Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally leaving Ottawa

Finally leaving Ottawa

Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally leaving Ottawa

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Lived here in Ottawa the past 14 years and don't speak French and have no degrees, etc. Never had a problem finding IT jobs and am now in a management position. Maybe it's the British accent they fall for. Always sounds more sophisticated than you really are.
A Geordie, Scouser, Glasgow etc, etc accent sounds sophisticated??? I think not. Is there really such a thing as a British accent?
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
A Geordie, Scouser, Glasgow etc, etc accent sounds sophisticated??? I think not. Is there really such a thing as a British accent?
Rather, old chap.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:28 pm

a northern soul is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
no, because it's not really a bilingual country. the centre can keep telling the rest of us it is, but in reality it's not. it just a form of discrimination which directly favours those born around toronto/ottawa etc, which is imo basically a different country than where i live in vancouver. why the **** should anyone be paid for bilingualim in french in vancouver with it's microscopically small francophone population who all speak english anyway cos they have to to survive, except the ones sucking off the federal government teat? you know who you are.

where is the large french speaking market in vancouver of hundreds of thousands to require so much money spent on these bilingual federal services? there isn't one. and it just takes money from the rest of us to prop up the myth that the rest of canada outside that centre bit is bilingual. that should be a hint right there. Just checked wikipedia - ooh look it's a whopping 6% of the population of vancouver that is francophone! wow! let's throw MORE money at those underfunded people!

it's stupid. it's bs imo.

western separation fwiw!

or even better, quebec separation.

sorry for the thread hijack aqua, i hope you enjoy vernon.

Oh please don't mention separation, I'm fed up to the back teeth of hearing the solidarity brigade banging their pots and pans about it, hence my need to escape from Quebec to live in the real Canada.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
no, because it's not really a bilingual country. the centre can keep telling the rest of us it is, but in reality it's not. it just a form of discrimination which directly favours those born around toronto/ottawa etc, which is imo basically a different country than where i live in vancouver. why the **** should anyone be paid for bilingualim in french in vancouver with it's microscopically small francophone population who all speak english anyway cos they have to to survive, except the ones sucking off the federal government teat? you know who you are.

where is the large french speaking market in vancouver of hundreds of thousands to require so much money spent on these bilingual federal services?
Nice rant KWL but your premise and most of your conclusions are wrong. Canada IS a bilingual country...it's in the Constitution and is not something imposed on the extremities by central Canada at all.

I can't quite see how it advantages people born around Toronto, but whether or not it does, Toronto is in the same country as Vancouver, irrespective of how you feel is concerned.

I wonder if you can substantiate that it costs a significant amount to provide bilingual federal services in Vancouver? I imagine Toronto must be much worse off since the city provides municipal services in over 50 languages.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a northern soul
Oh please don't mention separation, I'm fed up to the back teeth of hearing the solidarity brigade banging their pots and pans about it, hence my need to escape from Quebec to live in the real Canada.
Where on earth were you living in Qc? I'm not too fond of the separatists myself, but manage quite nicely to "agree to disagree" with the pots & pan bangers.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nice rant KWL but your premise and most of your conclusions are wrong. Canada IS a bilingual country...it's in the Constitution and is not something imposed on the extremities by central Canada at all.

I can't quite see how it advantages people born around Toronto, but whether or not it does, Toronto is in the same country as Vancouver, irrespective of how you feel is concerned.

I wonder if you can substantiate that it costs a significant amount to provide bilingual federal services in Vancouver? I imagine Toronto must be much worse off since the city provides municipal services in over 50 languages.
At the risk of inflaming the debate, I'll add a +1 to the above. I hear, via family members/friends, that it's easier to get gubmint services in Vancouver in Cantonese & Potunghua than French ...

S
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:58 pm

I am living in Ndg and I also agree to disagree with the leftys but I just cannot get a break in the job market hence my decision to move west. I speak some French and I just dont care enough about this province and all its solidarity to want to stay.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

I am living in Ndg and I also agree to disagree with the leftys but I just cannot get a break in the job market hence my decision to move west. I speak some French and I just dont care enough about this province and all its solidarity to want to stay.
Err, Notre Dame de Grace is one of the most Anglophone parts of Montreal.

I can't quite see your problem with "lefty separatists".
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:11 pm

ErrrrOn paper Ndg is but in reality it isn't. Nudge nudge wink wink, know what I mean.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:21 pm
Born again atheist

ErrrrOn paper Ndg is but in reality it isn't. Nudge nudge wink wink, know what I mean.
Frankly, not a clue mate.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Well, then, fairy 'nuff. & sincerely good luck with your move. I do agree that Qc isn't everyone's cup of tea; it's taken me a while to adapt . I had a good giggle at your description of the Separatists as lefties !

NDG probably isn't westerly enough to qualify as *really* Anglo today, Novo. However, I do have unilingual friends who work in that area.

S
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:37 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Well, then, fairy 'nuff. & sincerely good luck with your move. I do agree that Qc isn't everyone's cup of tea; it's taken me a while to adapt . I had a good giggle at your description of the Separatists as lefties !

NDG probably isn't westerly enough to qualify as *really* Anglo today, Novo. However, I do have unilingual friends who work in that area.

S
I bow to your more recent and much more extensive experience.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I bow to your more recent and much more extensive experience.
Ah Gawd, please don't !! I hate the effing language/quartier debate re Montreal

S
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Shirtback

S

It's not even the fact of the neighbourhood being Anglo as on paper it is, I have lived in the Pointe, the Mile end, westmount and Ndg and found the same set of people everywhere,always pushing for this n that and more more more.
I just find the vast majority of MOntrealers to be so damned weird, I am a city boy and to me here,it's like living in Royston Vasey!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:22 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Back to a post a way back, but don't French road signs also say "STOP" and not "ARRET"?
Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:14 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Back to a post a way back, but don't French road signs also say "STOP" and not "ARRET"?
Yes, but we're discussing Québec, not France.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.