Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family Friendly areas of the HRM

Family Friendly areas of the HRM

Old Apr 16th 2018, 8:49 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Friendly areas of the HRM

Originally Posted by Goody86
This is quite worrying? Is this NS specific or throughout the country?
I've heard people from several areas in NS mention it. Also people who tried PEI then moved cited it as the main reason they moved away.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Yarmouth for nearly three years. We made friends with a variety of people. Probably mainly "come from aways" but we had some local friends too.
We then moved to just north of Halifax for about six months and mainly hung out with the expat community.

In July 2014 we moved to Ontario. We moved around several times until we eventually came to Hamilton.
I can't say enough positive things about Hamilton. We've been here for nearly a year and I have found home. I just love it here. Downtown is a little iffy but give it 5/10 years and you won't recognize the place. I live on the mountain and I am making friends with Brits and Canadians and anybody else who wants to be friends and I always have somebody I can speak to now and go for coffee with when I want to!!

I'm alive again!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:40 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill

I'm alive again!!!!
Love this!!!
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Love this!!!
Of course it would be nice to have coffee with you occasionally!
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it would be nice to have coffee with you occasionally!
Wouldn't it but so happy you are happy. Given how hard this emigration lark can be this makes up for lack of coffee.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Wouldn't it but so happy you are happy. Given how hard this emigration lark can be this makes up for lack of coffee.
I agree. NS was home immediately. It’s been much harder to settle here. But I think at last it has happened.

Still got to meet Siouxie who is practically a neighbor though! Lol
Old Apr 17th 2018, 1:45 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I can't say enough positive things about Hamilton.
Ah yes, another of those places not liked by folk who don't know it.

It's amazing how people who actually experience living in these places like them contrary to what others say about them.
Oh...wait...no it's not.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah yes, another of those places not liked by folk who don't know it.

It's amazing how people who actually experience living in these places like them contrary to what others say about them.
Oh...wait...no it's not.
You’re right. Before we moved to Hamilton I also could not see the appeal.
As you approach you see all these “nasty” commercial buildings. But there is so much more once you see beyond.
There’s a genuine warmth to Hamilton. It’s so eclectic. Old and new are mixed in to one and there genuinely is something for everyone!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You’re right. Before we moved to Hamilton I also could not see the appeal.
As you approach you see all these “nasty” commercial buildings. But there is so much more once you see beyond.
There’s a genuine warmth to Hamilton. It’s so eclectic. Old and new are mixed in to one and there genuinely is something for everyone!
My neighbour in Toronto was a reverse gentrifier from Hamilton. He summed up why it's better as follows, "Toronto's crawling with beggars, everywhere they ask you for money. You don't get that in Hamilton, ask someone in Hamilton for money and they'll punch you in the face".
Old Apr 17th 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
My neighbour in Toronto was a reverse gentrifier from Hamilton. He summed up why it's better as follows, "Toronto's crawling with beggars, everywhere they ask you for money. You don't get that in Hamilton, ask someone in Hamilton for money and they'll punch you in the face".
Haha on some streets that might happen. Lol. But like any city there’s good and bad. You don’t have to go to the bad parts of town if you don’t want to!