Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada

Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:39 pm   #16
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendem4 View Post
GBPCAD hovering close to $1.70 this morning.

Let's hope the UK government starts Trade talks with the EU in December and the exchange rate can pop up to $1.75

Last 5 years GBPCAD
Highest: 2.0978
Lowest: 1.5237
Difference: 0.5741
Average: 1.7682
Don't see it going much above the average unless the Brexit decision is reversed.

Interest rates are also rising in Canada as well as oil getting back towards $60. In my 8 years in Canada I've never seen the economy here as strong.

Britain is no longer a hot bed for money and investment. Dublin and Frankfurt are the big winners of that.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th 2017, 7:08 pm   #17
Forum Regular

Cheltonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick exchange rate Question. When i deposit a Pound Sterling cheque to my Canadian bank account there is a 25 day with holding period to let the cheque clear, do i get the exchange rate at day of deposit or day the cheque clears?
Cheltonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th 2017, 7:42 pm   #18
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What just happened?

I was due to transfer some ££ to $$ this week and had been keeping my eye on the rate. $1.69 was cosistently coming up, only changing by the third decimal place.

I did the transfer yesterday and it arrived today. I see the rate is now $1.73.

It wasn't a big transfer so only a $14 'loss' but what happened that changed it by 4c from yesterday?
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:13 pm   #19
dave_j Male
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
What just happened?

I was due to transfer some ££ to $$ this week and had been keeping my eye on the rate. $1.69 was cosistently coming up, only changing by the third decimal place.
I did the transfer yesterday and it arrived today. I see the rate is now $1.73.
It wasn't a big transfer so only a $14 'loss' but what happened that changed it by 4c from yesterday?
The irish, north and south, have both thrown a small bomb into the brexit negotiations. Today, the southern irish, to whom the EU have given a veto on the progression to trade talks, were reported to have come very close to an agreement about the irish border with the UK and this 'good' news directly caused the uptick in the sterling exchange rate.
dave_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:28 pm   #20
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
The irish, north and south, have both thrown a small bomb into the brexit negotiations. Today, the southern irish, to whom the EU have given a veto on the progression to trade talks, were reported to have come very close to an agreement about the irish border with the UK and this 'good' news directly caused the uptick in the sterling exchange rate.
Well, I'm no expert but I think that would affect today/tomorrow rather than yesterday/today.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:39 pm   #21
Forum Regular

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I'm no expert but I think that would affect today/tomorrow rather than yesterday/today.
The move yesterday can be explained by the Bank of Canada actions.

The Canadian Dollar weakened Wednesday after the Bank of Canada kept its overnight policy rate on hold and left markets guessing as to when another interest rate rise might be forthcoming.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...ta-uncertainty

The move today can be explained by
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gb...t-breakthrough
glendem4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:43 pm   #22
dave_j Male
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The rise started within minutes of the report of very close to reaching agreement. Was about 1.715 when rise initiated about 6-7 hours ago, currently 1.731.
dave_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th 2017, 10:57 pm   #23
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendem4 View Post
The move yesterday can be explained by the Bank of Canada actions....
The move today can be explained by...
A bit of both then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
The rise started within minutes of the report of very close to reaching agreement. Was about 1.715 when rise initiated about 6-7 hours ago, currently 1.731.

Is this you?

Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:58 am   #24
Davita Male
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

This is another reason I downloaded TransferWise.
They emailed me yesterday as the GBP/CDN$ had reached a threshold that I inputted to consider to transfer/exchange.
Davita is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada