Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving License Conundrum

Driving License Conundrum

Old Mar 13th 2018, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

ethump is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License Conundrum

As a new resident in Ontario, I need to legitimise my driving license.

Just been to a Service Ontario office and they have told me I can do a direct exchange of my full UK license for a Ontario G license, however I must surrender my UK License. Also, they will not issue equivalent motorcycle entitlements on the Ontario license. I would have to go through the M1 and M2 here in Canada.

I still visit the UK a lot and wish to ride the motorcycle I keep there. At this stage, I don't have the time, nor resources to complete the M1 & M2 in Canada. How can I continue to ride the bike in the if I've surrendered my UK driving license?

As I understand the reasons for this surrendering business stem from the fact it is illegal in (Canadian) law to have two valid drivers licenses in Canada. Probably due to licenses being issued provincially as opposed to federally.

Does the MTO actually tell the UK Authorities (DVLA) that I've surrendered my license, and what does this actually mean from a UK standpoint? The UK doesn't care how many licenses I have (indeed, I have another valid license from another country).

What if I tell the DVLA that I've lost my license and need a new one sending? Will they tell Ontario?

Anyone been in this situation?

cheers
E
Old Mar 13th 2018, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License Conundrum

If you no longer live in the UK then your British driving license is invalid anyway as you no longer live at the address stated on it.
Even if you still lived in the UK but moved house and didn’t change your address then that’s illegal.
Same deal unfortunately.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
If you no longer live in the UK then your British driving license is invalid anyway as you no longer live at the address stated on it.
Same deal unfortunately.
Yeah, I kinda know that. I have a house and family in the UK so I sort of live in two countries. (Three, actually. It's a long story......)
Old Mar 14th 2018, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ethump
As a new resident in Ontario, I need to legitimise my driving license.

Just been to a Service Ontario office and they have told me I can do a direct exchange of my full UK license for a Ontario G license, however I must surrender my UK License. Also, they will not issue equivalent motorcycle entitlements on the Ontario license. I would have to go through the M1 and M2 here in Canada.

I still visit the UK a lot and wish to ride the motorcycle I keep there. At this stage, I don't have the time, nor resources to complete the M1 & M2 in Canada. How can I continue to ride the bike in the if I've surrendered my UK driving license?

As I understand the reasons for this surrendering business stem from the fact it is illegal in (Canadian) law to have two valid drivers licenses in Canada. Probably due to licenses being issued provincially as opposed to federally.

Does the MTO actually tell the UK Authorities (DVLA) that I've surrendered my license, and what does this actually mean from a UK standpoint? The UK doesn't care how many licenses I have (indeed, I have another valid license from another country).

What if I tell the DVLA that I've lost my license and need a new one sending? Will they tell Ontario?

Anyone been in this situation?

cheers
E
The wiki on the subject is pretty good and very clear.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driver...Canada#Ontario

1. To get an Ontario licence you MUST surrender your UK licence
2. Ontario does not exchange a UK motorbike licence, but will give you 'credit' if you have at least 2 years experience, but you must do all the same tests, you just don't then have to wait two years for the final test
3. It is illegal (with fines) under both Ontario and UK law to hold or try to hold two licences at the same time. Nowt to do with provincial vs federal.

Ask me how I feel about this as a recent returnee who had to suck it up and surrender my UK licence WITH a full UK motorbike licence? Not good, but hey, just a few new bits of nonsense to deal with is all!

Please don't even think about trying to hold on to your UK licence, you could get into a lot of trouble.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
The wiki on the subject is pretty good and very clear.
Hurla, thanks for the pointer to the FAQ... didn't look there

Do you know where in UK law it says one can't have multiple licenses? I've had a UK and Bermuda license for more than 20 years without issue. As have a great many friends. I get that Canada says no to multiple licenses.

OK, so lets flesh this out. The lady at the Service Ontario office said that I can drive in Canada on my UK license for 60 days. I asked her to define when the 60 days started, she said "from when you last arrived in the country". So technically, from what she said, so long as I leave and return every 60 days, I'm good. As it goes, I will easily meet that cadence of travel.

After surrendering your UK license and subsequently returning to UK, what was the process to get your UK license back? Trust you got all your original entitlements back?
Old Mar 14th 2018, 12:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I kinda know that. I have a house and family in the UK so I sort of live in two countries. (Three, actually. It's a long story......)
You may have family and a house in the UK but you are a resident of Canada and as such must abide by the laws here.

I don't think there would be an issue if you took a photocopy of your license (paper and/or photocard) for your records but you cannot hold onto an original nor try to obtain a 2nd license from the UK. To do so would cause you one heap of trouble.

You may want to have a read of this thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...io-one-905837/

Also https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/k...licence-in-uk/
Visitors may drive small vehicles (motorcycles and vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats) for up to 12 months from the date of last entry into Great Britain. Driving is not permitted after this time and they would not be permitted to sit a driving test or obtain a British licence.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 14th 2018 at 12:31 am.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 12:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

After surrendering your UK license and subsequently returning to UK, what was the process to get your UK license back? Trust you got all your original entitlements back?
You simply complete Form D1 and exchange your Ontario licence. It's free of charge and providing you include your GB driving licence number on the form you'll get a new GB photocard driving licence with your full UK entitlements.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Not sure about ontario, but ICBC in BC inform DVLA, that the uk licence has been swapped for a canadian one
cheers
jerry
Old Mar 14th 2018, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer
Hi
Not sure about ontario, but ICBC in BC inform DVLA, that the uk licence has been swapped for a canadian one
cheers
jerry
+1, they certainly do. You can use the DVLA website to obtain a copy of your license details after you exchange and it will say invalid.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above is sound advice. I would recommend just exchanging your GB one as has been stated - if you return to the UK you can get it back with your full entitlement as long as you retain your old GB license no. so there is no risk to losing that.

Now the other hidden variable is you say you hold a driving license from another country - you could always exchange that one if it is eligible for exchange and you really don't want to give up your UK one - but as has been stated this is pointless as the UK one becomes invalid as soon as you start residing outside the UK.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
+1, they certainly do. You can use the DVLA website to obtain a copy of your license details after you exchange and it will say invalid.
Yes DVLA are definitely notified. Your UK licence will be invalid.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 7:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes DVLA are definitely notified. Your UK licence will be invalid.
I checked my DL on the DVLA website and it does not show up as invalid.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Try hiring a car on your UK licence next time you travel back. My bet is you'll be told the licence is invalid. That's what happened to someone I know.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I checked my DL on the DVLA website and it does not show up as invalid.
When did you exchange it?
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You might live three countries but you can only be resident in one. Where do you pay income tax?

Your UK motorbike insurance will also be affected by your country of residency, as will your NHS eligibility.

You have to decide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.