Escaping

Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Irri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Escaping

If you haven't payed enough tax in the UK (and you don't have Google's lawyers), can you escape to Canada, or will they track you down?

Semi serious
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:06 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Escaping

Worth a punt
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked here with a bloke from Essex who'd fled the UK taxman. He'd also fled the South African tax man. Neither of them had found him and, when last seen, he was fleeing the Canadian taxman by taking a job in Australia. I suppose he'd be in Paraguay or Uruguay or Someguay by now.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Good to know.

I'm facing a hefty late payment due to a crapy accountant, and wondering if it's worth paying if I'm leaving anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irri
If you haven't payed enough tax in the UK (and you don't have Google's lawyers), can you escape to Canada, or will they track you down?

Semi serious
Realistically, it depends on how much money they think you owe them. If it's a lot, then they might put some effort into finding you and then enforcing any UK court judgement in Canada (that's possible and not that hard usually). Where the cut-off point is though, I don't know. I would guess the 5-10K GBP mark is probably where the cost of recovering the money from you starts to be worth the time to do it but they may well set it lower in order to set an example to others...
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

They will catch up with you eventually.
I recieved a bill for £400 from them for money I owed for 1995 (unbeknownst to me) despite having moved 10 times in 10 years and spending 6 of those years in Australia before moving here.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

How on Earth did they find you through different countries?

I'm going to pay mine; it was just hateful rebelling against the late charges :/
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Worth remembering that the UK and Canada have bilateral tax agreements and I believe even a social security agreement so the fact that you are in Canada may at some point be fed back to HMRC from CRA.

I also think it is a legal requirement to inform HMRC when you are leaving the UK for tax purposes and if you don't they are likely to expect a tax return each year from you
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

How on Earth did they find you through different countries?

I'm going to pay mine; it was just hateful rebelling against the late charges :/
I have no idea, but I don't think the amount matters to them - it is the principle.
If they let the little amounts go then it's a slippery slope. People will hear about it and before you know it they are having to chase everyone for every penny.
Not worth the aggro - if you speak to them you can set up a payment plan.
If you are planning on staying here you do not want to have that kind of skeleton rattling around in your cupboard IMO.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

It's not that much; I can afford it

"If they let the little amounts go then it's a slippery slope"
I wish they applied the same rule with large amounts!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

CRA and the IRS certainly talk to one another, wouldnt be far fetched for Canada to be talking to other countries as well.

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Worth remembering that the UK and Canada have bilateral tax agreements and I believe even a social security agreement so the fact that you are in Canada may at some point be fed back to HMRC from CRA.

I also think it is a legal requirement to inform HMRC when you are leaving the UK for tax purposes and if you don't they are likely to expect a tax return each year from you
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So what is your plan of escape? Are you applying for PR status coming here working or just turning up and trying to live under the radar? Perhaps your escape might be blocked as soon as you arrive in Canada.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that much; I can afford it

"If they let the little amounts go then it's a slippery slope"
I wish they applied the same rule with large amounts!
Are you certain that you won't have any more tax dealings with the U.K. Once in Canada?

Anyway maybe the tax rebate you would be due on leaving the uk might be enough to cover it?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So what is your plan of escape? Are you applying for PR status coming here working or just turning up and trying to live under the radar? Perhaps your escape might be blocked as soon as you arrive in Canada.
I believe from a previous thread OP said he had a Canadian passport.

Mind you, it might not be his.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
CRA and the IRS certainly talk to one another, wouldnt be far fetched for Canada to be talking to other countries as well.
I’ve no doubt they are in communication. I doubt they would put much effort in unless it was a large sum though. Anyway, as I mentioned, it was more of a rant

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well, there is a family yacht here, and one in the Caribbean. I was thinking I could sneak out on the UK boat, follow the trade winds, then meet up with the boat in the Caribbean. At some point, the boats would pass, and I would move from one to the other. After that, we would head north and arrive in Manitoba. Maybe I could be an ice road trucker.

Failing that, I would catch a flight from Heathrow and use my Canadian passport to enter*

Originally Posted by bats
Are you certain that you won't have any more tax dealings with the U.K. Once in Canada?

Anyway maybe the tax rebate you would be due on leaving the uk might be enough to cover it?
I’m sure I would, and don’t want to burn any bridges.

How could I be due any rebate on leaving?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I believe from a previous thread OP said he had a Canadian passport.

Mind you, it might not be his.

*Sorry if that sounds flippant. I have every sympathy for those who have had to deal with the issues of visas/PR etc for themselves and family. I’ve been through it a few times and know how stressful it can be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.