Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

emigrating with kids, rent or buy?

emigrating with kids, rent or buy?

Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emigrating with kids, rent or buy?

Originally Posted by withabix
It might be better to rent new kids when you get here

That way you can take them back if you don't like them....
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

re school bus routes

I know more about BC ................ but it might depend on how far out you live.

I know there are always cases here where the school bus goes on the "main" road, but the family home is 1 or 2 kms up a secondary road, and that is not on the route, so the parents have to get the kids to the pick-up point!

We owned 20 acres in a semi-wilderness area in the Cariboo from 1997 to last year ............... the nearest town was 100 Mile House, 60 km away. That is where the secondary school is.

The nearest village with a school was Forest Grove, 40 km away. That had the primary school for the whole area east.

While we lived there, the school board closed the Forest Grove school, although the local parents later re-opened it, ran it independently for a couple of years. Now the local school district has taken control again. It currently has 44 students in K-7.

There was also a primary school on a First Nations reserve between us and FG ............ but they did not accept anyone who was not First Nations

The "main" road for us was a 2 lane gravel road that was graded once or twice a year. Snowfall in that area is anywhere from 3' to 10', and the road was cleared, after all paved roads had been done. There were some permanent residents living further down the single lane, gravel, ungraded Forest Service Road that went to our property, including a small part of the First Nations Reserve.

The school bus stopped at the FSR junction with the "main" road if there were any kids to be taken to school ............. we were 3 km down the FSR, the other residents were much further.

Bears, cougars and coyotes, not to mention deer and moose, abounded

I know this is BC ............. and you are considering ON, but I would check it out very carefully.

It was never a feasible option for us to live on that property year-round, although the people who homesteaded there in the 1970s were permanent, and had 5 children in about 5 years. Then they had to move closer to town for schooling.

We had no electricity other than a generator, the telephone line did not extend down the FSR (it would have cost around $10,000 for us to have it brought), cell phones did not work (no cell towers within range) although a satellite phone might have worked, we installed piping and a pump to bring cold water from a shallow well, but it wasn't potable.

We sold to someone who is planning on living off-grid.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
re school bus routes

I know more about BC ................ but it might depend on how far out you live.

I know there are always cases here where the school bus goes on the "main" road, but the family home is 1 or 2 kms up a secondary road, and that is not on the route, so the parents have to get the kids to the pick-up point!

We owned 20 acres in a semi-wilderness area in the Cariboo from 1997 to last year ............... the nearest town was 100 Mile House, 60 km away. That is where the secondary school is.

The nearest village with a school was Forest Grove, 40 km away. That had the primary school for the whole area east.

While we lived there, the school board closed the Forest Grove school, although the local parents later re-opened it, ran it independently for a couple of years. Now the local school district has taken control again. It currently has 44 students in K-7.

There was also a primary school on a First Nations reserve between us and FG ............ but they did not accept anyone who was not First Nations

The "main" road for us was a 2 lane gravel road that was graded once or twice a year. Snowfall in that area is anywhere from 3' to 10', and the road was cleared, after all paved roads had been done. There were some permanent residents living further down the single lane, gravel, ungraded Forest Service Road that went to our property, including a small part of the First Nations Reserve.

The school bus stopped at the FSR junction with the "main" road if there were any kids to be taken to school ............. we were 3 km down the FSR, the other residents were much further.

Bears, cougars and coyotes, not to mention deer and moose, abounded

I know this is BC ............. and you are considering ON, but I would check it out very carefully.

It was never a feasible option for us to live on that property year-round, although the people who homesteaded there in the 1970s were permanent, and had 5 children in about 5 years. Then they had to move closer to town for schooling.

We had no electricity other than a generator, the telephone line did not extend down the FSR (it would have cost around $10,000 for us to have it brought), cell phones did not work (no cell towers within range) although a satellite phone might have worked, we installed piping and a pump to bring cold water from a shallow well, but it wasn't potable.

We sold to someone who is planning on living off-grid.
Wow that is remote! We are not planning anything so adventurous as that but I do take your point and I will be researching thoroughly school routes and transport. Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Decisive moment
Wow that is remote! We are not planning anything so adventurous as that but I do take your point and I will be researching thoroughly school routes and transport. Thanks
You would struggle to find anywhere around Orangeville that doesn't have a bus to a conventional school. There are days when the bus doesn't run due to weather and worse days when the schools themselves are closed but both are rare. Go a few miles west and many of the rural schools are religious. These are problematic (to me anyway) in that traditional Christian schools do not condone education for girls.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
These are problematic (to me anyway) in that traditional Christian schools do not condone education for girls.

depends which religions
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:37 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think buying children is legal so you would have to rent them.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

depends which religions
The primary denomination here is Mennonite but I don't think there's much of a difference philosophically between them and the Amish, the Hutterites, the Lutherans, the Baptists, the traditional, Latin mass, Catholics; it's all barefoot and pregnant for the womenfolk. Still, the OP mentioned having cars so her children likely aren't eligible for that sort of school anyway.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I think I might argue with you re the last 2, and possibly the last 3 .................

the Catholic families and schools here most definitely believe in educating girls.

Barefoot and pregnant went out the window decades ago

I notice you don't mention Sikh and Muslim schools, or Mormon .............. do you not have those?
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

never mind...someone saw the joke before me

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Feb 27th 2015 at 2:55 am. Reason: read the thread before posting the joke
Old Feb 27th 2015, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

I notice you don't mention Sikh and Muslim schools, or Mormon .............. do you not have those?
Not in rural Ontario, no, dedicated Sikhs, Muslims or Jews would have to drive to Brampton. I'm familiar with Mormon plural marriages but I believe they're not common any more except in BC and AZ. There is no significant number of Mormons in Ontario.

What we do have in rural Ontario is Catholic and Mennonite (both the horse and buggy version and the modernist black car version). I also drive through the school zones for a couple of "Christian" schools with no additional specification. I always speed up in the hope of splattering a few dull eyed indoctrinated robo-kids but I can't say I've taken the trouble to find out just how wacko their beliefs are.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm sure the "mad-Mullah" type institutions beloved by the Daily Mail are just as bad as the fee charging Christian religious schools, we just don't have any around here.

I imagine the OP would likely go for the Orangeville District Secondary School. I know a graduate of that one. No religiosity there. No danger of being able to spell religiosity either.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think I might argue with you re the last 2, and possibly the last 3 .................

the Catholic families and schools here most definitely believe in educating girls.

Barefoot and pregnant went out the window decades ago

If there were any Sikhs then they would educate girls equally as the religion states that men and women are equal.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

No danger of being able to spell religiosity either.
..or religiousity either
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by withabix
..or religiousity either
ODSS is in Ontario. I wouldn't expect them to teach anything but American spellings.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Since I’m at a loose end, and closer to O’ville than AX, here are some things you might need to know about rural property around Orangeville:

- There are very often rural properties for rent. Some of them quite odd (like the former petrol station just north of Grand Valley).
- Much of the land is swampy, walk it all in Spring before spending any money.
- Amaranth has gobsmacking property taxes and development fees. Mono also has high property taxes.
- Land surveys are more expensive than you’d think and you need one for any sort of construction permit (and, if you live in the country, something will need building). Try to make the seller get one.
- The power will go out for days. You need some sort of generator.
- No power = no heat so you need a woodstove and a pile of wood.
- Internet is typically by line of sight. Get xplornet to confirm that it’ll work before buying a property.
- Get the seller to pump the septic; that way you will at least know where it is.
- The rule of thumb for weather is that it gets bad north of highway 89, south of there is relatively tropical.
- Rural properties take a long time, sometimes years, to sell. It’s even more important in the country to avoid getting the wrong one than it is in town.
- Dundalk is known locally as Scumdalk. That’s fair. There’s no reason to go there.
- The area immediately north of the Dufferin County Museum is hilly, very attractive, and just too far to be commutable to Toronto. You could do worse than going left at the garage/liquor outlet and having a look.
Just copied and pasted for future reference - thanks
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Just copied and pasted for future reference - thanks
We pass this one from time to time. It was FSBO with no web presence until last week:

7201 HWY 6, MAPLETON, Ontario N0G1A0 - 1590742 | Realtor.ca

"Not ideal for horses" I thought, "not bad though if you have a lot of cars".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.