Reload this Page >

Events Industry In Toronto

Events Industry In Toronto

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Bordino is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Events Industry In Toronto

Hi

I've just been granted my Family Class Visa, so now I'm looking for work in Toronto.

I work in the events industry back in the UK and I would like to be able to continue my career in Canada. I have already emailed a few different companies in Toronto and had a good response form 2 in particular. they want me to come in and meet with them when I eventually arrive.

On this note, the ideal situation would be to secure a job before setting off.

Does anybody on the forum work in the events industry? or more specifically the scenic , stage , rigging parts of the industry? I could really do with some advise on job boards, unions and getting a foot in the door as it were.

Cheers

Bordino
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:34 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Events Industry In Toronto

i work in the events inudstry in the UK and i'll be looking for work in that area in toronto. in my research it seems that AV technicains are either salaried or freelance (much the same over here) but theatre stagehands and techs are all union people; the IASTE Local 58 is what you might want to investigate.

when are you over there?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:34 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

PSAV are the big company I use for events planning av services. I have a contact there but he's sales rather than HR but if you want details pm me
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:20 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

I run a labour company for the entertainment industry. Union is a hard gig to get into but there is tons of work pretty much all year as long as you're prepared to travel a bit for it.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I have made a few inroads by contacting a few companies directly. Two Toronto based companies have requested that when I land I go visit them for a tour of their facilities, which I think is promising.

I am planning to be there mid July. From what Ive read Im pretty lucky to have had a positive response from companies considering Ive pretty much sent in speculative emails into them.

I have also started to look at things from a different angle too, I have started to look for work locally to where I will be based, North Bay. Hopefully my soft skill scan transfer to the local labour market. From what Ive read the Canadains like to see Canadian employment history on the resume.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I run a labour company for the entertainment industry. Union is a hard gig to get into but there is tons of work pretty much all year as long as you're prepared to travel a bit for it.
Hi Mr Bean. Can I ask for a link to your companies website please?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
i work in the events inudstry in the UK and i'll be looking for work in that area in toronto. in my research it seems that AV technicains are either salaried or freelance (much the same over here) but theatre stagehands and techs are all union people; the IASTE Local 58 is what you might want to investigate.

when are you over there?
I am looking to move over mid July. I dont do much with AV, my work centers around Scenic builds, rigging, project management, production management and crew chief.
When are you planning on going over? Who do you work for in the UK?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:17 am
Just Joined

I do a lot of traveling with my current position so that wont deter me at all, its one of the aspects of the job I like. I suppose I would be looking more at the corporate events side of things, if there is call for it over there.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordino
Thanks for the replies.

I have made a few inroads by contacting a few companies directly. Two Toronto based companies have requested that when I land I go visit them for a tour of their facilities, which I think is promising.

I am planning to be there mid July. From what Ive read Im pretty lucky to have had a positive response from companies considering Ive pretty much sent in speculative emails into them.

I have also started to look at things from a different angle too, I have started to look for work locally to where I will be based, North Bay. Hopefully my soft skill scan transfer to the local labour market. From what Ive read the Canadains like to see Canadian employment history on the resume.
Best of luck with that. North Bay may be, err, a little difficult.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:38 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I was thinking that too. Seems a bit out of the way for our line of work. I haven't been there but is there much going on in our trade?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that too. Seems a bit out of the way for our line of work. I haven't been there but is there much going on in our trade?
No, not a lot. Nor any employment prospects in any other field for an outsider.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know it could be difficult, but I only intend to be based out of there for the short term.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:51 am
Just Joined

I know there's nothing at all, but that's where my wife was raised and its a good environment for the kids.

Tthere is a scenery shop in Sudbury, I've tried to contact them this week but I'm still waiting for a reply.

All the work I'm after will be out of Toronto. I have made inroads with two companies so I remain optimistic
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In the bio Bata, Shoemaker to The World, the example is given of two salesmen dispatched to some tropical third world country to look for business. One reported back, "Situation hopeless - no sales possible - people here don't even wear shoes." The other salesman reported back, "Possibilities endless - no one here has shoes yet!" Bata built factories in all those countries and began an empire. Maybe someday when there's a big show in Toronto they'll want to get that company from North Bay.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by caretaker
In the bio Bata, Shoemaker to The World, the example is given of two salesmen dispatched to some tropical third world country to look for business. One reported back, "Situation hopeless - no sales possible - people here don't even wear shoes." The other salesman reported back, "Possibilities endless - no one here has shoes yet!" Bata built factories in all those countries and began an empire. Maybe someday when there's a big show in Toronto they'll want to get that company from North Bay.
thanks caretaker, Ill take the stance of the endless sales possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.