Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
Ah-ha - thanks for that!

Quick mental maths: for me with no degree or job offer, 62. (get that job offer and home & dry as that's 10 points?)
My other half - once he finishes his OU degree and assuming that the ECA says that it's equivalent to a 3 year course - and without a job offer: 72.

So I checked on the Come To Canada tool for my OH and even with no job offer, computer says Yes.

I seem to remember once upon a time that it was possible for the partner of the principle applicant to come over and then get a job once in the country. Is that still the case? Could my OH go through EE for PR, get the ITA and I come over as his partner, then get a job?
Or has this changed?
Ah this is more promising! If by partner you mean spouse or common-law spouse (that you've lived together for a year or more), then he can apply for PR, and you would also get PR as his dependent. So you could then do whatever you like, including getting a job.

What does he score on the CRS?
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah this is more promising! If by partner you mean spouse or common-law spouse (that you've lived together for a year or more), then he can apply for PR, and you would also get PR as his dependent. So you could then do whatever you like, including getting a job.

What does he score on the CRS?
Ahh excellent... I've just run through the CRS scores - without a job offer he comes in at 407... Which is still under the latest ITA scores although if they keep going down, it's all gravy...
My lack of a degree is proving to be the sticking point...

So all of this leads me back to the thought that it's get a job - if I get one first, its TWP then apply for PR with 6 months experience in-country under my belt.

If it's Chris, then go straight through the EE pool to go for PR.

Does that sound about right?

(And thanks, again )
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 5:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

At 407, I would personally apply now with him as the principal applicant. You can still job hunt in the meantime, but best to apply asap in case the points keep dropping. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised and well on the way to PR by the end of the year.....or even PR's already!

Good luck!
Old Apr 24th 2017, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
At 407, I would personally apply now with him as the principal applicant. You can still job hunt in the meantime, but best to apply asap in case the points keep dropping. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised and well on the way to PR by the end of the year.....or even PR's already!

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! We're going IELTS on 3rd June & Chris should get his degree results end June/early July - can/should we apply before he actually has these in his hands?

If the points keep dropping, is that a problem for us at 407, or only in the sense that more people will get ITAs?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:33 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

or job offer, 62. (get that job offer and home & dry as that's 10 points?)
An OU honours degree is an equivalent to a 4-year Canadian degree. I know because I have one and just had it ECA approved by WES this month.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
An OU honours degree is an equivalent to a 4-year Canadian degree. I know because I have one and just had it ECA approved by WES this month.
Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
It's a pretty straightforward process as well. I just had to post photocopies of the certificates to Toronto and then emailed the OU who sent the transcripts to Canada free of charge.

Make sure he is doing one of the named degrees with honours though. If he is doing one of those open programs where you can choose any modules you like and just need to make up 300 credits then those probably only are equivalent to a 3 year Canadian qualification. As I understand it, those are essentially the same as graduating from a UK university without submitting a 3rd year dissertation.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Apr 27th 2017 at 9:46 am.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

It's a pretty straightforward process as well. I just had to post photocopies of the certificates to Toronto and then emailed the OU who sent the transcripts to Canada free of charge.

Make sure he is doing one of the named degrees with honours though. If he is doing one of those open programs where you can choose any modules you like and just need to make up 300 credits then those probably only are equivalent to a 3 year Canadian qualification. As I understand it, those are essentially the same as graduating from a UK university without submitting a 3rd year dissertation.
Thanks - we'll check it out. He's doing a 4-year Psychology degree - BSC Hons when he finishes....
Old Apr 28th 2017, 10:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

Thanks - we'll check it out. He's doing a 4-year Psychology degree - BSC Hons when he finishes....
Then that should be considered a 4 year degree at ECA.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Then that should be considered a 4 year degree at ECA.
Woohoo!
Thank you
Old Jun 19th 2017, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

I meant to ask before - how long did this take?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 4:34 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I meant to ask before - how long did this take?
How long did what take?

If you're asking about WES then their process took roughly 2 months IIRC. I wouldn't expect them to conform to their own estimated timescales.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya

I've got another couple of questions!

My other half has now finished his degree and got his result (a statement through the OU system). Is this what's required or is it the actual certificate (which could be with us anywhere from 8-12 weeks from this point)?

Also, where did you email it to? Was it the Uni of Toronto or another body who can assess the qualification as being equivalent?

Was there a pro-forma to ask the OU to send whatever they needed to send that we could beg/borrow?

Thank you
Old Jul 21st 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

My other half has now finished his degree and got his result (a statement through the OU system). Is this what's required or is it the actual certificate (which could be with us anywhere from 8-12 weeks from this point)?

Also, where did you email it to? Was it the Uni of Toronto or another body who can assess the qualification as being equivalent?

Thank you
Just twigged - WES is the company not an acronym for an educational assessment...
D'oh.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Hiya

I've got another couple of questions!

Was there a pro-forma to ask the OU to send whatever they needed to send that we could beg/borrow?

Thank you
Congratulations.

What you will need is an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment). It's a process whereby a recognised body go over the degree and equate it to a Canadian qualification. Assuming you pass ECA (no reason why you shouldn't as long as the degree is legit) then as far as the CIC are concerned you're as good as a Canadian graduate.

I did mine through WES who are the most popular option because they're the cheapest and tend to be a bit more generous than some of the others when it comes to certifying extra qualifications that you might have on top of the degree (e.g. HND's, HNC's, Foundation Degrees, CertHE's, PGCerts etc).

The process is outlined here: Apply now for a WES credential evaluation

Essentially your partner will register online and pay the fee and then send photocopies of his degree certificate to WES. Unfortunately the statement is no use when it comes to this. You can't kick this process off until the degree has been formally conferred and sent to him in the post.

You then need to request a certified transcript which will be sent to WES directly from the OU. They have a department who deal with this and the request from you goes to [email protected]. They'll just need your WES reference and the address, not much else from you. The OU handle these requests all the time so they'll know exactly what to do. WES won't accept a transcript copy from you.

Once all that's in you just wait a month or two to be assessed and certified by WES and then that's it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.