British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Exchanging driving licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exchanging-driving-licence-903245/)

jishere Sep 12th 2017 4:08 pm

Exchanging driving licence

I was in BC earlier this year for a vacation and managed to get a speeding ticket. i gave the cop my uk licence for the ticket and as far as i'm aware there isn't an exchange agreement in place with the uk, so it won't affect my clean uk licence.

Im planning to move to Ontario within the next couple of years for work but if i exchange my licence in Ontario will my BC speeding ticket show up? Or would it be better just to take the test in that province and get a clean licence?

Vulcanoid Sep 12th 2017 11:43 pm

Re: Exchanging driving licence

Originally Posted by jishere (Post 12336706)
I was in BC earlier this year for a vacation and managed to get a speeding ticket. i gave the cop my uk licence for the ticket and as far as i'm aware there isn't an exchange agreement in place with the uk, so it won't affect my clean uk licence.

Im planning to move to Ontario within the next couple of years for work but if i exchange my licence in Ontario will my BC speeding ticket show up? Or would it be better just to take the test in that province and get a clean licence?

Whether your ticket will show up is irrelevant. You must exchange your licence if you move to Ontario, and will not be eligible to start from scratch.

This is basically to avoid people fraudulently spreading tickets/driving prohibitions across licences.

Aviator Sep 13th 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jishere (Post 12336706)

Is your UK license your only license?

When you take out insurance, one of the questions is if you have had any traffic violations in the last 5 years. Lie and the insurance is invalid, will they find out? Depends how serious any incident is and how big the claim may be. Is it worth the risk?

Taking out a license, one of the questions is whether you have held a drivers license in any other jurisdiction. Not telling the truth could be a really bad idea.

Not relevant to a UK license, but worth a read.
Reciprocal Agreements: Between Canadian Provinces/Territories and U.S. States | Fight Your Tickets

MatteoHV Sep 14th 2017 5:00 am

Well is not true.
When you exchange your driving licence, there is an agreement with UK for the driver license. You show it within 3 months (is mandatory if you are for more than 6 months) and they will exchange it for a small fee and it takes up to 15 days. They check if your card is valid etc. your name is in the police records, so it may be that once you change your driving license your name may pop up. and the insurance look for this.