Also, it will be easier to just find and pay a professional company (already spent an arm & a leg on everything why stop now?!) but do you think this is a potentially bad idea?

Thanks for any information.
Generally local police stations can't offer the service, but Police Service HQs can. Unfortunately West Midlands don't seem to do it any longer but other neighbouring ones may well do. Try searching google for your other local police services.
Nottingham is an example - https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/fingerprints
also Staffordshire
https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/...-Visa-Purposes

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 16th 2017 at 1:45 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

largy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou Sharkus & Pollyana for your replies.
Pollyana i will contact both of those police services and see what they say.

I have also found a company named Fingerprints UK who seem promising so i will try them also and keep this thread updated.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:28 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my fingerprints taken at the Police HQ in Leicester, just off the M1 near Fosse Park shopping centre.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about an FBI-CJIS check? I was under the impression you could only get those done in the US because the agency has to be registered with CJIS, the FBI have no idea who the Met are, they could be anyone's fingerprints.

I had mine done in the US, back in ye olde days of the FD-258 form, but they can do them electronically now.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:12 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Steve_
Are you talking about an FBI-CJIS check? I was under the impression you could only get those done in the US because the agency has to be registered with CJIS, the FBI have no idea who the Met are, they could be anyone's fingerprints.

I had mine done in the US, back in ye olde days of the FD-258 form, but they can do them electronically now.
1, They can be done anywhere, you can even down load the fingerprint sheets and do them yourself if you are so inclined.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

On the FD-258 it asks for the name of the agency and the agency official doing it. It's all electronic now so no foreign agency could submit them that way. Maybe CJIS still takes the FD-258 but nowhere on the form does it seem to contemplate a foreign agency using it.

It's been ages since the last time I had it done so I'm open to being corrected but I'm pretty sure at the time they had to be done in the US.

How closely does CJIS check I wonder.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:24 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

On the FD-258 it asks for the name of the agency and the agency official doing it. It's all electronic now so no foreign agency could submit them that way. Maybe CJIS still takes the FD-258 but nowhere on the form does it seem to contemplate a foreign agency using it.

It's been ages since the last time I had it done so I'm open to being corrected but I'm pretty sure at the time they had to be done in the US.

Now that is something I thought that I would never read..
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/id...summary-checks
If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
5. Where can I get my fingerprints taken?
If submitting directly to the FBI, your local, county, or state law enforcement agencies may take your fingerprints for a fee. Also, some printing companies offer this service; check the yellow pages in your telephone book or search online.
7. Can I use the fingerprint card I download from this site?

Yes, the FBI will accept FD-258 fingerprint cards on standard white paper stock, but if you go to a law enforcement agency or private fingerprinting agency to be fingerprinted, they may prefer to use a fingerprint card on standard card stock. You may use the fingerprint card provided by the printing agency.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 23rd 2017 at 5:55 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

For FBI checks for migration purposes they accept prints taken by the Met and all other UK police services. I know cos I have been involved in taking the prints on many ocdasions. They are only rejected if they are poor quality- which is why I would never recommend that someone should take their own prints.