Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drug coverage - how does it work?

Drug coverage - how does it work?

Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Lifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drug coverage - how does it work?

I have been in Vancouver for 3 months now. My employer provides extended health coverage for dental, vision and drugs.

So far we haven't had to visit a doctor but my daughter has asthma and we'll need to get a prescription filled next month. I just saw the previous thread about this and it made me realise I don't have a clue what to do about any of the medical process here.

We have our MSBC cards but what so we do and how so we show we have extended coverage? Will there be anything to pay? Employer also pays monthly MSBC premium.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drug coverage - how does it work?

Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat36
I have been in Vancouver for 3 months now. My employer provides extended health coverage for dental, vision and drugs.

So far we haven't had to visit a doctor but my daughter has asthma and we'll need to get a prescription filled next month. I just saw the previous thread about this and it made me realise I don't have a clue what to do about any of the medical process here.

We have our MSBC cards but what so we do and how so we show we have extended coverage? Will there be anything to pay? Employer also pays monthly MSBC premium.

Thanks in advance!
The amount you pay will depend on the extended coverage rules/terms. Some employers cover 100% but usually it's about 80% with you having to pay the balance. My employer issued a card for the extended coverage and my druggist used the information on it to electronically bill the provider directly and as I have 100% coverage, there's nothing to pay. Your MSBC card, AFAIK, would not come into such a transaction because, at least in Ontario, the Prov.Gov't doesn't cover drug costs for most people.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!
First your daughter needs a prescription. If you have a GP then visit them to get the prescription. If you don't then you will need to go to a walk-in clinic and be prepared to wait your turn. Your daughter will need her MSP card for free service with the GP/clinic.

Once you have the prescription take it to a drug store to be filled. Your daughter will be asked for her MSP number. What you will/will not have to pay depends on the terms of your extended health plan. If they gave you a card with the plan it is likely that the drug store can bill the insurance company directly and all you will pay is the co-pay amount, if any. For some extended health schemes you pay the full cost of the drugs and claim the insured portion back from the insurance company later.

You should have been given a booklet for the extended health scheme which explains how to do this. If not, talk to your HR people.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!
not sure how MSBC works but my Manulife card as a drug plan number on it that is used my the dispensing pharmacist. My employer covers 90% and I pay the remaining 10%. Also be careful where you get your prescriptions from as some plans limit the dispensing fee.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 8:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

And adding to this, don't forget to keep any receipts from where you have had to pay for medications (prescription) - you can claim it on your tax return.

Old Nov 22nd 2016, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Lifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! Really useful. I have got the card now and the online policy booklet from HR so good to go.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 6:15 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! Really useful. I have got the card now and the online policy booklet from HR so good to go.
It's dead easy- once you us a regular pharmacy, things will be sorted out of your sight- very smooth. Just carry your care card with you at all times - just incase you need emergency or urgent treatment, otherwise you will get hefty bills which can be refuted once you eventually show you have a valid card but it is a hassle.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

I literally just renewed my UK prescriptions this week, went to a walk in clinic and saw the doctor who was happy to write the scripts. Went to the pharmacy and got them dispensed, i paid and then claimed the money back. My company cover is with Blue cross, i used their app took a pic of the pharmacy receipt and filled in my details. The money was popped back into my account within 2days, minus the $50 yearly deductible.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:30 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
I literally just renewed my UK prescriptions this week, went to a walk in clinic and saw the doctor who was happy to write the scripts. Went to the pharmacy and got them dispensed, i paid and then claimed the money back. My company cover is with Blue cross, i used their app took a pic of the pharmacy receipt and filled in my details. The money was popped back into my account within 2days, minus the $50 yearly deductible.
Glad it went well. It often shocks people how much they charge for some meds- you get to see the price of these meds but at least you get to claim it back speedily from Blue Cross. Slightly costlier than the £8.40 NHS prescription for three months supply in the UK!
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Glad it went well. It often shocks people how much they charge for some meds- you get to see the price of these meds but at least you get to claim it back speedily from Blue Cross. Slightly costlier than the £8.40 NHS prescription for three months supply in the UK!
i actually couldn't believe the cost of meds tbh. I take a migraine medication that cost $20 per tablet here hms: so grateful I'm fully covered.