Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding a good school in the GTA

Finding a good school in the GTA

Old Feb 18th 2018, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Katysid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a good school in the GTA

My family and I are moving to the GTA from the UK.
My husband has work in Vaughan and he's willing to travel about 40-50 mins max to get to work.
We're not sure where to settle exactly but of course we want to get our kids (4 and 6yrs) into good schools. We really like the Halton region but happy to hear of any other areas worth considering.

Does anyone have any advice on how we can find a good school?
Or any recommendation for good schools in those areas?

TIA
Old Feb 18th 2018, 8:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a good school in the GTA

Originally Posted by Katysid
My husband has work in Vaughan and he's willing to travel about 40-50 mins max to get to work.
We're not sure where to settle exactly but of course we want to get our kids (4 and 6yrs) into good schools. We really like the Halton region but happy to hear of any other areas worth considering.

TIA
What's your budget for buying a home?
Old Feb 18th 2018, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Do be aware that schools do NOT vary as much as they do in the UK

It is not as necessary to find the so-called good school ............... schools within a school district are generally all on a par with each other, especially in the primary grades.

Decide where you want to live first!

If it is any help, your elder child would now be in Grade 1 and the 4 year old would have started in Primary Kindergarten last September.

Your only really major decision might be to determine whether you want your children to go to the regular English school or whether to try to get them in the French Immersion school for the area.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katysid

TIA
When we first moved to Ontario my youngest went to Cookstown School which is about 45 mins from Vaughan in busy traffic. It’s a lovely little school and the village of cookstown is nice too.
The catchment is pretty rural though so depends what you’re looking for.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Do be aware that schools do NOT vary as much as they do in the UK
I think this is likely true up to the age of five or so. After that I think schools in the GTA vary enormously in quality and that the desirability of houses varies with the school district in which they sit. I would look for a state funded IB high school and set up near that.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What's your budget for buying a home?
Our budget is maximum $900k
Old Feb 19th 2018, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DandNHill
When we first moved to Ontario my youngest went to Cookstown School which is about 45 mins from Vaughan in busy traffic. It’s a lovely little school and the village of cookstown is nice too.
The catchment is pretty rural though so depends what you’re looking for.
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! We're currently living just outside London and I'm really wanting to find somewhere greener, with a nice community/ villagey feel.