Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ex husbands permission to move (temp) with child

ex husbands permission to move (temp) with child

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ex husbands permission to move (temp) with child

Originally Posted by JGK
They take things like that very seriously. I know divorced couples who can't even move between provinces with kids witout the former spouses agreement.
Can even get worse then that. My sister in the US cannot leave the county she lives in without the douche errr father giving permission, even though he pays no support and never see's the kids, but he has a good lawyer.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Although they cannot refuse entry to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
All well and good, have you tried telling that to immigration, I would be interested in the result?
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:01 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

I've traveled back to Scotland twice with my girls (without the ex). My girls were 12 & 13 on the earliest trip when we went back to tour for Highland Dance competitions. I travel on a UK passport, them on their Canadian passport. I always had them go through the line themselves (not to be sneaky but to let them learn how to do it).

They were asked some questions, pointed over to where I was and we got through fine - never had any questions myself or any hassle.

And, although the girls had a note from the ex, they were never asked to provide it.

I guess we were just lucky.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ascouser...I wish you luck in getting it sorted out. Please don't remove your child from the UK without the necessary legal paperwork...as it could cause you no end of problems.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, what would happen if the second parent were deceased, or the travelling parent claimed that they were deceased?

Immigration person: "do you have the father's permission to travel with the children, and notarised documentation to prove it?"
Mother: "no."
Immigration person: "why not?"
Mother: "He'd dead."
Immigration person (none the wiser, presumably, even if the mother's actually lying through her teeth): "Oh, I'm so sorry. Please move along. Welcome to Canada."

Would they be so insensitive as to ask to see a death certificate, if the mother were travelling with new partner and the children of that new partnership?

Not, of course, that I'm suggesting this is a sensible course of action for the OP
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:54 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Out of interest, what would happen if the second parent were deceased, or the travelling parent claimed that they were deceased?

Not, of course, that I'm suggesting this is a sensible course of action for the OP
Where is Former Lancastrian when we need him?

I would have thought that they would ask for proof. The child is a minor after all.

When I came here permanently, I did bring a letter from my husband, and it was notarized, because we weren't travelling together with our son.

Europe is much the same, an English girlfriend, married to a Frenchman with two kids with French passports, who was going to visit her parents for a week in the school hols with the kids, was turned away at the border as she didn't have a letter from him.

I can see the OP's problematic situation and I do sympathize, very difficult. Best of luck.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:58 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure they would ask for proof anyway. Better to ask delicate questions rather than to allow someone to kidnap a child to another country away from a parent.

Can't see how it's much different then searching through someone's underwear in their suitcase. It's their job to scrutinize and look for lies. If it was that easy then everyone would say they were dead. Lying about it would only make the situation much worse as they could call various organizations and ask questions about the birth father.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:58 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration person: "do you have the father's permission to travel with the children, and notarised documentation to prove it?"
Immigration person (none the wiser, presumably, even if the mother's actually lying through her teeth): "Oh, I'm so sorry. Please move along. Welcome to Canada."

Would they be so insensitive as to ask to see a death certificate, if the mother were travelling with new partner and the children of that new partnership?

Interesting scenario.

When I traveled with my girls they were never asked if their mother gave them permission to leave the country. I guess it may be different if the officer can have a conversation with the kid 'cus I was never asked if had the mother's consent either.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:00 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

My kids were old enough to chat with the birder guard and I still needed proof. Not hard to lie to the kids or tell them to lie. On paper and notarized is the best way.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:05 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by comet555
My kids were old enough to chat with the birder guard and I still needed proof. Not hard to lie to the kids or tell them to lie. On paper and notarized is the best way.
Hmmm, interesting. Other than the trips to Scotland, we crossed into the States from BC several times a year (more dance competitions) and even though I had the piece of paper, we were never asked. Go figure.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise, whats to stop a parent creating a letter of consent (like this) with faked signatures. It seems unlikely that Canadian officials will follow up on details unless already suspicious for other reasons.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Likewise, whats to stop a parent creating a letter of consent (like this) with faked signatures. It seems unlikely that Canadian officials will follow up on details unless already suspicious for other reasons.
That's why they prefer them to be notarized. The Notary is required to demonstrate that the person signing is the person entitled to sign.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:26 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Ditto. Unless it's notarized a hand written note means nothing. Used to write myself notes all the time to get out of school!

Notarized is the way to go. I travel often with the kids to the US and back to Canada. They almost never ask for proof and the the only time they did was when they could see me holding the letter ready to produce to them. Being so close to the border our local MP's office has a letter and will notarize for free. So no excuses.

Nothing to stop someone from trying to go without one. If it were me though and I had tuition and shipping container, quit jobs, etc, I would want to make real sure I'd be allowed in the country. Not something to leave to chance. If the border guard asks for proof, which they likely will, they won't care if you have spent thousands of dollars and uprooted your life for this. If they are doing their job properly then I can't see how they would allow anyone in without proof as the parent could be abducting their child. I'm sure some officers might allow it or probe too deeply but it's a huge risk to take.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly CIC prefer notarised, but the forms they provide also allow for non notarized documents.

Given that the OP would appear to have little chance of tracking down her ex in the required timeframe notarized documents would seem to be largely a moot point anyway.

No doubt notarized documents have been known to be forged anyway... you can mailorder notarized stamps online or buy them at office depot!

The point is, how likely are Canadian immigration to double check any document shown to them by a single parent traveling with children?

Last edited by iaink; Jul 22nd 2014 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:15 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by iaink
The point is, how likely are Canadian immigration to double check any document shown to them by a single parent traveling with children?
I guess the question to ask is - if you were questioned, how badly would you start to sweat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.