Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Extended vehicle warranty; is it worth it?

Extended vehicle warranty; is it worth it?

Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extended vehicle warranty; is it worth it?

Originally Posted by sidjoloo
A quick look online and I found another one for $2k - no deductible.
remember the salesman is making commission on selling you the warranty. The reason the dealer one is higher is because it will often tie you to the dealers garage which has much higher costs. As others have said you often get better work done and cheaper at a local garage.

Whether an extended warranty is right for you or not is really down to your personnel circumstances. Things to think about.

a)If the car gives out would you be seriously stuck i.e. couldn't get to work and need to get sorted ASAP?
b) Would you be in finical hardships if you were forced to buy a new car and get only scrap value on the ranger?

Either way if you can get one elsewhere for cheeper why pay the dealers overpriced version?

Finally, hold out till the end of the month, if you can, dealerships often have quotas on car sales they have to make in a month and the last day of the month is when it is do or die at that time they may be so desperate to make their quota (it unlocks commission from car manufacturer and increases commissions % for the next month) you may be able to get them to throw in warranty for free or discounted.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The Ford dealer I use has a "Quick Lane" option as well as the regular, make an appointment, service. I've taken the Mustang to the Quick Lane for the last 90,000 miles, nearly 3 years. As best I can tell, the woman there knows her stuff and has access to all the pertinent information. I'm always offered the choice of oem or after market parts. I don't think I could get better service or a better price by using a local garage, the only complaint I have is that they don't deal with recalls, but that would be true of an independent garage.

Mind, my perception is corrupted by previously having had a VW, every service on a VW is $500+ so, at Ford, I always ask for oem parts and replace everything that's slightly worn, and I still leave smiling.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Defo no extended warranty, there are so many get out clauses for them, theyโ€™ll never pay out anything, ie. I have added an aftermarket air intake in mine, a minor alteration but would invalidate an extended warranty.
On breakdown companies, I was with CAA but changed to crappy tyre breakdown because for $40 cheaper a year, I get towed for free,almost twice the mileage of CAA and get more call-outs.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
and get more call-outs.
I'd plump for that if I had a Kia.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Not imho. Modern cars are designed to work and require little servicing. A few years ago I took my big 4 year old SUV in to a dealer for a quick oil change. To my surprise they tried to ' roll me' for $2500 of maintenance. I refused watched while the car was put back together, drove off and 8 years later have never had to complete any of the work they alleged needing doing? Quite simply it was a scam.

Similarly, I have owned cars that apparently grow their own brake shoe tread if you are to believe the measurements provided by different dealers. As I often explain, if my car was a Formula 1 vehicle or NASCAR type thenI would expect maintenance and exchange of parts at the slightest sign of wear but its not so does not require new this and that every time something is used.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd plump for that if I had a Kia.

Anecdotal but we've had a 2009 Kia Sedona for the last 8 years and never had any major problems. We've put 125,000 miles on it. I think the most complicated recall repair was for a faulty break switch. I just checked online reviews for this model and it gets 4/5 at Edmunds and 7.9/10 at KBB.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Anecdotal but we've had a 2009 Kia Sedona for the last 8 years and never had any major problems. We've put 125,000 miles on it. I think the most complicated recall repair was for a faulty break switch. I just checked online reviews for this model and it gets 4/5 at Edmunds and 7.9/10 at KBB.
I'd rather take the bus.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The Ford dealer I use has a "Quick Lane" option as well as the regular, make an appointment, service. I've taken the Mustang to the Quick Lane for the last 90,000 miles, nearly 3 years. As best I can tell, the woman there knows her stuff and has access to all the pertinent information. I'm always offered the choice of oem or after market parts. I don't think I could get better service or a better price by using a local garage, the only complaint I have is that they don't deal with recalls, but that would be true of an independent garage.

Mind, my perception is corrupted by previously having had a VW, every service on a VW is $500+ so, at Ford, I always ask for oem parts and replace everything that's slightly worn, and I still leave smiling.
Which one do you use? I like the sound of the quick lane
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say no to the warranty.

The quick lane at OH place of work is staffed by apprentice mechanics that have very little supervision. OH has seen the results of some of the handiwork after the customer has taken their car to the quick lane and then decided to trade in. OH preps ALL of the used vehicles. Not saying all quick lanes are created equal and definitely not saying that all the apprentices at OH's place are numbskulls.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Which one do you use? I like the sound of the quick lane
Ford Quick Lane | Ford Service Center in Guelph | Ford Service Wayne Pitman Ford

I bought the last set of tyres from them too, the price was the same as Costco and the car was already there with the wheels off.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'd say no to the warranty.

The quick lane at OH place of work is staffed by apprentice mechanics that have very little supervision. OH has seen the results of some of the handiwork after the customer has taken their car to the quick lane and then decided to trade in. OH preps ALL of the used vehicles. Not saying all quick lanes are created equal and definitely not saying that all the apprentices at OH's place are numbskulls.
This Quick Lane certainly has a numbskull. The one who test drove the car before torqueing the wheels. Inevitably, one fell off. The garage then conducted extensive repairs and, as a result, I have one shiny new wheel and three rather battered ones. I considered replacing the tired three but at $575+tax each just for the rims, the new one can wear itself to match the others.

I doubt I'd take the Healey there even if I thought they had BSW spanners.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Ford Quick Lane | Ford Service Center in Guelph | Ford Service Wayne Pitman Ford

I bought the last set of tyres from them too, the price was the same as Costco and the car was already there with the wheels off.
Thanks. I went to the one in Fergus last time, they did a decent Job but it's good to have options.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Thanks. I went to the one in Fergus last time, they did a decent Job but it's good to have options.
The Ranger goes to Fergus and that's also worked well. I don't think there's anything to choose between the dealerships, it's just geography and convenience that has the vehicles going to different shops. I suppose the ideal would be to have a travelling mechanic who could visit and deal with the tractors too.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:51 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The Ranger goes to Fergus and that's also worked well. I don't think there's anything to choose between the dealerships, it's just geography and convenience that has the vehicles going to different shops. I suppose the ideal would be to have a travelling mechanic who could visit and deal with the tractors too.
Maybe this would be our business plan when we head east, still toying with ideas, makes sense to be vehicle based ๐Ÿ˜‰
Old Nov 17th 2017, 2:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Maybe this would be our business plan when we head east, still toying with ideas, makes sense to be vehicle based ๐Ÿ˜‰
There are mobile farm equipment mechanics but the cost is prohibitive if you just have one small tractor. I suppose we have an average number of vehicles; 2 cars, 1 truck, 1 tractor, 1 lawn tractor. if someone could come and do an annual service for all of them at once there might be a deal to be had to benefit both parties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.