Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Comebackseason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Haha yeah. We got a credit card at the same time. It's used for everything.
We just do cashback thing at the moment. And we're set to get a fair bit thanks to paying for literally everything on it.
Everyone seems obsessed with air miles as well. I guess when everywhere is so far away it makes some sense.
Credit cards are great! Husband runs a business and puts all of his business expenses on an American Express platinum card. We get free flights, airport lounge access, valet services all just for using the card (which is paid off every single month anyway). If we were just using direct debits from the business account for this we would never receive such benefits.

You guys have to remember Canada is a HUGE nation and most of it is uninhabited. Seriously outside of southern Ontario no one really lives north of the province. So imagine trying to build infrastructure to deliver groceries in a nation like that. It's near impossible and I would imagine the cost of doing so doesn't outweigh the benefit. England is stuffed to the brim with people and it's tiny you just can't compare the 2.

I work as a health care professional (pharmacist) and if I was working in the uk I wouldn't be making much more than 30-35k pounds a year. In Canada pharmacists make something like 110-120k a year. Not to mention taxes are much higher in the uk.

Education is another thing- uni is £9k a year at least. While in Canada it's more like $7500 or so.

The country is cleaner, roads are wider, parking spots are wider, there is ample FREE parking nearly everywhere you go. Go train stations have huge amounts of park and go parking and it's actually right next to the train station.

The summers are much better and even in the winter it's snowing but you still get sunny days.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Comebackseason
Credit cards are great! Husband runs a business and puts all of his business expenses on an American Express platinum card. We get free flights, airport lounge access, valet services all just for using the card (which is paid off every single month anyway). If we were just using direct debits from the business account for this we would never receive such benefits.

You guys have to remember Canada is a HUGE nation and most of it is uninhabited. Seriously outside of southern Ontario no one really lives north of the province. So imagine trying to build infrastructure to deliver groceries in a nation like that. It's near impossible and I would imagine the cost of doing so doesn't outweigh the benefit. England is stuffed to the brim with people and it's tiny you just can't compare the 2.

I work as a health care professional (pharmacist) and if I was working in the uk I wouldn't be making much more than 30-35k pounds a year. In Canada pharmacists make something like 110-120k a year. Not to mention taxes are much higher in the uk.

Education is another thing- uni is £9k a year at least. While in Canada it's more like $7500 or so.

The country is cleaner, roads are wider, parking spots are wider, there is ample FREE parking nearly everywhere you go. Go train stations have huge amounts of park and go parking and it's actually right next to the train station.

The summers are much better and even in the winter it's snowing but you still get sunny days.
Hmmm, I found university in Canada was rather more than $7500/year. Perhaps if you attend a university in-province and take an inexpensive course, something you might be obliged to do when paying $599/year to have a credit card!
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hmmm, I found university in Canada was rather more than $7500/year. Perhaps if you attend a university in-province and take an inexpensive course, something you might be obliged to do when paying $599/year to have a credit card!
Fortunately our annual fee's for the credit card are waived, which is normal for specific revenue. I just looked up all the tuition for McMaster University (one of the finest universities in Canada) and their bachelors in medical radiation sciences program is 7300/year. These professionals are also paid quite well upon graduation.

Also if you look at the Ontario student loans website there are now grants that will allow tuition to be free for Canadians who earn less than 40k/year and many partial grants for students who come from middle income families.

We live in Ontario in Burlington so I used McMaster as an example. I don't see why anyone would go out of province for an undergrad unless the program you wish to study is not offered in your local schools. Also Canada doesn't charge out of province fees from what I understand, it would just be more expensive because you would be living on campus

https://futurestudents.yorku.ca/tuition

Last edited by Comebackseason; Feb 24th 2017 at 3:27 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has recently applied for a place on an engineering course. IIRC, the tuition is $4,500 a year.

What are the "expensive" courses in Canadian universities?

I accept that attending a university in a different Province increases the costs somewhat.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My daughter has recently applied for a place on an engineering course. IIRC, the tuition is $4,500 a year.

What are the "expensive" courses in Canadian universities?

I accept that attending a university in a different Province increases the costs somewhat.

I believe vet school to be costly but it was a liberal arts course I found to be expensive, 5917-7200 for that university, according to this price list:

Tuition fees by university - Universities Canada

Isn't law also a few bob?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I believe vet school to be costly but it was a liberal arts course I found to be expensive, 5917-7200 for that university, according to this price list:

Tuition fees by university - Universities Canada

I honestly have no idea about law. Youngest daughter is making noises about law at the moment but I am trying desperately to convince her to do something useful.

As you may recall, the engineer in waiting wanted to be a vet but changed her mind when she did some work with our local vet. It was then that the realisation hit her that, for the most part, vets do horrible things to animals (as that is the main part of their job) rather than spend all day cuddling animals in the corner

I heard that dentistry was expensive too.

My daughter is looking to live away from home and, quite frankly, I was amazed that, for around $15,000 a year, she would be able to pay her tuition, her accommodation and her "food" for the time of her studies. I have no idea how appetising the "food" is but I can only assume it is better than the beans on toast her mother and I lived on while she was a baby and I was attending uni.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I honestly have no idea about law. Youngest daughter is making noises about law at the moment but I am trying desperately to convince her to do something useful.

As you may recall, the engineer in waiting wanted to be a vet but changed her mind when she did some work with our local vet. It was then that the realisation hit her that, for the most part, vets do horrible things to animals (as that is the main part of their job) rather than spend all day cuddling animals in the corner

My daughter is looking to live away from home and, quite frankly, I was amazed that, for around $15,000 a year, she would be able to pay her tuition, her accommodation and her "food" for the time of her studies. I have no idea how appetising the "food" is but I can only assume it is better than the beans on toast her mother and I lived on while she was a baby and I was attending uni.
Oh yes, I've heard that about dentistry.

The owner of the barn where our horses are is away this week, a vet student is living there and looking after the horses which suits her as she has an exam next week and noisy roommates where she usually lives. We are all a little nervous as it's a practical exam and there are suddenly a lot of veterinary tools in the tack room; they look a lot like carpentry tools. I don't think there's much glamour in being a vet unless you're looking after poodles or the Queen's horses.

I think it fair to say that the lawyer daughter experienced a steady decline in living standards over the course of her education. She started out in residence with a meal plan (yes, about $15,000 at the time) and wound up attending law school while working evenings and not living anywhere with a bed. Still, she's a fabulously wealthy rapacious capitalist now, as all lawyers are.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Post graduate education is expensive which is to be expected since the salaries these professionals end up making much more money compared to their uk counterparts. My cousin is a OBGYN in England and makes around 60k pounds a year while an OB in Canada would make $237,738-$329,786. Stark contrast right there.

It's the same with almost every single profession nurses make pennies in the uk while in Canada they are very well paid professionals.

It's all about cost vs benefit
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Post graduate education is expensive which is to be expected since the salaries these professionals end up making much more money compared to their uk counterparts ...
Only if you see education solely as vocational training. I doubt that's true of the people setting the fees.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

$15k all in for the year is very reasonable. We have one at Brock studying Accounting on a co-op course. I think his fees are about $8k a year but his first year in residence was something like $10k by the time you factor in books and extra food then I would say we paid $20k. He is now in 4th year and has had several work terms for which he gets paid so he pretty much pays his own way now. Our other one just started engineering at Queens, tuition for that course is $13k for the year plus another $13k for residence.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

About $8k a year on the prairies, $25k in Toronto (all domestic fees). For a three year course, after undergrad.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Only if you see education solely as vocational training. I doubt that's true of the people setting the fees.
Too true. From my far too many years researching higher education, I have come to the considered conclusion that HE tuition/rate setting is a mysterious algorithm, the development of which is based solely on the principle of; charge whatever we can get away with.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Post graduate education is expensive which is to be expected since the salaries these professionals end up making much more money compared to their uk counterparts. My cousin is a OBGYN in England and makes around 60k pounds a year while an OB in Canada would make $237,738-$329,786. Stark contrast right there.

It's the same with almost every single profession nurses make pennies in the uk while in Canada they are very well paid professionals.

Your cousin must be part time- I find it hard to believe any Obs/Gynae consultant would be on 60K full time.
Equally your figures for Canada on on the low side- a quick look at my OBGYN colleagues locally shows them to be 290-390K ish which I think is low for what they do, the risk they take, the on call plus the horrific indemnity fees they pay, plus all figures here do not take into account office overheads which can be considerable.
Once everything is taken into account, Canada will be more but not by as much as you suggest.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
About $8k a year on the prairies, $25k in Toronto (all domestic fees). For a three year course, after undergrad.
And on the west coast?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

And on the west coast?
$9k for Victoria, $11-12k for UBC. West is generally better than East for this, at least (Toronto's domestic tuition is about what everyone else charges internationals).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.