Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally leaving Ottawa

Finally leaving Ottawa

Old May 16th 2014, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Finally leaving Ottawa

Well I'm finally leaving Ottawa after 4 years, I was laid off and then have found it impossible to find work as the québécois come over and work for less money... Also the language police here require you to speak French if in a management position.

It has become that bad that if you call or go for an interview they speak French first for fear of being in trouble!!

I'm sure other parts of Canada are not the same. So I'm relocating to Vernon in 6 weeks to start a new business.

If there is any one in Vernon then send me a message and maybe meet up

Roger

Last edited by Aqua; May 16th 2014 at 12:51 am.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Re: Finally leaving Ottawa

Also can any one recommend an insurance broker and realtor??
Old May 16th 2014, 1:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

You will have a much better time in Vernon! I am enjoying the evening sun as I sit writing this overlooking Kalamalka Lake. English speaking all the way! Insurance companies are much of a muchness, realtors similar! It depends on what you are after, we know a few good ones PM me if you like. What business are you setting up?
Old May 17th 2014, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Aqua
Well I'm finally leaving Ottawa after 4 years, I was laid off and then have found it impossible to find work as the québécois come over and work for less money... Also the language police here require you to speak French if in a management position.

It has become that bad that if you call or go for an interview they speak French first for fear of being in trouble!!

I'm sure other parts of Canada are not the same. So I'm relocating to Vernon in 6 weeks to start a new business.

If there is any one in Vernon then send me a message and maybe meet up

Roger
Seems you are better off in a place where everyone looks like you and thinks like you. Hopefully you wont find anyone 'different' there.
Old May 17th 2014, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Really? Is that the only thing you have to say?
Old May 17th 2014, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure you understand the Ottawa situation, if you do not speak French fluently then you are less likely to get a position. The language police in Ottawa require all companies to hire French speakers and so we have a high percentage of people from Quebec coming over.

It's not about liking or not liking change, it's about opportunity and there is a distinct lack of that here in Ottawa....... I do speak French but not fluently and so I am always second to a French Quebec local
Old May 17th 2014, 4:24 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

'All companies' is a bit broad, what industry are you talking about?
Old May 17th 2014, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Yep it was a broad comment, I'm in construction as a project manager.

So let's say 98%, take a look around and you will see they ask for Bi lingual skills. If you had a choice of some one who could speak French ok and a native French speaker, which one would you choose?

Please note that this thread is not about argueing but about opinions, if you have something to say keep it pleasant.
Old May 17th 2014, 6:03 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I thought it was mainly trying to get work in any level of government in Ottawa that was the issue. I grew in Ottawa. I never managed to become fully bilingual. I often had this problem when looking for work there. Don't forget that Ottawa itself has a large population of 'franco-ontariens' in the east end who speak French as well.

I remember a case where a road construction project in Aylmer, Qc (just across the river) was dismantled by local authorities because too many ontarians (presumably anglophone) were employed in it's construction!

Is French a must if you want to work in the hi-tech field?

Last edited by jandro; May 17th 2014 at 6:06 pm.
Old May 17th 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure about Hi-tech, but the job market is definitely becoming restricted due to the language requirements.

In my opinion, and it is my opinion, there seems to be a fear of being labelled anti Franco here and so the companies are doing all they can to satisfy.

An example of this on another end of the scale would be, Stephen Harper will always speak French first and English second..... And before some one jumps at this observation please remember be polite and we are all entitled to an opinion
Old May 17th 2014, 6:35 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnehsmith
Seems you are better off in a place where everyone looks like you and thinks like you. Hopefully you wont find anyone 'different' there.
Oi.. Don't knock it unless you have lived here! You can speak any language you like here with no fear of reprisals. Vernon contrary it seems to popular belief is very cosmopolitan - it isn't redneck rural Canada contrary to Oink's previous suggestions!
Old May 17th 2014, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Oink! Lol
Old May 18th 2014, 1:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've never been to Vernon and I suppose it's possibly quite nice. But cosmopolitan it aint. 99.8% of the population speak English as their mother tongue and the population is less than 40,000. That suggests that 800 people living in Vernon know what "abroad" is:

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...CSD&GC=5937014
Old May 19th 2014, 12:55 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Aqua
Yep it was a broad comment, I'm in construction as a project manager.

So let's say 98%, take a look around and you will see they ask for Bi lingual skills. If you had a choice of some one who could speak French ok and a native French speaker, which one would you choose?

Please note that this thread is not about argueing but about opinions, if you have something to say keep it pleasant.
Thanks for clarifying your industry. I asked as people reading this thread may not get it.

I am in high tech/defense in the private sector and have not come across your experience within Ottawa. I also include the experience being interviewed and offered a job in Quebec based company without speaking any french.

Hope your move goes well.

Cheers

JB0591
Old May 19th 2014, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Cheers JB0591

Maybe your in a unique and under qualified industry as regards to candidates but with construction it's always the same I'm sorry to say. I speak English, German, Dutch and Chinese but only French on a bardic level , not technical.

I'm looking forward to the move as I've heard so many good things about the Okanagen area, to be honest this also a lifestyle move. After years of working over seas and away from family it will be nice to get hone at night rather than 6-8 weeks in China

Have a great Victoria Day week end every one and hopefully let's hear some more experiences from others on this thread

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.