Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fergus, Ontario

Fergus, Ontario

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fergus, Ontario

Originally Posted by nivlad
It can got badly cut off in the winter but I still like it. Where is Stockport are you, I lived in Hazel Grove and Marple for a good few years. I still support Stockport County all be it in spirit (and the internet)
I'm originally from Bredbury, but live in Edgeley now, with several places in between (still in the area though - Davenport, Hyde, Urmston, Heaton Chapel...). We're just round the corner from Edgeley Park strangely enough.
Not a County fan though - I'm a Red (although now going watching FCUM instead of Big United at the Glazerdome) but it was good to see your lot finally got a good win under their belts yesterday.

Whereabouts are you living in Canada? Are you in Fergus?
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:42 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
I'm originally from Bredbury, but live in Edgeley now, with several places in between (still in the area though - Davenport, Hyde, Urmston, Heaton Chapel...). We're just round the corner from Edgeley Park strangely enough.
Not a County fan though - I'm a Red (although now going watching FCUM instead of Big United at the Glazerdome) but it was good to see your lot finally got a good win under their belts yesterday.

Whereabouts are you living in Canada? Are you in Fergus?
Near, we are in Guelph. And yes, thank god we actually won a game!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Near, we are in Guelph. And yes, thank god we actually won a game!
Guelph is on our list as well as Fergus. My partner's sister and her British husband live there with their kids. What's with the lack of road signs though?!? If you don't know your way around you're stuffed! It took an hour of driving round in circles and wrong directions last Tuesday before we finally managed to escape back to Kitchener!!

Good to know there are a few "locals" about though.
I went to watch the England v Austria match a couple of weeks ago in the Whale and Ale in Kitchener. I think apart from one other bloke, the aforementioned cockney brother-in-law and me were the only English people in there (at least judging from a vocal standpoint anyway).
Not that that's a bad thing, by the way, in case anybody jumps on that statement as being somehow jingoistic...
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:30 pm
OMG - I'm back

I know the Whale and Ale, pub, used to pass it on the way to Guelph from Waterloo (I drink in the Duke of Wellington, in Waterloo). It is funny you said about escaping back into Kitchener, usually people want to escape Kitchener.

Guelph is a nice town but there are some areas you want to avoid, like any city. We live in the westend and it is a great
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:42 pm
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough

Any of you lot live there?

Was there earlier this week on our "where to live" tour and it looked rather nice.

Any opinions?
I think of it as a typical small Ontario farm town. Bigger than some smaller than others. The only claim to fame I know of for it is in a church. Apparently a guy who was in love with Florence Nightingale became a minister and moved to Fergus when she chose her 'calling' over him. The church he served in has a stain glassed window depicting her with her lamp.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:57 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

I know the Whale and Ale, pub, used to pass it on the way to Guelph from Waterloo (I drink in the Duke of Wellington, in Waterloo). It is funny you said about escaping back into Kitchener, usually people want to escape Kitchener.

Guelph is a nice town but there are some areas you want to avoid, like any city. We live in the westend and it is a great

That area can't be that bad, if you have to go all the way from Guelph via HWY 7, to go drink there?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

GlosMaple is an unknown quantity at this point

It can got badly cut off in the winter but I still like it. Where is Stockport are you, I lived in Hazel Grove and Marple for a good few years. I still support Stockport County all be it in spirit (and the internet)
Ah well someone has too............I for my sins support Hereford United like you mostly in spirit and on internet. Had some trip (s) to Edgeley Park in the past!! They still there ?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:02 am
OMG - I'm back

Originally Posted by finallygotout
That area can't be that bad, if you have to go all the way from Guelph via HWY 7, to go drink there?
Waterloo is a very different place to Kitchener and we were living in Waterloo at the time

Last edited by nivlad; Oct 25th 2005 at 12:06 am.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:06 am
OMG - I'm back

Originally Posted by GlosMaple
Ah well someone has too............I for my sins support Hereford United like you mostly in spirit and on internet. Had some trip (s) to Edgeley Park in the past!! They still there ?
Yep still there. If we don't pull our finger out we will be playing you next season. If the truth be known Stockport should have been a non-league side back in the 70s and 80s (thank god for the re-election system). I had a friend whos dad played for Hereford in the early 80s - can't remember his name. Where in GTA are you GlosMaple?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:21 am
Just Joined

GlosMaple is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep still there. If we don't pull our finger out we will be playing you next season. If the truth be known Stockport should have been a non-league side back in the 70s and 80s (thank god for the re-election system). I had a friend whos dad played for Hereford in the early 80s - can't remember his name. Where in GTA are you GlosMaple?
Hope they do pull their finger out, don't like seeing ex-league clubs in the conference for money teams like Rushden. I'm in Etobicoke........always travelling so need to be close to airport!!
Be interested to hear who the player was!! Have been a fan of Hereford and the lower leagues in general and now non-leagues since the 70's.
Cheers have a good one
GM
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ha ha! You're half right about Kitchener! My in-laws live there and we were staying with them - hence we were heading back there. I walked to downtown from the junction of Ottawa and River (Stanley Park) the other day and it passed through some nice looking neighbourhoods. They seem to be trying fairly hard to spruce up downtown as well. Mind you - there were still a few mullets knocking about. Plus I was getting funny looks from the locals - probably because I was walking as opposed to driving somewhere!

Waterloo was nice as well - that's also on our list, although looking a little pricey at the moment.

Stockport should have been a non-league side back in the 70s and 80s
Oh yes - I remember when they were struggling in the old 4th Division - it was quite heartening to see them reach the dizzy heights of the Nationwide and even come close to promotion into the Premiership in the 90s.
It gave me even more pleasure when they beat City, who were on their way down at the time, was it 3-1? 4-1? Heh heh heh!!

Like I said earlier, I'm not going to Old Trafford while the gnome's there so have been watching FC United, currently topping the North West Counties League Division 2 (and breaking attendance records for that level of football!). At the rate things are going, we'll be playing County in a couple of seasons unless they get their act together...
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:18 am
Banned

bourassa is on a distinguished road

Yeah - we went to Elora Gorge last time we were in Ontario - my partner's from K-W so she used to go swimming there in the quarry. We saw more horses and buggies out this time, but then again, we did drive to Kincardine via Listowel and the area around there has dozens of Mennonite farms.

My other half has emailed a realtor in the area asking about renting in Fergus while we decide whether we want to live there or not.

How long does it take to drive to Guelph from there - any ideas? We "sauntered" back, so have no real idea of how long a commute would take. How snowed in does it get in winter? Any more input from anybody?
Did all this during the summer. Kincardine is a very small old town, with a lighthouse.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:23 pm
OMG - I'm back

Originally Posted by bourassa
Did all this during the summer. Kincardine is a very small old town, with a lighthouse.
where abouts in K-W are you? Have you been there long
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:18 pm
Banned

bourassa is on a distinguished road

where abouts in K-W are you? Have you been there long
Am just off the hwy 7 area, that leads into Ottawa. Not been here that long, compared to other on this board. How about yourself?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:12 pm
OMG - I'm back

Originally Posted by bourassa
Am just off the hwy 7 area, that leads into Ottawa. Not been here that long, compared to other on this board. How about yourself?
I am in Guelph, working at the university

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.