British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Exchange Rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exchange-rate-905304/)

Davita Feb 1st 2018 11:39 am

Re: Exchange Rate

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12432322)
It's working for me. My January pay was $200 more than it was in December.

Incidentally, I am going to Scotia on Tuesday to buy RRSP. I will be using money I have in my Barclays account in the UK. Usually I get Barclays to do a transfer. It's a hassle and cost me well over $100 in fees last year.

My banking officer at Scotia has told me I can write a Barclays cheque to myself and he will clear the funds immediately for a nominal fee and using the bank's bulk exchange rate.

I didn't know you could do that.

I'm repeating info but if I wanted to transfer/exchange from any UK account to any Canadian account by TransferWise this below is guaranteed for the next 24 hours...also it's free to join TransferWise.

GBP1,000 will net CDN$1,742.03 in 9 hours.

This comprises a rate of GBP1=CDN$1.75128 with a GBP5.28 fee.

Ask your bank if they can beat that....I doubt it!

Souvy Feb 1st 2018 11:43 am

Originally Posted by geotav (Post 12432324)
Does the value of currency even matter? If the £ is weak then prices just rise in the UK so that it consistent with other countries. Products aren't priced the same in every country. It's all relative. No need to worry about exchange rates unless if that's how you make a living.

It matters an awful lot to me. My salary is fixed in pounds and transferred to me here.

My salary chart post-Brexit Referendum is not pretty to look at.

Davita Feb 1st 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by geotav (Post 12432324)
Does the value of currency even matter? If the £ is weak then prices just rise in the UK so that it consistent with other countries. Products aren't priced the same in every country. It's all relative. No need to worry about exchange rates unless if that's how you make a living.

You probably don't remember, or too young, but Bretton Woods established the relationship between major currencies after WW2.
In 1971 this was cancelled by USA freely-floating the dollar which became the 'reserve currency' and, subsequently, all other currencies had to follow this free-float.
There were many UK seniors that were living abroad and their pensions were 'wiped-out' by the fluctuation of earning in one currency but spending in another. There were others that got lucky.

The same principle applies today unless wisely hedging currency bets...so it does matter!

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2018 12:16 pm

Somebody should develop an app and software that goes something like this

You live in Canada but get paid in pounds. Now rather than just the simple way of the employer probably paying your salary into an account that you hold in Canada set up to receive this payment converted to Canadian dollars by whatever the exchange rate is minus any transaction fees

This happens

The employer pays your salary into a super dooper computer system that looks at all exchange rates of all currencies against each other on the day you are paid. It computes that by exchanging pounds into the Argentina peso which is then exchanged into the Costa Rican colon which is then exchanged into the Danish Krone etc etc etc it eventually gets converted to Canadian dollars more than the amount you would get done the traditional way.

Davita Feb 1st 2018 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12432348)
Somebody should develop an app and software that goes something like this

You live in Canada but get paid in pounds. Now rather than just the simple way of the employer probably paying your salary into an account that you hold in Canada set up to receive this payment converted to Canadian dollars by whatever the exchange rate is minus any transaction fees

This happens

The employer pays your salary into a super dooper computer system that looks at all exchange rates of all currencies against each other on the day you are paid. It computes that by exchanging pounds into the Argentina peso which is then exchanged into the Costa Rican colon which is then exchanged into the Danish Krone etc etc etc it eventually gets converted to Canadian dollars more than the amount you would get done the traditional way.

Already....it's called TransferWise!

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2018 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 12432362)
Already....it's called TransferWise!

Ah but are you !00% they do as I suggested or you just take their word for it?
Have you done this with them and then done the calculations yourself to see if the figures are correct?

Davita Feb 1st 2018 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12432366)
Ah but are you !00% they do as I suggested or you just take their word for it?
Have you done this with them and then done the calculations yourself to see if the figures are correct?

I take their word as I don't have the time to trivialize over it....let me know when you've done the analysis.

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 12432334)
GBP1,000 will net CDN$1,742.03 in 9 hours.

This comprises a rate of GBP1=CDN$1.75128 with a GBP5.28 fee.

Ask your bank if they can beat that....I doubt it!

My calculations took 8 hours 58 minutes and I ended up with $1,743.08 so yeah I guess you got ripped off by them.

BristolUK Feb 1st 2018 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12432339)
It matters an awful lot to me. My salary is fixed in pounds and transferred to me here.

My salary chart post-Brexit Referendum is not pretty to look at.

:nod:
When I first drew my civil service pension it was frozen for 5 years, then at the five year point I got the uprated amount I'd have been getting had it been uprated annually - but no back pay.

It was a big increase. But the exchange rate had fallen so much, all it did was pay me the same in $$ that it did originally.

glendem4 Feb 1st 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12432439)
My calculations took 8 hours 58 minutes and I ended up with $1,743.08 so yeah I guess you got ripped off by them.

I think our friend in Vancouver is taking the mickey !!!:goodpost:

Davita Feb 1st 2018 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12432498)
I think our friend in Vancouver is taking the mickey !!!:goodpost:

According to my wife's Facetime friend the weather from Vancouver to St. Johns is miserable....so I think not much else to do...:nod:
Meanwhile, in the tropics, I'm getting a tan and made another cocktail all while contemplating the increase in my pension due to the better exchange rate TransferWise offered.

glendem4 Feb 8th 2018 1:19 pm

£1 = $1.76

The Bank of England has warned that it will be raising interest rates sooner than markets expect, a signal that has markets firmly pricing in a May interest rate rise and making contingencies for a potential second interest rate rise in 2018.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gb...lyst-reactions

glendem4 Feb 20th 2018 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12371898)
Glad to see the £ is getting a bid today and now above $1.71. Target upside in the short term is $1.73 and hopefully a retest of $1.77 if the BOE announce the possibility of more interest rate rises in 2018.

For people moving to Canada from UK let's hope Brexit issues get resolved soon, otherwise the £ could be weak for another 2-3 years like it was from 2009-2013

Well, it has taken nearly 4 months for the £ to hit $1.77.

Expect strong resistance at $1.78 the high from 2017

£1=$1.77

AshMyl Feb 21st 2018 10:28 pm

Just got 1.77108 for transfer today on Transferwise...

glendem4 Feb 22nd 2018 8:07 pm

Canadian retail sales disappoint hitting the Loonie. https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...711-on-usd-cad

£1=$1.7738