Reload this Page >

Driving in Ontario

Driving in Ontario

Old May 16th 2014, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Dermott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Ontario

Hello all

I have a question and need some advice, My wife has just got a job in Toronto so we are moving to Ontatio in a couple of months - my question is
I started driving lessons in March of this Year, so I'm still learning to drive I hold a provisional licence which I know is worthless in Canada, what I would like to know is will I have to do the graduated driving scheme which takes up to two years I understand or can I use the experience I have gained over the last few months (which is a lot) and be fast tracked so to speak? Ive tried calling service ontario all it does is read out the information on there website,

any thoughts and advice would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Dermott
Old May 16th 2014, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Ontario

Have you read this website link
http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...rivers-licence
Old May 16th 2014, 8:36 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There's no fast-track, no, and because you're on a provisional licence you'd have to start again.

However, it's worth noting that in Ontario, you start with your G1 (which means you can't drive on your own). You can get your G2 after one year (or 8 months if you take driving school). YOur G2 is technically not a full licence, but you are able to drive on your own. The only real difference between your G2 and your G is the alcohol allowance. On a full G you can have a BAC of 0.08; on your G2 it's flat zero.

So really it's just one year until you can drive.

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ce-new-drivers
Old May 17th 2014, 3:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
There's no fast-track, no, and because you're on a provisional licence you'd have to start again.

However, it's worth noting that in Ontario, you start with your G1 (which means you can't drive on your own). You can get your G2 after one year (or 8 months if you take driving school). YOur G2 is technically not a full licence, but you are able to drive on your own. The only real difference between your G2 and your G is the alcohol allowance. On a full G you can have a BAC of 0.08; on your G2 it's flat zero.

So really it's just one year until you can drive.

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ce-new-drivers
I understood that Ontario will take prior driving experience into consideration and 'knock off' some of the time you need to hold a G1?

Old May 17th 2014, 4:37 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong, I had a quick skim and didn't see it but correct me if I'm mistaken! On my phone on holiday so not double checking myself... (Am currently brushing teeth! )
Old May 18th 2014, 2:57 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I understood that Ontario will take prior driving experience into consideration and 'knock off' some of the time you need to hold a G1?

If you had just got your full UK licence, perhaps. I'm not sure about a provisional licence though, but having a read through this seems to indicate that, a) no exchange of provisional licence is possible (think this was known anyway), and b) it mentions you can self declare up to one year of driving history by showing a valid licence. It doesn't mention wether that is provisional or full, but I'd guess full.
Old May 18th 2014, 3:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
If you had just got your full UK licence, perhaps. I'm not sure about a provisional licence though, but having a read through this seems to indicate that, a) no exchange of provisional licence is possible (think this was known anyway), and b) it mentions you can self declare up to one year of driving history by showing a valid licence. It doesn't mention wether that is provisional or full, but I'd guess full.
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing...l-Licence.aspx
Probationary licences are not eligible for an exchange; however, the experience may be credited towards the mandatory wait period for the G2 road test.
and
If the licence has expired over one year and/or is a novice class licence, you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

To drive in Toronto or Ottawa follow this procedure

1- Remove brain from head
2- Place in backside
3- Drive
4- Ignore red light, pedestrians and bikes

You are now fully qualified! � ����
Old May 18th 2014, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
To drive in Toronto or Ottawa follow this procedure

1- Remove brain from head
2- Place in backside
3- Drive
4- Ignore red light, pedestrians and bikes

You are now fully qualified! ������

Old May 18th 2014, 3:10 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing...l-Licence.aspx
Probationary licences are not eligible for an exchange; however, the experience may be credited towards the mandatory wait period for the G2 road test.
and
If the licence has expired over one year and/or is a novice class licence, you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years.
Thanks I didn't think to check the DT website. It'd be amazing if the Gov website and DT contained links to each other about this type of info.
Old May 18th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Just to piggy back on this. My husband has held his provisional licence for several years and has taken lessons on and off over those years. He's now in his early 30's. Does this go toward the G2?
Old May 24th 2014, 4:44 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

My provisional counted for one year's experience when I applied for an Ontario G1. That was a while back, but I don't think the rules have changed. In practical terms that means you can book and take the G1 exit test right away, or as soon as an appointment is available. You still need to spend a year on the G2 before going for a full G.