Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Entering on a UK passport (dual citizenship)

Entering on a UK passport (dual citizenship)

Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Irri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Entering on a UK passport (dual citizenship)

Sorry, I should have said... I'm in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irri
Sorry, I should have said... I'm in the UK.
So this is a bit shutting the barn door after the horse buggered off then?
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Not sure I follow.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

OK Irri I see do you live in the UK?

Try for special authorization then. Fingers crossed that you get it.

Keep us updated!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, I live in the UK, but have Canadian citizenship. The holiday location is booked for the 1st of May, but I don't have time to get a new passport. I haven't booked the flight yet though. I don't want to book the flight if there is a possibility I won't get the special authorisation. Hmmm.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as per the link I sent you, it leads to contacting these places for enquiries/assistance:

https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emba...united-kingdom

"If you are not eligible for the special authorization

There are no quick fixes to help you get on your flight.

Contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad to find out what your options are. Only under strict conditions and on a case-by-case basis will temporary passports or emergency travel documents be issued."

Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport

Let us know what happens!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Will do. Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irri
Will do. Thanks.
Can't you get an emergency passport worst case?
Old Apr 16th 2017, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Don't think you can do that from the UK. I have emailed the embassy.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
I am not an expert on Canadian immigration so I stand corrected by those who do.
A few years ago I forgot to take my Canadian passport and citizenship card to UK and I used my British passport to board the flight to Toronto.

However on landing I was stopped by the immigration officer and asked to prove my residency in Canada. I emptying my wallet and showed home depot card and Walmart receipts, and driving licence and health card. Eventually I was allowed to enter, with the warning in future to carry citizen ship card when using British passport.
I can outdo this. I was on a flight to Canada, I hung my coat in the closet and sat down. On arrival in Toronto my coat had gone. The flight attendant explained that they ran out of room in the closet and checked my coat. I was irritated but not upset until I realized that my documentation was in my coat and immigration is before baggage claim. The immigration people wouldn't let me go and pick up the coat so we went through a whole pantomime of "where do you live? How do you get there?". Eventually I said I had unpaid speeding tickets and they should look them up. Many hours after I arrived, they let me go.

The next week I was strolling along, approaching immigration, when I realized that the doors between departures and arrivals were open. Not wanting the hassle of seeing the immigration people again, I walked into departures and out of the airport. The airline treated my bag as "lost" and delivered it the next day. I got away with this half a dozen times before the airline smelled a rat and declined to deliver the luggage again.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...I was on a flight to Canada, I hung my coat in the closet and sat down...
Is my ignorance of what you speak because I've not flown since 2007 or is this something to do with flying other than economy?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is my ignorance of what you speak because I've not flown since 2007 or is this something to do with flying other than economy?
I usually have my coat hung when I'm in Business or First. I'm a top tier frequent flyer (I have fly a lot) and occasionally also get offered to have my coat hung in economy as well. If you ask though I think most airlines with hang your coat on a long haul flight.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My era of flying multiple times a week was the 1990s and 2000s. Thank God the internet was then widely adopted and the need to fly faded away. I don't know if closets are still generally available but I do know that proper coats are rarely worn, it hardly matters if some sort of puffy polymer thing has to be stomped under the seat.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 2:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
I usually have my coat hung when I'm in Business or First....
Originally Posted by dbd33
...I don't know if closets are still generally available...
Seems they are.

I've enviously passed some of the 'seats' in whatever class they were. I've always had some vague idea of free drinks and proper plates and things but it never occurred to me there might be closets too.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 2:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I've enviously passed some of the 'seats' in whatever class they were. I've always had some vague idea of free drinks and proper plates and things but it never occurred to me there might be closets too.
Priority boarding is always nice before the rush.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.