Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Employee Benefits and Pensions in Canada

Employee Benefits and Pensions in Canada

Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employee Benefits and Pensions in Canada

Originally Posted by colchar
Are you referring to Canada? If so, this is complete and utter bollocks. I cannot count the number of friends and acquaintances I have who have worked in the public sector and had no trouble finding a job in the private sector.
As always, it's a delight to see one of your moderately worded, well substantiated, posts. Are you thinking of jobs where the public employee approves building developments then takes a position with the developer, that sort of graft?
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:03 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Colchar, I cannot count the number of public service employees whose resumes went straight into the round file. What does either your statement or mine prove?

The only difference is you have X number of years in Canada to speak from and I have from age 7. You do whatever it is you do and I retired at age 43 from what I did. You know a certain type of people at certain levels of jobs and I knew the type of people I knew at certain levels of jobs. Were our experiences the same? I don't think so.

There is one other difference between us. I might write, 'my experiences are different' or 'I disagree with what you have said'. But I would never write 'this is complete and utter bollocks'. I'm neither stupid enough nor arrogant enough to use that phrase in a forum.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
Colchar, I cannot count the number of public service employees whose resumes went straight into the round file. What does either your statement or mine prove?
Sod all.

But I actually agree with colchar <shock>. I also know a large number of folk who have moved from the public sector to the private sector (as well as several who've done the reverse switch).

I see no need to be absolute about this total non-issue.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sod all.

But I actually agree with colchar <shock>. I also know a large number of folk who have moved from the public sector to the private sector (as well as several who've done the reverse switch).

I see no need to be absolute about this total non-issue.
+1.

I've switched successfully from one of the above mentioned sectors to the other, several times, albeit at lowly admin levels. Perhaps it's a provincial thing?

SB
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
+1.

I've switched successfully from one of the above mentioned sectors to the other, several times, albeit at lowly admin levels. Perhaps it's a provincial thing?

SB
I don't think it's a provincial thing in the sense of being different in various Canadian Provinces. But I think this statement (from post #50 by Dulciusexapreris)...

"Many companies in the private sector have an unwritten rule that no ex public sector employee will be hired. That's because the perception is "there used to be a time when i was your age that when working for govt., as long as you showed up for work on time, managed to stay awake and tried to look busy, and kept as low profile, and left on time, you could expect a lifetime of job security"

So they get a good pension perhaps but if they have spent many years in the public sector they are far less likely to be able to find a job in the private sector if they ever need to. They are not perceived as productive and in fact trained to be non-productive."

.. is extremely provincial in the other sense. I think it's a redneck tory thing.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

I hadn't realised how lucky I am on the pension front. My employer pays 10% of my base salary (excluding bonuses etc) into a Definied Contribution pension, and also matches my RRSP contributions up to 5% of base salary. I manage both the Pension and RRSP funds.

My wife is a teacher, so she has a Defined Benefit pension. Her contributions are mandatory, but not unreasonable.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
I hadn't realised how lucky I am on the pension front. My employer pays 10% of my base salary (excluding bonuses etc) into a Definied Contribution pension, and also matches my RRSP contributions up to 5% of base salary. I manage both the Pension and RRSP funds.

My wife is a teacher, so she has a Defined Benefit pension. Her contributions are mandatory, but not unreasonable.
good for both of you

you will not need to look forward to baked beans in your old age

see post number 1 on thread
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:23 am
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps it is a Provincial thing, I did spend most of my working life in Ontario and it is certainly a redneck tory province. LOL

I agree it isn't any kind of absolute thing Novocastrian but I stand by what I saw and experienced. Many resumes went straigt into the waste basket if they were Public sector employees.

When you have 100 applicants who all believe they are qualified 'on paper' to apply for the job, you start using some pretty subjective and radical means to thin them out.

I saw a CEO cut a guy applying for a mid six figure position solely on the basis of his having worn white socks for his round of golf 'interview'. I saw another guy cut simply because he had a rather loud and annoying laugh when having a lunch 'interview'.

In the businesses I was involved with I am not exaggerating when I say Public sector got you eliminated right away.

But I do agree it is not absolute in any way. I just got annoyed at Colchar's 'complete and utter bollocks' remark. As if it never happens.

Last edited by Dulciusexasperis; Mar 11th 2014 at 12:28 am.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:27 am
Banned

You have potentially got another benefit danfolkestone Teachers get to continue to buy their travel medical insurance after retirement, through the Teacher's Federation (or whatever the correct name is).

The high cost of medical insurance was included in another thread as a prime reason why people stop Snow Birding after a certain age.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 2:15 am
Born again atheist

You have potentially got another benefit danfolkestone Teachers get to continue to buy their travel medical insurance after retirement, through the Teacher's Federation (or whatever the correct name is).

The high cost of medical insurance was included in another thread as a prime reason why people stop Snow Birding after a certain age.
The OTPP I have that through my job (which is not a teacher).
Old Mar 11th 2014, 2:21 am
Born again atheist

Perhaps it is a Provincial thing, I did spend most of my working life in Ontario and it is certainly a redneck tory province. LOL
Perhaps not. But there are plenty of reactionaries in Ontario.

I agree it isn't any kind of absolute thing Novocastrian but I stand by what I saw and experienced. Many resumes went straigt into the waste basket if they were Public sector employees.
Anecdote alert.

I saw a CEO cut a guy applying for a mid six figure position solely on the basis of his having worn white socks for his round of golf 'interview'. I saw another guy cut simply because he had a rather loud and annoying laugh when having a lunch 'interview'.
You seem obsessed with golf.

In the businesses I was involved with I am not exaggerating when I say Public sector got you eliminated right away.
Of course, I'm prying but which business was that?
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
good point

I have met some who presumed an automatic cost of living increase, even a miserable 2%

even that seems to be on the way out

and govt imposed increases to minimum wage rates are also pretty pathetic
I was bored last night, and was looking at the min. wage in California through the decades, and in 1980 it was 3.10, and according to the inflation calculator in 2012 that would be 8.01, and current min. wage is 8.00.

But its going to 9 in July and then 10 in January 2016, but still too low for the majority of the state when cost of living is factored in.

My mom works in a hotel in California, and she makes 10/hr and has been at that wage since being hired in 2005, which was a 3.25 above min. wage at the time, her hotel like many cry poor and say they can't afford raises. (she used to be a paramedic up until 2003 when she got cancer, and could no longer do the work, so she had to leave that profession, but it also shows how a medical issue can totally ruin you career wise and financially.)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 11th 2014 at 7:40 am.