Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally leaving Ottawa

Finally leaving Ottawa

Old May 20th 2014, 5:05 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Finally leaving Ottawa

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I hope I didn't come over as too sarcastic in my previous contributions to this thread.

I'm an Anglo. *Very* Anglo; I have the kind of accent lots of people like to mock, even after many years out of the UK I'm also very lucky (with a bit of hard work thrown in) to be bilingual.

I'm sorry the OPs have had a bad experience in Ottawa, re language. I do take issue with the "only Francophones will get the bilingual jobs" attitude. I'm basically unemployed at the moment, but I've had 3 job offers in the last 2 months from Ottawa, and no one could have cared less about which side of the fence I'm classified as. (Unfortunately, personal circumstances prevent me from upping sticks and moving there right now).

I also have several unilingual (English) friends in both Ottawa, & Qc, the Canadian bastion of French language protection, and can report that they manage to work, live and play successfully.

S
Did any of those jobs you were offered in Ottawa require you to speak French?

I'd imagine if you were unilingual (English) in Quebec it would be very difficult to find decent work unless you had deep roots in the existing Anglo communities there.
Old May 20th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Did any of those jobs you were offered in Ottawa require you to speak French?

I'd imagine if you were unilingual (English) in Quebec it would be very difficult to find decent work unless you had deep roots in the existing Anglo communities there.
1/3 did. I was surprised the other 2 didn't.

There's a fairly recent (couple of months ago) thread* here on BE which may prove an exception to your second paragraph.

S

* here it is :
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=820691&page=3

Last edited by Shirtback; May 20th 2014 at 5:44 pm. Reason: Adding reference
Old May 20th 2014, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to the above post, a major downtown job agency advised me that if an employer required bilingualism, then there were plenty of Francophones available for that job. It makes sense, why employ someone who has learned French as an adult (unless, perhaps they were very advanced and practically fluent) when they can have a Francophone?

In answer to some earlier responses to my post, I can also say that in my last job I worked with a number of Anglo Canadians, of different professional levels with a wide age range. Yes, there are jobs for English-only speakers (obviously, I had one), I was just making the point that more employers are now asking for French. During the several years I worked for a large downtown company, the receptionist always answered the telephone with the company name, followed by 'bonjour'. No English. The staff in that company generally speak English day-to-day, though you will hear some Francophones fall into speaking French to each other. If someone needed assistance with French, there was always someone nearby who would help.

What I wanted to point out is that more recently, more employers are asking for French, which means that the English speakers have a smaller pool of jobs for which they can apply. That's just a fact. As is the existence of the so-called 'language police'.

Last edited by Boris-canadabound; May 20th 2014 at 5:52 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
1/3 did. I was surprised the other 2 didn't.

There's a fairly recent (couple of months ago) thread* here on BE which may prove an exception to your second paragraph.

S

* here it is :
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=820691&page=3
Talking of bilingualism, does anybody know what's happened with MillieF. She hasn't posted since the end of March.
Old May 20th 2014, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Talking of bilingualism, does anybody know what's happened with MillieF. She hasn't posted since the end of March.
I was wondering about her too; I *think* she popped in over the weekend, but can't remember on which thread.

S
Old May 21st 2014, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There must, by now, be a huge population of completely bilingual Canadians. I don't think my children would self-identify as either anglo or franco; they grew up in Canada so they speak both languages. Simple as that. That was true of their contemporaries at high school and of many of them at university.

It seems to me that people who are not bilingual are rightly disadvantaged in governmental positions. In non-government jobs it's less clear cut but, if the staff and customers of a business are likely to speak either language, as is the case in Ottawa, I'd hire people who spoke both languages ahead of people who only spoke one. I can't see that there need be a conspiracy, bilingual people are likely to be more useful and there's no shortage of them.

I suppose that in Vernon, as in Switzerland, one will need to speak many languages.
I am Canadian, and I would identify as very, very anglo. I am unilingual (English) , and as far as I am concerned the federal government should force quebec to recognise English as well as French in the province, and demand removal of the "language police" , as well as the dumb requirement that there always be French text on a sign, and if there is also English text on said sign, that the French text be larger than the English text. That's racist IMO.

Originally Posted by Aqua
Amazing! Red is such a nice colour ( Color). I've done my research thank you and I have come to my own conclusions
Color is the US spelling for "Colour" in proper English. No need for that in Canada. We at least spell colour properly here. Do get with the times.

Jeez, I was wondering the same thing!
Old May 21st 2014, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
I am Canadian, and I would identify as very, very anglo. I am unilingual (English) , and as far as I am concerned the federal government should force quebec to recognise English as well as French in the province, <snip> That's racist IMO.

Thats puerile, puéril, Kindisch (and you are rather young). You are obviously convinced (correctly) that dual citizenship is a boon.

But bilingualism is a greater one. It takes a bit more work though.

And the Quebecois are not a race. Even Pauline never said that.
Old May 21st 2014, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Thats puerile, puéril, Kindisch (and you are rather young). You are obviously convinced (correctly) that dual citizenship is a boon.

But bilingualism is a greater one. It takes a bit more work though.

And the Quebecois are not a race. Even Pauline never said that.
I think that was a mix of French and German there? Ah yes, I do love my dual nationality, and I think bi/multi lingualism is good too, I'm in the process (or should I say need to start ) of learning Maltese... I just don't see French as a necessity at the moment. And I didn't mean "racist" in that context, would you prefer the term "linguist" ? (Maybe should refer back to the grammar thread ) (What? Did that even make sense? Tis almost midnight...)
Old May 21st 2014, 5:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I am Canadian, and I would identify as very, very anglo. I am unilingual (English) , and as far as I am concerned the federal government should force quebec to recognise English as well as French in the province, and demand removal of the "language police" , as well as the dumb requirement that there always be French text on a sign, and if there is also English text on said sign, that the French text be larger than the English text. That's racist IMO.

Then should the federal government also force the other provinces to recognise French as well as English? If not, would that be "racist" in your opinion?
Old May 21st 2014, 12:57 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not up to the federal government. Canada's constitution requires that anything "federal" be available in both languages. You could demand service in English or French in any federal building anywhere in Canada. After that, it's up to the provinces and municipalities. New Brunswick is officially bilingual. Ottawa is bilingual when it comes to anything in the public sector, as are some other communities in Ontario.

The signage requirement is often ignored. There are villages near me, in QC, where there are signs etc written only in English. It's the same in the west end of Montreal (places like Beaconsfield). The stop signs do not say "arret"; the say "stop".
Old May 21st 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process (or should I say need to start ) of learning Maltese...
But I thought Malta was 'home' and you were a Maltese who is unfortunately trapped in a Canadian body!!!!
Old May 21st 2014, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Then should the federal government also force the other provinces to recognise French as well as English? If not, would that be "racist" in your opinion?
Yes it would. It's all or nothing in my opinion. Every province should uphold both languages equally and not be biased against one or the other because of their "different" cultural roots.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
But I thought Malta was 'home' and you were a Maltese who is unfortunately trapped in a Canadian body!!!!
I am... But in order to be fully Maltese, I need to speak the language you know... I wasn't born knowing how to speak anything I was just taught English first, and have chosen to learn Maltese now
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:21 pm

a northern soul is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving from quebec to the Ottawa area after struggling with the language police here for the past few years. Can anybody recommend any areas around Ottawa for newcomers with very little French ?
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:00 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Isn't it reasonable to expect that, in a bilingual country, anything to do with law or government is going to require knowing both languages?
no, because it's not really a bilingual country. the centre can keep telling the rest of us it is, but in reality it's not. it just a form of discrimination which directly favours those born around toronto/ottawa etc, which is imo basically a different country than where i live in vancouver. why the **** should anyone be paid for bilingualim in french in vancouver with it's microscopically small francophone population who all speak english anyway cos they have to to survive, except the ones sucking off the federal government teat? you know who you are.

where is the large french speaking market in vancouver of hundreds of thousands to require so much money spent on these bilingual federal services? there isn't one. and it just takes money from the rest of us to prop up the myth that the rest of canada outside that centre bit is bilingual. that should be a hint right there. Just checked wikipedia - ooh look it's a whopping 6% of the population of vancouver that is francophone! wow! let's throw MORE money at those underfunded people!

it's stupid. it's bs imo.

western separation fwiw!

or even better, quebec separation.

sorry for the thread hijack aqua, i hope you enjoy vernon.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 18th 2014 at 7:20 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:43 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a northern soul
I am moving from quebec to the Ottawa area after struggling with the language police here for the past few years. Can anybody recommend any areas around Ottawa for newcomers with very little French ?
Lived here in Ottawa the past 14 years and don't speak French and have no degrees, etc. Never had a problem finding IT jobs and am now in a management position. Maybe it's the British accent they fall for. Always sounds more sophisticated than you really are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.