Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally leaving Ottawa

Finally leaving Ottawa

Old May 20th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally leaving Ottawa

Just Google 'Ottawa language police' and you will find several articles on this topic, including in the Ottawa Citizen.
Old May 20th 2014, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Here you go boys and girls......

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...me-to-ontario/

Now play nice together
Old May 20th 2014, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
We'll this has become a heated thread!

So to explain for the slightly dim

Any company or government office you call or visit will first great you in French and English second, simply because they do not want to be labelled Anti Franco and run the risk of trouble.
What if people want to then (rightly) label them as anti-anglo by doing that procedure?
Old May 20th 2014, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

StinkyPup

Can you stop posting those disgusting pics of the dump that is Vernon! I nearly choked with disgust on my Coffee lol

Roger
Old May 20th 2014, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
What if people want to then (rightly) label them as anti-anglo by doing that procedure?

You can label who you like, I try not to label any one but simply have opinions on a practice that obviously is not a 2 way street!
Old May 20th 2014, 3:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
The friend I spoke about is an English speaking Canadian and in the past has been able to find work fairly easily. I know a number of born and bred non-French speaking Ontarian Canadians who tell me the situation was not always like this.
There must, by now, be a huge population of completely bilingual Canadians. I don't think my children would self-identify as either anglo or franco; they grew up in Canada so they speak both languages. Simple as that. That was true of their contemporaries at high school and of many of them at university.

It seems to me that people who are not bilingual are rightly disadvantaged in governmental positions. In non-government jobs it's less clear cut but, if the staff and customers of a business are likely to speak either language, as is the case in Ottawa, I'd hire people who spoke both languages ahead of people who only spoke one. I can't see that there need be a conspiracy, bilingual people are likely to be more useful and there's no shortage of them.

I suppose that in Vernon, as in Switzerland, one will need to speak many languages.

Last edited by dbd33; May 20th 2014 at 3:15 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
There must, by now, be a huge population of completely bilingual Canadians. I don't think my children would self-identify as either anglo or franco; they grew up in Canada so they speak both languages. Simple as that. That was true of their contemporaries at high school and of many of them at university.

It seems to me that people who are not bilingual are rightly disadvantaged in governmental positions. In non-government jobs it's less clear cut but, if the staff and customers of a business are likely to speak either language, as is the case in Ottawa, I'd hire people who spoke both languages ahead of people who only spoke one. I can't see that there need be a conspiracy, bilingual people are likely to be more useful and there's no shortage of them.

I suppose that in Vernon, as in Switzerland, one will need to speak many languages.

You may be surprised at how many Canadians do not speak French , especially around Ottawa. The language problem is a recent thing and not a historical matter, when I arrived 4 years ago it was easy to speak English at work but in the last 2 years it has changed considerably.

What is it that so many people have against Vernon ?
Old May 20th 2014, 3:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

We'll this has become a heated thread!

So to explain for the slightly dim
Let the insults begin.

Any company or government office you call or visit will first great you in French and English second, simply because they do not want to be labelled Anti Franco and run the risk of trouble.
That is complete crap.

Ottawa is in Ontario, or it was the last time I looked and Ontario is not a French province. I have no problem with francophones or the language. The post I made was simply my opinion and mine alone!
Ontario has a very large franco population, particularly near Ottawa.

I suggest the critics on this thread apply for management jobs and then post their experiences.

And if Canada is primarily an English speaking country then why does Stephen Harper speak French first? Easy answer..... Doesn't want the backlash from the French speaking population.
He does not speak French first. He switches between the two because he is the Prime Minister of a bilingual country. My missus would prefer it if he stuck to English. She would ban me from speaking in French if my accent was that vile.

You can keep the insults, sarcasm coming as it means nothing except the only way you have to answer a thread like this to be rude! To be honest it has made me smile to read the small minded comments from some of you on here...... Maybe you are Trolls! and I mean fat, slightly strange beings... Not internet trouble makers!

Again just my opinion

PS.. I sat an English exam when I applied for PR status.. Hmmm why not French??
Because both languages have equal status when it comes to Federal stuff. You can pick which one you want to use. I sat my citizenship test in QC, in English.

( sitting waiting for the comments)

Enjoy your day people
Try doing a bit more research before you move provinces, or countries. You strike me as the kind of person that moves to Spain and then moans about not being able to find Watney's Red Barrel or the Daily Express.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvy
Try doing a bit more research before you move provinces, or countries. You strike me as the kind of person that moves to Spain and then moans about not being able to find Watney's Red Barrel or the Daily Express.

Amazing! Red is such a nice colour ( Color). I've done my research thank you and I have come to my own conclusions

And so your saying that if a person attempts to speak French as a second language, they shouldn't as they sound vile?!? Wow that's a strong statement and not at all small minded .... Again I'm sitting here smiling at your quote Souvy

As I said before, be polite as this is not the place for personal insults!

Watneys eh! Takes you back don't you think?

Last edited by Aqua; May 20th 2014 at 3:32 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing! Red is such a nice colour ( Color). I've done my research thank you and I have come to my own conclusions

Watneys eh! Takes you back don't you think?
You were the one starting the fight, poppet.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

You were the one starting the fight, poppet.
That's better Souvy.... So I'm Poppet eh?
Old May 20th 2014, 3:37 pm
Slob

That's better Souvy.... So I'm Poppet eh?
I was not suggesting anything nice. It was sarcasm.

Ottawa will be a poorer place after you leave. That was also sarcasm.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

I was not suggesting anything nice. It was sarcasm.

Ottawa will be a poorer place after you leave. That was also sarcasm.
Oh come on! Your covering your love with sarcasm, we can all see that dont be shy!
Old May 20th 2014, 4:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You may be surprised at how many Canadians do not speak French , especially around Ottawa. The language problem is a recent thing and not a historical matter, when I arrived 4 years ago it was easy to speak English at work but in the last 2 years it has changed considerably.

What is it that so many people have against Vernon ?
I don't have anything against Vernon but it's not "cosmopolitan". Ottawa's not really cosmopolitan either but obviously is more so.

When I worked in Ottawa the politics of language in the workplace were a big deal, many uni-lingual anglos complained that they were held back by their disability. I don't recall which year I spent there, 1984 at a guess, so I'm surprised that the issue went away and has now come back.
Old May 20th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I didn't come over as too sarcastic in my previous contributions to this thread.

I'm an Anglo. *Very* Anglo; I have the kind of accent lots of people like to mock, even after many years out of the UK I'm also very lucky (with a bit of hard work thrown in) to be bilingual.

I'm sorry the OPs have had a bad experience in Ottawa, re language. I do take issue with the "only Francophones will get the bilingual jobs" attitude. I'm basically unemployed at the moment, but I've had 3 job offers in the last 2 months from Ottawa, and no one could have cared less about which side of the fence I'm classified as. (Unfortunately, personal circumstances prevent me from upping sticks and moving there right now).

I also have several unilingual (English) friends in both Ottawa, & Qc, the Canadian bastion of French language protection, and can report that they manage to work, live and play successfully.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.