Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving permit in Canada

Driving permit in Canada

Old May 28th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future
Smile Driving permit in Canada

Hi guys,

I landed as a PR on Saturday and I am so excited that it's all over with! Now I can start to plan certian things like taking driving lessons (I've been waiting forever to do them!). Although I took lessons in the UK for 3 months; I didn't do my driving test (due to finishing college then life just getting busy!) and now I'm wondering how I go about applying for a driving permit in Canada? Does anyone know where I need to go to apply for this? I have no idea!

Thanks in advance!

Kate
Old May 28th 2008, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving permit in Canada

Hi,

The first thing you'll need to do is check out the website for the saaq (quebec's car licencing people). if you google it they have a page in english too.

their main office is on henri bourassa east, about 5 blocks east of the metro station. i exchanged my uk drivers licence for a quebec one no problems, you might even be able to do the same with just a provisional one (this province is pretty lax!). if you go that route, you'll need to book an appointment on the phone and it usually takes about 2 weeks.

good luck!
Old May 28th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

Cheers, gembers! I just went onto the SAAQ website and it helped alot!

Thank you so much for your help!

Kate
Old May 28th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with that.

I should also recommend La Capitale for insurance too. They're a Quebec based company and came out way cheaper when i came to insure my car/appartment, especially if you're under 30 with no no-claims like me.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say good luck learning to drive. I did a load of lessons and then never bothered doing the test, that was almost 10 years ago. I'm going to start lessons again this summer.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, gembers; yeah under 30 too and no other claims either! Will definitely look into La Capitale; I've heard good things about them before!

Cheers, Elaine B. LOL Your situation sounds a lot like mine! I took my driving lessons about 10/11 years ago too and never bothered with the test...I am SO excited to start now! I hate having to take public transport; HATE IT!! I find that in Canada you definitely need to drive because everything seems so far away! LOL My boyfriend drives but takes the car with him to work...I have to sweat it out with everyone else on the Metro - Yuck!
Old May 28th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giggles2080
Thanks, gembers; yeah under 30 too and no other claims either! Will definitely look into La Capitale; I've heard good things about them before!

Cheers, Elaine B. LOL Your situation sounds a lot like mine! I took my driving lessons about 10/11 years ago too and never bothered with the test...I am SO excited to start now! I hate having to take public transport; HATE IT!! I find that in Canada you definitely need to drive because everything seems so far away! LOL My boyfriend drives but takes the car with him to work...I have to sweat it out with everyone else on the Metro - Yuck!
My OH can't drive either so it seems I spend my life on public transit, great fun in rush hour with a 5 year old and a baby in a stroller

I reckon if you can drive in Montreal you won't be afraid to drive anywhere in the world I'm too chicken to learn here so I'm waiting until I move back to Northern Ireland in July to start lessons again.
Old May 28th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tell me about it! Montreal drivers are INSANE! I get nervous just sitting in the passenger seat some times because people fly by and don't indicate and don't think twice about cutting you off then giving you the "look" as if you're the one in the wrong! Weird!

Ya, taking public transport with a 5 year old and baby in a stroller must be bags of fun! LOL In rush-hour too! You're brave - in Montreal you practically have to fight your way onto the train because people will push you out of the way to get on before you - like it's a race! Never experienced anything like it before! Not even when I used the underground on a visit to London! LOL

You're not in Canada for much longer? Are you planning on heading back here?
Old May 28th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giggles2080
Tell me about it! Montreal drivers are INSANE! I get nervous just sitting in the passenger seat some times because people fly by and don't indicate and don't think twice about cutting you off then giving you the "look" as if you're the one in the wrong! Weird!

Ya, taking public transport with a 5 year old and baby in a stroller must be bags of fun! LOL In rush-hour too! You're brave - in Montreal you practically have to fight your way onto the train because people will push you out of the way to get on before you - like it's a race! Never experienced anything like it before! Not even when I used the underground on a visit to London! LOL

You're not in Canada for much longer? Are you planning on heading back here?
We've been here since Sept. 1999 and we move back "home" for good on July 13th. I lived in Montreal for almost 2 years before moving to Toronto so I know what you mean about the drivers and the Metro it's certainly an experience