Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ESTA for US travel?

ESTA for US travel?

Old Sep 13th 2017, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future
Default ESTA for US travel?

My first post in here in a while. I've been settled in Canada now for over 7 months - crazy how time flies.

My question is regarding an ESTA for US travel. As I understand it, I shouldn't need one being a UK citizen (a visa waived country) and I will be travelling to the USA by land.

Can anyone confirm this though for me please, just to put my mind at rest? Cheers.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA for US travel?

Originally Posted by bramallblade
My first post in here in a while. I've been settled in Canada now for over 7 months - crazy how time flies.

My question is regarding an ESTA for US travel. As I understand it, I shouldn't need one being a UK citizen (a visa waived country) and I will be travelling to the USA by land.

Can anyone confirm this though for me please, just to put my mind at rest? Cheers.
If you were flying into the US as a Brit you would need ESTA. That does not apply if you are entering by road. You will be required to get an I94 at the border...costs a few dollars.

BTW I take it from your username you are from Sheffield...a Sheffield United supporter.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you were flying into the US as a Brit you would need ESTA. That does not apply if you are entering by road. You will be required to get an I94 at the border...costs a few dollars.

BTW I take it from your username you are from Sheffield...a Sheffield United supporter.
Thanks for the reply. An I94?

And yes I am, at the moment, a very happy Blade.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. An I94?

And yes I am, at the moment, a very happy Blade.
Britain is a visa waiver country...the I94 is the visa waiver. It's a small green form which US Immigration will staple to your UK Passport. When you leave the US make sure Canadian Immigration remove it. It shows US authorities that you have left the US is a timely manner and not overstayed.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on travelling to the USA three times over the next 12 months.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on travelling to the USA three times over the next 12 months.
Your I94-W will be valid for 3 months. If the second trip is within then, you can keep it, and not have to go inside the hut the second time. Otherwise, you should make sure the Canadians take it on return (or go down to an airport & return it, or mail it back, before time's out).
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Your I94-W will be valid for 3 months. If the second trip is within then, you can keep it, and not have to go inside the hut the second time. Otherwise, you should make sure the Canadians take it on return (or go down to an airport & return it, or mail it back, before time's out).
It is actually valid for 90 days.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

If you can spare a few dollars, get the ESTA anyway. It is quicker to get the I94W at the border if you have an ESTA.
Basically when you get to the desk in secondary you tell them you have an ESTA and they grab the details from the computer system and print you a white form rather than going through the slower process of talking through the questions or doing the green I94 form.
Ironically, if you weren't from a a visa-waiver country, you could complete your I94 online nowadays, so being British has disadvantages at the land-border :-(
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by enak
If you can spare a few dollars, get the ESTA anyway. It is quicker to get the I94W at the border if you have an ESTA.
Basically when you get to the desk in secondary you tell them you have an ESTA and they grab the details from the computer system and print you a white form rather than going through the slower process of talking through the questions or doing the green I94 form.
Ironically, if you weren't from a a visa-waiver country, you could complete your I94 online nowadays, so being British has disadvantages at the land-border :-(
Huh? Funny how these things tend to work out. Thanks for the tip. I will probably end up getting an ESTA anyway to be honest. My paranoid self won't be able to handle it otherwise!

I'll be travelling to Boston for the Easter weekend and then will return for a family vacation to South Carolina two weeks after that so i'll keep the I94 in my passport for that. Then i'm driving the west coast for a month at the end of June so i'll need a new one then.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enak
+1 get an ESTA and pay for your I94-w in advance of arriving at the border. Note there can be a long wait inside (my last trip down at Peace Arch took over an hour inside secondary, it was labour day weekend though).

I still do not understand why land borders are treated differently to both air and sea borders in this regard. Why is an ESTA ok for arriving by ship or plan but you need a whole separate document for land.

If the oversized cheeto wants to start with government waste here is a prime example of two systems doing the same thing.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

benbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond repute

When I went through the land border the immigration official asked me if I had filled out an ESTA beforehand. I said yes and perhaps that made things easier as mentioned above. Be prepared though as the guy at the booth simply looked at my passport and put it in an air tube which he then appeared to discard down a hole. He told me to park and go into the building, which we did, but it was a bit disconcerting to be parted from my passport for a while.

On return the Canadian official didn't take the form back and I forgot to mail it. I haven't been back since but sure I will visit eventually - has anyone tried going back after they didn't return their form?
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benbb
When I went through the land border the immigration official asked me if I had filled out an ESTA beforehand. I said yes and perhaps that made things easier as mentioned above. Be prepared though as the guy at the booth simply looked at my passport and put it in an air tube which he then appeared to discard down a hole. He told me to park and go into the building, which we did, but it was a bit disconcerting to be parted from my passport for a while.

On return the Canadian official didn't take the form back and I forgot to mail it. I haven't been back since but sure I will visit eventually - has anyone tried going back after they didn't return their form?
Lots of people have just make sure you either legally return it or illegally set fire to it. DO NOT leave in your passport.

If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States. As of November 1, 2014, the address is:
Coleman Data Solutions
Box 7965
Akron, OH 44306
Attn: NIDPS (I-94)
USA
(If using U.S. Postal Service)

OR
Coleman Data Solutions
3043 Sanitarium Road, Suite 2
Akron, OH 44312
(If using FedEx or UPS)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...bVMyNnVEc24%3D
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

benbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Lots of people have just make sure you either legally return it or illegally set fire to it. DO NOT leave in your passport.

If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States. As of November 1, 2014, the address is:
Coleman Data Solutions
Box 7965
Akron, OH 44306
USA
(If using U.S. Postal Service)

OR
Coleman Data Solutions
3043 Sanitarium Road, Suite 2
Akron, OH 44312
(If using FedEx or UPS)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...bVMyNnVEc24%3D
Thanks - yeah I took it out my passport and put it in an envelope and was going to send it but didn't get round to it before I left the country - not sure where it is now though.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benbb
Thanks - yeah I took it out my passport and put it in an envelope and was going to send it but didn't get round to it before I left the country - not sure where it is now though.
Remember you burnt it but if asked mailed it in
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys. So it is time for me to get my ESTA. However, I am very confused at the US point of contact information section. I am planning to visit the States 3 times in the next 6 months.

So, do I put in this section the first place I am staying on trip 1? I really don't get it. Help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.