Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Entering on a UK passport (dual citizenship)

Entering on a UK passport (dual citizenship)

Old Apr 15th 2017, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Irri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering on a UK passport (dual citizenship)

Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether or not you can enter Canada on a UK passport if you also have Canadian citizenship?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 6:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering on a UK passport (dual citizenship)

Originally Posted by Irri
Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether or not you can enter Canada on a UK passport if you also have Canadian citizenship?

Thanks in advance.
CIC do Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport
Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
When I travel between UK and Canada, I take both passports. I show the UK passport when entering UK and Canadian passport when I return to Canada. Never encountered any problem.
If you show British passport with your Canadian citizenship card when entering Canada still no problem.
Otherwise you will have to provide proof of residency in Canada.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
When I travel between UK and Canada, I take both passports. I show the UK passport when entering UK and Canadian passport when I return to Canada. Never encountered any problem.
If you show British passport with your Canadian citizenship card when entering Canada still no problem.
Otherwise you will have to provide proof of residency in Canada.
You wouldn't be able to board a flight to Canada with a uk passport if your Canadian as you won't be able to get an ETA.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Can you be a bit more specific as the answer can be yes and no.

If flying to Canada you definitely need a Canadian passport to board the plane. If flying via the USA then crossing by land border then you could enter on the UK passport with other proof of Canadian citizenship.
Once on the plane and on arrival in Canada you could also show the UK passport and other proof of citizenship.

So what was your question again?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
You wouldn't be able to board a flight to Canada with a uk passport if your Canadian as you won't be able to get an ETA.
I am not an expert on Canadian immigration so I stand corrected by those who do.
A few years ago I forgot to take my Canadian passport and citizenship card to UK and I used my British passport to board the flight to Toronto.

However on landing I was stopped by the immigration officer and asked to prove my residency in Canada. I emptying my wallet and showed home depot card and Walmart receipts, and driving licence and health card. Eventually I was allowed to enter, with the warning in future to carry citizen ship card when using British passport.

Last edited by geoff52; Apr 15th 2017 at 8:06 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 8:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an expert on Canadian immigration so I stand corrected by those who do.
A few years ago I forgot to take my Canadian passport and citizenship card to UK and I used my British passport to board the flight to Toronto.

However on landing I was stopped by the immigration officer and asked to prove my residency in Canada. I emptying my wallet and showed home depot card and Walmart receipts, and driving licence and health card. Eventually I was allowed to enter, with the warning in future to carry citizen ship card when using British passport.
See the link above for the current rules.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

OP: are you eligible for special authorization?:

Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport

It looks the same as Aviator's link but links directly to the requirements for special authorization.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

That was before the eTA system came in. Everyone boarding the plane now needs to get a 'Board' message from the computer. Canadians get it by presenting a Canadian passport, Canadian PRs get it by presenting a PR card, and non-Canadians get it by presenting a non-Canadian passport electronically approved by CIC. If you are entitled to one of the first two, you cannot get an eTA (it will be refused when you try to register the British passport), so you cannot board the plane without your Canadian documents.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info.

I guess I can get special authorisation if I book a flight then apply within 10 days of my flight, as I have "a valid passport from a visa exempt country" and have "held a Canadian passport in the past."
Old Apr 15th 2017, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering: why wouldn't you get a new Canadian passport?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

I don't have time. The place is booked for May 1st, and they say it's a 4-6 week wait.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Just wondering: why wouldn't you get a new Canadian passport?
This. If anything else you would better off the other way around. At least you can enter the UK on a Canadian passport.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have time. The place is booked for May 1st, and they say it's a 4-6 week wait.
If you are able to go to a passport office in Canada, its possible to obtain a passport renewal in a matter of days - by paying a premium and proving booked imminent travel. Certainly Doable before May 1st.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

My husband got one through the main Vancouver office in 4 days (his mother was very ill). He had to go in person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.